OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:26:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Both now and ever and unto....?  (Read 756 times)
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: June 03, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »

Though I know ancient Greek pretty well and my modern Greek is OK, one thing that puzzles me is how to translate the end of the doxology.  (Forgive me, I don't have Greek font on this computer).  kai nin kai aei kai eis tous aionas ton aionon.  is most often rendered, "both now and ever and unto the ages of ages."  This follows closely the Latin text which reads, et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum.  Now, I've noticed some Greek priests (and I don't know if this is in the Greek service books or not) say, "now and ever and forever." 

The term forever really doesn't strike me as being synonymous with the aion.  If I understand aion correctly as being an "age" and this age that we currently live in is the one that Christ established following his triumph over death, but which will come to an end at the final judgment, then I think this is a mistranslation.  I need someone with more theological linguistic grounding than myself to give me an answer since I am at a loss.  Evcharisdho.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »

I think the "now and ever and forever" is born out of a text that was more common in our Archdiocese years ago, and I have a feeling (this is opinion, mind you) that it was to shorten the phrase and make it more "relevant."  Thankfully, most priests I know never utter the ending in that fashion.  I generally hear only two variations, being:

"both now and ever and to the ages of ages," and
"both now and forever and to the ages of ages."

(I have not included variances in "to" versus "unto.")

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:54:47 PM »

Though I know ancient Greek pretty well and my modern Greek is OK, one thing that puzzles me is how to translate the end of the doxology.  (Forgive me, I don't have Greek font on this computer).  kai nin kai aei kai eis tous aionas ton aionon.  is most often rendered, "both now and ever and unto the ages of ages."  This follows closely the Latin text which reads, et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum.  Now, I've noticed some Greek priests (and I don't know if this is in the Greek service books or not) say, "now and ever and forever." 

The term forever really doesn't strike me as being synonymous with the aion.  If I understand aion correctly as being an "age" and this age that we currently live in is the one that Christ established following his triumph over death, but which will come to an end at the final judgment, then I think this is a mistranslation.  I need someone with more theological linguistic grounding than myself to give me an answer since I am at a loss.  Evcharisdho.
"forever" is a paraphrase of the phrase "ages of ages." All liturgical languages, which have words for "forever," none the less translate it "age(s[it is not plural here in all languages]) of ages."  English should follow suit, especially as it is a Semitism with Biblical overtones (cf. "King of Kings").

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:09:51 PM »

If I understand aion correctly as being an "age" and this age that we currently live in is the one that Christ established following his triumph over death, but which will come to an end at the final judgment, then I think this is a mistranslation. 

The literal translation itself has already been dealt with. On a theological level, however, "ages of ages" does, in fact, mean "forever," i.e. starting now and continuing into the fullness of the Kingdom, which has no end (a la the Symbol of Faith).

Your argument seems to flip that on its head. We're not proclaiming that the glory of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit lasts until the end of this "age" (that would be Marcellian), but, rather, that it is without end. Just a Semitic way of saying that.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: