OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:53:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic prostrations  (Read 1418 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: June 01, 2010, 03:47:59 AM »

When are the appropriate times to make prostrations when reciting the hours? I have a copy of the Agpeya, and was wondering.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 12:15:22 PM »

When are the appropriate times to make prostrations when reciting the hours? I have a copy of the Agpeya, and was wondering.

There are times when we say the word worship, as referring to worshiping God where we do the sign of the Cross, or prostrate.  When we say "Lord have mercy" we do the sign of the Cross or prostrate.  When we say Lord Jesus Christ, we do the sign of the Cross or prostrate at His most holy name.  When we make mention of the Trinity, we do the sign of the Cross or prostrate.  When we say "blessed be" or "glory be" to God, we do the sign of the Cross or prostrate.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but that is what I was taught.

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »

There are times when we say the word worship, as referring to worshiping God where we do the sign of the Cross, or prostrate.  When we say "Lord have mercy" we do the sign of the Cross or prostrate.  When we say Lord Jesus Christ, we do the sign of the Cross or prostrate at His most holy name.  When we make mention of the Trinity, we do the sign of the Cross or prostrate.  When we say "blessed be" or "glory be" to God, we do the sign of the Cross or prostrate.

God bless.

I've never experienced prostrations in a Coptic church while the Hours were being read. When you say "or prostrate", does that mean prostrations are done on certain days (e.g. during Lent) while only the Sign of the Cross is made on other days?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »

God bless.

I've never experienced prostrations in a Coptic church while the Hours were being read. When you say "or prostrate", does that mean prostrations are done on certain days (e.g. during Lent) while only the Sign of the Cross is made on other days?

No.  It's just a matter of personal decision.  Some people bow slightly and do the sign of the cross (actually in Church itself most).  But we are encouraged in the privacy of our homes to prostrate many times, subduing the body along with the spirit and soul to God.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »

No.  It's just a matter of personal decision.  Some people bow slightly and do the sign of the cross (actually in Church itself most).  But we are encouraged in the privacy of our homes to prostrate many times, subduing the body along with the spirit and soul to God.

Thanks
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: