OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:22:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy: Great Britain and Ireland  (Read 1926 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: June 01, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »

01 June 2010
Russian Church gets 18 new parishes in Britain and Ireland
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=7328

St. Petersburg, June 1, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church joined 18 new parishes to the Dioceses of Sourozh of Britain and Ireland at its meeting in St. Petersburg on Monday.

Four of the new parishes are in Scotland - in Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee.

Eleven others are in different parts of Britain, including North Humberside, Devon, Hampshire, Essex, Tyne and Wear, West Midlands, East Sussex and Dorset.

There is an Orthodox parish in Belfast and another in the Isle of Man.

Three more Orthodox parishes are in Ireland - in Watford, Galway and Cork.

REMEMBER:  IN 2007 the Moscow Synod designated the Third Sunday after Pentecost as the Feast of All Saints of Great Britain and Ireland.  That is 13th June this year.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »

01 June 2010
Russian Church gets 18 new parishes in Britain and Ireland
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=7328

St. Petersburg, June 1, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church joined 18 new parishes to the Dioceses of Sourozh of Britain and Ireland at its meeting in St. Petersburg on Monday.

Four of the new parishes are in Scotland - in Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee.

Eleven others are in different parts of Britain, including North Humberside, Devon, Hampshire, Essex, Tyne and Wear, West Midlands, East Sussex and Dorset.

There is an Orthodox parish in Belfast and another in the Isle of Man.

Three more Orthodox parishes are in Ireland - in Watford, Galway and Cork.

REMEMBER:  IN 2007 the Moscow Synod designated the Third Sunday after Pentecost as the Feast of All Saints of Great Britain and Ireland.  That is 13th June this year.
Where did they come from?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »

I know that Ireland has now about 20,000 Russians, those involved with the IT industry.

I have sent a query to two friends in the UK.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »

Where did they come from?

'Newly established'.

http://www.mospat.ru/en/2010/06/01/news19872/

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:13:16 PM »

Mike, many thanks for that reference

By the decision of the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church the
following newly established parishes are included in the Sourozh diocese:

St. Kentingern in Glasgow (Scotland);
St. Luke in Tanbridge-Wales (Kent);
St. Patrick of Ireland in Waterford (Ireland);
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Galway (Ireland);
Holy Trinity in Cork (Ireland);
St. Elizabeth the Grand Duchess near Bodiam (East Sussex);
St. Finnnian of Clonard in Belfast (Northern Ireland);
King Edward the Martyr in Wimborn (Dorset);
Ss. Imperial Passion-Bearers in Douglas on the Isle of Man;
Nativity of Christ in Kingston upon Hall (North Humberside);
Holy Martyrs Grand Duchess Elizabeth and nun Barbara in Newton Abbot
(Devon);
St. Silouan of Athos in Southampton (Hampshire);
St. Andrew the-First-Called in Romford (Essex);
St. Macarius of Aberdeen in Aberdeen (Scotland);
Annunciation of the Mother of God in Dundee (Scotland);
St. Teneva of Scotland in Edinburgh (Scotland);
St. George the Victorious in Newcastle upon Tyne (Tyne and Wear);
All Saints of Britain (West Midlands).

http://www.mospat.ru/en/2010/06/01/news19872/

Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »

The word parish is used here in its technical sense.  At least some of those communities have existed for a while but have probably only just been granted parochial status.  Others of them I do not recognise so they are probably genuinely new.

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:43:45 PM »

The word parish is used here in its technical sense.  At least some of those communities have existed for a while but have probably only just been granted parochial status.  Others of them I do not recognise so they are probably genuinely new.

It is very pleasing to see recognition of these parish communities at the highest level.  May they prosper!

Have you had an Episcopal Assembly yet in your part of the world?

Is there any likelihood of the Sourozh Diocese and the communities of the Church Abroad effecting a union in Gt Britain?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:44:22 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »

We haven't.  Whether or not that is fortunate, I do not know.  What I personally think is that, before representatives of the different patriarchates try to get together, it would make sense for them to set their own houses in order.  The Moscow Patriarchate has two overlapping dioceses here - the Diocese of Sourozh and the ROCOR Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland.  The Constantinople Patriarchate has the Archdiocese of Thyateira, the Russian Tradition Vicariate of the Paris Exarchate, and a local Ukrainian arrangement (Diocese? Exarchate? I have no idea).  Even within this scheme, things don't match up as they have at least one parish that follows the Russian ustav and has all of the aesthetics of a Russian parish that belongs to Thateira and not the Russian Tradition vicariate.

Is there any likelihood of the Sourozh Diocese and the communities of the Church Abroad effecting a union in Gt Britain?

I have heard nothing for certain but informal word on the grapevine is that the Russian Church's solution is wider in scope that just the United Kingdom, and that the idea is to resuscitate Patriarch Alexei's proposal for a Metropolia of Western Europe. This would seem to me to make the most sense in terms of pan-Orthoox relations as such a metropolia would map more or less directly into the Antiochian and Romanian metropolias of Western Europe in geographical terms, as well as the Paris Exarchate for churches of Russian tradition under the Constantinople Patriarchate.  How closely this matches reality, I don't know.  Some speak of it as though it's a done deal and common knowledge while others are less sure.  To my knowledge, there has been nothing in terms of official announcement.

Presumably, under such an arrangement, the Russian Orthodox Church's presence in Great Britain and Ireland would be a single diocese, (leaving aside questions of the stavropegial parishes and missions).  I just hope we can drop this business of titular bishops while we're in the process.  My atlas of the United Kingdom knows of no city called Sourozh.  ROCOR has had bishops of London and Richmond, and now we have the same bishop as the German diocese, he is bishop of Berlin.  This seems to make sense to me - but Sourozh? Amphipolis? Sergievo? Thyateira? Kerch? Come on!  Many British people couldn't even pronounce them on their first attempt.

I think it is often too easy for those based in Moscow and London, with the thriving cathedral parishes of those cities, not to realise what it is like out in the missions in Protestant/secular Britain, and if they really don't think that perceived foreignness is a barrier to many people even considering exploring, let alone embracing, Orthodoxy, then they need to spend a few months with us in the missions and see the things that we simply cannot take for granted.  Placing the bishop's seat in a town or city that is recognisable as somewhere in Britain would be a very good start, in my opinion.

In Christ,
Michael

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »

According to OrthodoxWiki:  "The Diocese of Sourozh is a diocese of the Moscow Patriarchate in the United Kingdom. It was founded in 1962 by Metropolitan Anthony (Bloom) of Sourozh and takes its name from an ancient diocese in the Crimea which no longer has a bishop."  http://orthodoxwiki.org/Diocese_of_Sourozh

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »

Thank you, monkvasyl.

Yes, I know of the origins of the name but its location is rather my point.  I don't understand why a bishop of a diocese in Great Britain would have a titular see half way across the world instead of in Great Britain.  It would be like a bishop with a diocese in Russia being called the Bishop of New York, only in Britain this sort of thing does have an effect on how people perceive Orthodoxy.  My background is Anglican, and I have a number of Anglican friends whpo have some sympathy with Orthodox doctrine but they are reluctant to explore it any further because they say the culture of it is too alien for them.  It is difficult for me to know how to respond to that.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »

We haven't.  Whether or not that is fortunate, I do not know.  What I personally think is that, before representatives of the different patriarchates try to get together, it would make sense for them to set their own houses in order.  The Moscow Patriarchate has two overlapping dioceses here - the Diocese of Sourozh and the ROCOR Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland.  The Constantinople Patriarchate has the Archdiocese of Thyateira, the Russian Tradition Vicariate of the Paris Exarchate, and a local Ukrainian arrangement (Diocese? Exarchate? I have no idea).  Even within this scheme, things don't match up as they have at least one parish that follows the Russian ustav and has all of the aesthetics of a Russian parish that belongs to Thateira and not the Russian Tradition vicariate.

I have heard nothing for certain but informal word on the grapevine is that the Russian Church's solution is wider in scope that just the United Kingdom, and that the idea is to resuscitate Patriarch Alexei's proposal for a Metropolia of Western Europe. This would seem to me to make the most sense in terms of pan-Orthoox relations as such a metropolia would map more or less directly into the Antiochian and Romanian metropolias of Western Europe in geographical terms, as well as the Paris Exarchate for churches of Russian tradition under the Constantinople Patriarchate.  How closely this matches reality, I don't know.  Some speak of it as though it's a done deal and common knowledge while others are less sure.  To my knowledge, there has been nothing in terms of official announcement.

Presumably, under such an arrangement, the Russian Orthodox Church's presence in Great Britain and Ireland would be a single diocese, (leaving aside questions of the stavropegial parishes and missions).  I just hope we can drop this business of titular bishops while we're in the process.  My atlas of the United Kingdom knows of no city called Sourozh.  ROCOR has had bishops of London and Richmond, and now we have the same bishop as the German diocese, he is bishop of Berlin.  This seems to make sense to me - but Sourozh? Amphipolis? Sergievo? Thyateira? Kerch? Come on!  Many British people couldn't even pronounce them on their first attempt.

I think it is often too easy for those based in Moscow and London, with the thriving cathedral parishes of those cities, not to realise what it is like out in the missions in Protestant/secular Britain, and if they really don't think that perceived foreignness is a barrier to many people even considering exploring, let alone embracing, Orthodoxy, then they need to spend a few months with us in the missions and see the things that we simply cannot take for granted.  Placing the bishop's seat in a town or city that is recognisable as somewhere in Britain would be a very good start, in my opinion.

In Christ,
Michael
I'm all for getting rid of the titular sees. GB is special case in that there is law etc. which prevent anyone but the established Anglican bishop in established sees. But you are right, some of the fault is our own.  Abolishing the concept of "Diaspora" in the places where it has been replaced by a local Church is the urgent need.  That might be tricky in places like GB where there are lots of immigrants from the autocephalous Churches, but since all of them are now in the EU with Great Britain, except the Church of Albania, there too diaspora has become outmoded.  The existence of mulitple jurisdictions within jurisdictions shows how absurd the system is.

Interesting that you say Bishop Ware hasn't called an EA. I wonder what is up with that.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:34:20 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Noddy999

Jurisdiction: Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »

Metropolitan Kallistos Ware is currently a titular metropolitan of the Ecumenical Patriarchate serving as an assistant bishop in the Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: