OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 04:42:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music with swearing  (Read 4120 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »

Actually, Heorhij, I was thinking the same thing today...it's so hard to shake off a perhaps too pietistic past, but how does one switch over to enjoying and intentionally listening to  swear words when they bring up nothing but difficult and traumatic images of severe bullying in the schoolyard, abuse, and other horrifying experiences?

Of course not. And no one commits adultery because Tristan and Isolde did.

Love never fails.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »

Actually, Heorhij, I was thinking the same thing today...it's so hard to shake off a perhaps too pietistical past, but how does one switch over to enjoying and intentionally listening to  swear words when they bring up nothing but difficult and traumatic images of severe bullying in the schoolyard, abuse, and other horrifying experiences?

Don't try.  If you're not in the habit of using these then don't start.  If you don't enjoy hearing these words, then don't try to enjoy hearing them.  Remain as you are.  There's nothing wrong with being well-raised (much better than being well-bred).

But don't judge out of hand those who don't have the same upbringing or those who don't necessarily see a problem. Charity is the rule.  Don't look down on the Gentile for his uncircumcision, but at the same time don't seek to become uncircumcised.

No, Tristan and Isolt merely help them feel justified and righteous for doing so.  At least Lancelot and Guinivere destroyed a kingdom (and proved penitent in the end).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 09:22:26 PM »

Heorhij, are you arguing that art has no influence on those who enjoy it? Art is extremely powerful, and many people are influenced by it either negatively or positively. You may be able to watch a movie that explicitly portrays adultery, fornication, violence, profanity, etc. without it effecting you. But many people are effected, especially young people. They are prone to emulate immoral behavior that is artistically portrayed as "cool" and fashionable. So, I don't think it is "Puritanical" to condemn artistic expressions that promote immorality and evil.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »

^ Even more than young people.  How many movies have come out in the past 40 years glorifying the middle aged married woman who has an affair?  Even worse than Tristan and Isolt (who came to tragic ends) these movies equate marital infidelity with regaining youthful vigor and a taste for life.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 09:41:44 PM »

Actually, Heorhij, I was thinking the same thing today...it's so hard to shake off a perhaps too pietistical past, but how does one switch over to enjoying and intentionally listening to  swear words when they bring up nothing but difficult and traumatic images of severe bullying in the schoolyard, abuse, and other horrifying experiences?

Don't try.  If you're not in the habit of using these then don't start.  If you don't enjoy hearing these words, then don't try to enjoy hearing them.  Remain as you are.  There's nothing wrong with being well-raised (much better than being well-bred).

I am "well-raised," too, in that I do not swear. But my "dog" in this "fight" (thread) is not about swearing.

But don't judge out of hand those who don't have the same upbringing or those who don't necessarily see a problem. Charity is the rule.  Don't look down on the Gentile for his uncircumcision, but at the same time don't seek to become uncircumcised.

No, Tristan and Isolt merely help them feel justified and righteous for doing so.  At least Lancelot and Guinivere destroyed a kingdom (and proved penitent in the end).

I don;t know, I am not really all that familiar with Tristan and Isolde fairy tale, but I do know that in my country, Ukraine, there have been, traditionally, hundreds of extremely beautiful folk songs about forbidden love, and they have been breaking young people's hearts for centuries, and I am sure they, these songs, did nothing to push young folks to adultery. They merely reflected the sad situation existing in the society, where marriages were arranged and feelings of young people were trampled upon. What promoted adultery were the laws and habits of the society. Folk songs just served as a channel for young people to channel their desperation, to cry their tears out. And I am aesthetically overwhelmed, "catharcised," when I hear these songs. My heart goes out to these young "adulterers," and boils against their parents and their society and their Czar or whoever who was on top, because they are real, genuine, and I have compassion with them, and not with the stupid laws that existed back then. And I am so happy that today, my daughter does not have to ask my permission, whom to marry, etc.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 09:43:20 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »

This is veering dangerously off-track, but I tend to sympathize with Heorhij's views on the romantic folk songs. Stories of star-crossed lovers always moved me greatly (Thomas Hardy was a huge favourite of this genre), and yet I never did so much as hold the hand of a man I loved or cared for, so they must not have corrupted me too greatly.

A short while ago, Heorhij, was the annual exhibition of student's work at our prestigious acadamy of art and design, which I, as per my little tradition, attended. I wandered about, looking at the students' work until I discovered a little room-one of the exhibits, filled with embroidered rushniki and a film the student (of Ukrainian ancestory) had compiled of herself singing in the traditional "beliy holos" style, the old yearning, folk ballads of bygone days-songs on this very theme of young lovers, etc. I was so entranced, and happy and content, just sitting in this little darkened room, full of the embroidered clothes and watching and listening to this girl's voice, singing these ancient songs....it was for me, a strangely moving and spiritual experience....

Excuse me, I just had to share....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:20:48 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »

^ Even more than young people.  How many movies have come out in the past 40 years glorifying the middle aged married woman who has an affair?  Even worse than Tristan and Isolt (who came to tragic ends) these movies equate marital infidelity with regaining youthful vigor and a taste for life.

Exactly!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2010, 11:07:50 PM »

Don't try.  If you're not in the habit of using these then don't start.  If you don't enjoy hearing these words, then don't try to enjoy hearing them.  Remain as you are.  There's nothing wrong with being well-raised (much better than being well-bred).

But don't judge out of hand those who don't have the same upbringing or those who don't necessarily see a problem. Charity is the rule.  Don't look down on the Gentile for his uncircumcision, but at the same time don't seek to become uncircumcised.

Yes. This is truly a huge challenge.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:48 AM »

Art is extremely powerful, and many people are influenced by it either negatively or positively. You may be able to watch a movie that explicitly portrays adultery, fornication, violence, profanity, etc. without it effecting you. But many people are effected, especially young people. They are prone to emulate immoral behavior that is artistically portrayed as "cool" and fashionable. So, I don't think it is "Puritanical" to condemn artistic expressions that promote immorality and evil.

Selam

The older I get the less I want to have anything to do with all this. Please don't think of me as a moral paragon, I simply don't want those images/words in my head.
And I do think it has an effect on people - look at the level of profanity used in daily life, for example.

(Also I too despise the "middle-aged woman finds true self/true happiness by having an affair/getting a divorce" genre.
As if.)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
sodr2

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

القديس الانبا رويس

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 09:06:59 AM »

By the time of the '90s such had become common place that no one but a Senate committee would have a problem with it (and then only if your wife happened to be offended, which is why I did NOT vote Gore in 2000).
Wait, what? If you listened to music and your wife was offended... what would happen?

"Happiness depends on the relationship between man and God." Pope Shenouda III
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »

For the average joe, absolutely nothing (aside from maybe sleeping on the couch).  If you're a US Senator, then you have to call all sorts of subcommittees and try to censor those dirty, dirty rappers.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »

I see the latest discussion approaching too closely to politics for my comfort, so please be careful.
Tags: music foul language 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: