OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 01:37:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Absolution necessary for forgiveness?  (Read 7494 times) Average Rating: 0
David Lanier

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South - OCA

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2010, 11:40:05 AM »

Don't say anything to the priest about the parishioner, or at least make the story so vague that he won't know who you are talking about; you do not need to put yourself in a position to be tempted into judging the fellow - there are people who sin less in 14 years than I do in one week, so who knows whether they need confession as often as I do? 

Otherwise, your former priest's policy was a sound one - thank you for sharing.

Fr. George thank you. I will keep hush about it. To clarify though, the person told me they had not been to confession since they were 14 years old, not in 14 years. They're probably somewhere in their late 40's or early 50's now.

As far as judging, absolutely not. I can judge myself to be unworthy enough quite easily to know better than to judge someone else!  Tongue
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »

May I change gears on this topic just a bit?

Someone in my parish told me that they had not gone to confession since they were 14 years old (they're middle aged now). At first I thought I should bring this up with the priest, but then thought that this isn't really any of my business and so I should just not concern myself.

The more I think about this though, the more I believe this it is not Orthodox for someone to be receiving Communion having not gone to confession in so long. In the parish I converted into some 20 years ago, the priest would give everyone until Holy Wednesday every year to come to confession if they wanted to receive Communion on Pascha and thereafter (until they did come for confession, that is). In this way he made sure everyone came to confession at least once a year.

Personally, I feel compelled to go to confession whenever some transgression or sin is weighing on my conscience. I haven't said anything to the priest about this yet. Your thoughts?

How about sharing with him, gently and in a general way, the Orthodox approach? The following brochure by Conciliar Press is quite good and may be a non-confrontational way to make your point: Confession: The Healing Sacrament. $1.25. http://www.conciliarpress.com/confession-the-healing-sacrament.html

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
David Lanier

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South - OCA

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »

How about sharing with him, gently and in a general way, the Orthodox approach? The following brochure by Conciliar Press is quite good and may be a non-confrontational way to make your point: Confession: The Healing Sacrament. $1.25. http://www.conciliarpress.com/confession-the-healing-sacrament.html

We have those pamphlets in our church. I am taking Fr. George's advice to just keep quiet about it. It's not my place to judge or to decide who should receive Communion and who shouldn't. The person who told me they hadn't been to confession since they were 14 years old is cradle Orthodox (obviously since they were only 14 when they last confessed). I would like to see our priest include ways to discuss the Sacrament in his homilies and encourage people to come more frequently, but again, it's not my place to worry about these things even if I believe them to not be in adherence to Holy Orthodoxy.

If I had a spiritual father I would ask him about it, but I don't so I won't.
Tags: sin absolution forgiveness Peter Moghila 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: