OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 08:15:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon question  (Read 474 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: May 28, 2010, 09:38:42 PM »

Today when I was at my local goodwill (looking for camping stuff) I found two framed icons. They are recess mounted in a gilded gold frame in a rather russian style with gold leaf and embossed into vinyl. There are no other markings that tell us where they are from. They were in the "frames" section so I bought them to prevent someone from buying them, throwing out the icons and re-using the frames.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:41:42 PM »

What is your question?

(p.s. Good move in rescuing them!)

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »

You were too fast for me! I hadn't attached the photo yet! laugh

I am wondering if anyone might know where they could be from. They smell old, if that makes any sense. There is some warping in the vinyl, likely due to the moisture here in the NW. The gold parts are very intricate and pressed into the vinyl, then gold leafed. The images are then printed onto the vinyl as well.

(I did not mean to have my huge septum ring front and center, sorry)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:56:19 PM by Quinault » Logged
Orthodox Swamp Thing

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - San Francisco & The West

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:59:09 PM »

Nice Icons... have them blessed and add them to your Prayer corner... I love icons and I can't have enough of them... but the wife has cut me off for the time being......
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 04:16:07 AM »

I am wondering if anyone might know where they could be from.

Your photo is a little unclear (was it taken as a reflection in a mirror? because the Christ icon is around the wrong way - He's blessing with His left hand!  Cheesy), but from the style of the figures, and the flame-shaped upper border, I would say Russian rather than Greek. Greek icons, if not rectangular, tend to have a simpler curved or "domed" upper border. The giveaway would be the language used in the inscriptions and in the text of the Gospel book Christ is holding. If you could provide a sharper shot, that would help a lot.

As for the age of the icons: Dating them would be easier if I had a photo in sharper focus, but, at a rough guess, these look like standard mass-produced work from the mid-to-late 20th century. Similar icons are still made to this day.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: