OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 01:21:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the proper way to address a saint?  (Read 1451 times) Average Rating: 0
David Carroll

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

Holy Ephraim, pray for us!

« on: June 01, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »

I've recently decided to add the dimension of prayer through saints in my devotional life, something I never really took seriously before.  But I have a stumbling block: Should my address to the Saint in question always necessarily be in the vein of "pray for me", or is it permissible to ask the Saint to intervene personally?  Or does it depend on which Saint it is? E.g. Theotokos or St. George can intervene personally, but some "lesser" Saints must be asked to pray to God.

Pray that God would deliver me from hatred and pride.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »

Pray in both ways.

You will find examples of prayer to Saints in things such as Prayerbooks and Akathists.

Here is a website with Akathists to Saints in English

http://www.saintjonah.org/services/akathists.htm

Fr Ambrose
(Russian Orthodox Church)
David Carroll

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

Holy Ephraim, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »

Thank you, O Reclusive Celtic One!

Also, do EO Saints have patronages in the same way as the RC does?

Pray that God would deliver me from hatred and pride.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:54:25 PM »

About patronages: I've found patronage to be kind of odd in some ways. I can't remember the exact scenario, but for instance: Saint X was tortured by having his ear ripped off, and so you pray to him if you have an earache. That I personally find a bit too close to searching out just the right "magic spell" for a given ailment. Perhaps its just the excessive systemization I have trouble with.

But I think the saints, while always willing to help everyone, have particular interests based on what they are known for. St Mary of Egypt is known for her repentance after a life of sexual sin, so if one struggles in that area she is someone to turn to, because she knows something about it. The key is always to think of the saints as people, because they are. People have interests in specific areas, and so do the saints.

That has helped me, anyway.

[edit] I have a question about addressing saints as well. Many people refer to bishops as "Sayedna" or "Vladika". Would it be inappropriate to refer to a bishop, say, St Raphael of Brooklyn, as "Sayedna" in prayer, if it's meant in loving respect? I love hearing stories about people who knew saints personally when they were alive, and the family-like familiarity in that is beautiful.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:00:54 PM by bogdan » Logged
Tags: saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: