OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 02:05:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Praying/Prayer  (Read 1326 times) Average Rating: 0
Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« on: June 05, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »

This issue may have been raised before this time; however, I think it may not be a bad idea discuss about this. What do you folks here use for praying on a regular basis, privately I mean? Do you use like a specific book/s for prayer? If that is the case, what do you use?
I guess praying privately is something that we do on individual basis, and there fore it may be true that it  may evolve with time. some times I have a hard time what to use for praying, or when to pray? So, if some one has any suggestions/ idea, I will be grateful.

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
chatelaa

Faith: Orthodox Christian (Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia)

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »

I use the 'Old Believer's' Prayerbook for my morning as well as evening prayers (without all the bowing, because I'm disabled---I can't bow!):-)

Then after my morning prayers, I recite (outloud) the Biblical passages for the day (according to the Calendar).

But what I love doing is the Jesus Prayer.  One of the great things--and yes, blessings, in the 1960's (in my opinion)was the publication in English of the WAY OF THE PILGRIM.  In it, as you know, are instructions on how to pray the Prayer of the Heart, or as it's frequently referred to, as the Jesus Prayer.  I've been praying it now for over 40 years.   It is such a love to do because whenever I have a nasty or prejudical/judgemental thought, I can now easily revert my mind and attention back to the Jesus Prayer, with love. And that settles my spirit.

I also like to go outside this time of year and when I pass by plants, I touch their leaves and concentrate on Love and I thank God for His gifts like the leaf I'm touching. Or the sky.  Or clouds.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:35:01 AM »

A very helpful prayer is this set of 24 short prayers by St. Nerses Shnorhali:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cq09AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA195&lpg=PA195&dq=shnorhali+'I+confess+with+faith%22&source=bl&ots=XogPcd5BD1&sig=3AItCfnjBu6aaCdpqjIxuL9AmCc&hl=en&ei=nF4KTJ3jLJLEM8Xj2LUE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCYQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

Of course, the Jesus Prayer is always appropriate and helpful in private devotions.

Ask your priest, though.  He should have good suggestions for you.   Smiley

Miro

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

All i want is jesus

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:10:24 AM »

A very helpful prayer is this set of 24 short prayers by St. Nerses Shnorhali:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cq09AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA195&lpg=PA195&dq=shnorhali+'I+confess+with+faith%22&source=bl&ots=XogPcd5BD1&sig=3AItCfnjBu6aaCdpqjIxuL9AmCc&hl=en&ei=nF4KTJ3jLJLEM8Xj2LUE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCYQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

Of course, the Jesus Prayer is always appropriate and helpful in private devotions.

Ask your priest, though.  He should have good suggestions for you.   Smiley
what is the jesus prayer?? you mean our father in haven..?

No secret to success,result of:
LEARNING FRM FAILURE
GOOD PREPRATION
HARDWORK
Only dead fish swim downstream !!are you dead? no so dont let stream kill you
All good is hard,All evil is easy.DyingLosingCheatingMediocrity is easy.Stay away from easy
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me (a sinner)

It is described in simple terms in the book Way of the Pilgrim" which describes the travels and spiritual development of a Russian Christian in the 19th century. Highly recommended.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Miro

All i want is jesus

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me (a sinner)

It is described in simple terms in the book Way of the Pilgrim" which describes the travels and spiritual development of a Russian Christian in the 19th century. Highly recommended.

Father Peter
i see! thanks

LEARNING FRM FAILURE
GOOD PREPRATION
HARDWORK
All good is hard,All evil is easy.DyingLosingCheatingMediocrity is easy.Stay away from easy
Miro

All i want is jesus

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »

psalm 38 -awsome prayer in times of GUILT OR NEED or incapability

A Psalm of David. To bring to remembrance. O Lord, do not rebuke me in Your wrath, Nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure! For Your arrows pierce me deeply, And Your hand presses me down. There is no soundness in my flesh Because of Your anger, Nor any health in my bones Because of my sin. For my iniquities have gone over my head; Like a heavy burden they are too heavy for me. My wounds are foul and festering Because of my foolishness. I am troubled, I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long. For my loins are full of inflammation, And there is no soundness in my flesh. I am feeble and severely broken; I groan because of the turmoil of my heart. Lord, all my desire is before You; And my sighing is not hidden from You. My heart pants, my strength fails me; As for the light of my eyes, it also has gone from me. My loved ones and my friends stand aloof from my plague, And my relatives stand afar off.

Those also who seek my life lay snares for me; Those who seek my hurt speak of destruction, And plan deception all the day long. But I, like a deaf man, do not hear; And I am like a mute who does not open his mouth. Thus I am like a man who does not hear, And in whose mouth is no response. For in You, O Lord, I hope; You will hear, O Lord my God. For I said, "Hear me, lest they rejoice over me, Lest, when my foot slips, they exalt themselves against me." For I am ready to fall, And my sorrow is continually before me. For I will declare my iniquity; I will be in anguish over my sin. But my enemies are vigorous, and they are strong; And those who hate me wrongfully have multiplied. Those also who render evil for good, They are my adversaries, because I follow what is good. Do not forsake me, O Lord; O my God, be not far from me! Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!

LEARNING FRM FAILURE
GOOD PREPRATION
HARDWORK
coptickev

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »

This issue may have been raised before this time; however, I think it may not be a bad idea discuss about this. What do you folks here use for praying on a regular basis, privately I mean? Do you use like a specific book/s for prayer? If that is the case, what do you use?
I guess praying privately is something that we do on individual basis, and there fore it may be true that it  may evolve with time. some times I have a hard time what to use for praying, or when to pray? So, if some one has any suggestions/ idea, I will be grateful.
I use the Agpeya, the Coptic Book of the Hours. It has a rule of prayer for the whole day, and it's the same prayers we use in Church. I add a private ad-hoc prayer at the beginning and end of each set of hours. I also use the Jesus Prayer and say the Our Father first thing upon awakening.
Miro

All i want is jesus

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »

I use the Agpeya, the Coptic Book of the Hours. It has a rule of prayer for the whole day, and it's the same prayers we use in Church. I add a private ad-hoc prayer at the beginning and end of each set of hours. I also use the Jesus Prayer and say the Our Father first thing upon awakening.
u read all teh agpeya ? for example for morning prayer? u read it all? or  just the " thanking prayer " ?

LEARNING FRM FAILURE
GOOD PREPRATION
HARDWORK
coptickev

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 05:12:01 PM »

u read all teh agpeya ? for example for morning prayer? u read it all? or  just the " thanking prayer " ?
I do three psalms per hour when by myself. I read all the rest.
Miro

All i want is jesus

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 05:19:16 PM »

[/quote]
I do three psalms per hour when by myself. I read all the rest.
[/quote]
keep it up !

LEARNING FRM FAILURE
GOOD PREPRATION
HARDWORK
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »

Thank you all; sorry for the late response, however.

I use the 'Old Believer's' Prayerbook for my morning as well as evening prayers (without all the bowing, because I'm disabled---I can't bow!):-)

Then after my morning prayers, I recite (outloud) the Biblical passages for the day (according to the Calendar).

But what I love doing is the Jesus Prayer.  One of the great things--and yes, blessings, in the 1960's (in my opinion)was the publication in English of the WAY OF THE PILGRIM.  In it, as you know, are instructions on how to pray the Prayer of the Heart, or as it's frequently referred to, as the Jesus Prayer.  I've been praying it now for over 40 years.   It is such a love to do because whenever I have a nasty or prejudical/judgemental thought, I can now easily revert my mind and attention back to the Jesus Prayer, with love. And that settles my spirit.

I also like to go outside this time of year and when I pass by plants, I touch their leaves and concentrate on Love and I thank God for His gifts like the leaf I'm touching. Or the sky.  Or clouds.

Chatelaa, thank you for the response. I did not know what 'Old believer's' prayer book is before this. I am trying to Google it;  do you have any resources/link that may help me know more about the prayer book? The same for 'WAY OF THE PILGRIM'.

Salpy, thank you for the link; I will try to talk to a priest as well.

Miro, psalms are nice for praying; it is just that some times I feel I need to have consistency when praying. Coptickev, Agepya could be long when you have to work; thank you for the link though. 

He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 12:10:35 PM »

Agepya could be long when you have to work; thank you for the link though. 

I know what you mean about having to rush off to work in the morning.  It's very hard to take even a few minutes to pray in the morning before work.  

You may want to look at the "arrow prayers" on Erkohet.com:

http://www.erkohet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:aselection&catid=40:smnufasting&Itemid=16

These are not only quick, but they are the sort of prayers that can be repeated throughout the day.  Also, look at some of the other prayers on the same website:

http://www.erkohet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=22

Some of these are pretty short and can be used when you are in a hurry.

The eleventh of the prayers of St. Nerses Shnorhali, which I linked above, is a quick but good prayer to say before you go to work:

Jesus, Wisdom of the Father,
Grant me wisdom
That I may, at all times,
Think, speak and do before Thee
That which is good in Thy sight.
And save me from evil thoughts, words and deeds.
Have mercy upon Thy creatures,
And upon me, a great sinner.

Elijah
Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 01:12:45 PM »

Agepya could be long when you have to work; thank you for the link though. 

I know what you mean about having to rush off to work in the morning.  It's very hard to take even a few minutes to pray in the morning before work.  

You may want to look at the "arrow prayers" on Erkohet.com:

http://www.erkohet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:aselection&catid=40:smnufasting&Itemid=16

These are not only quick, but they are the sort of prayers that can be repeated throughout the day.  Also, look at some of the other prayers on the same website:

http://www.erkohet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=22

Some of these are pretty short and can be used when you are in a hurry.

The eleventh of the prayers of St. Nerses Shnorhali, which I linked above, is a quick but good prayer to say before you go to work:

Jesus, Wisdom of the Father,
Grant me wisdom
That I may, at all times,
Think, speak and do before Thee
That which is good in Thy sight.
And save me from evil thoughts, words and deeds.
Have mercy upon Thy creatures,
And upon me, a great sinner.

Thank you, Salpy; I will look in to that.

Elijah
Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:38 AM »

This could be helpful, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG_3pZvMQ4g

Elijah
Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »

This could also help:
http://aggreen.net/praying/orthpray.html

Tags: prayer Oriental Orthodox prayers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: