Author Topic: From the Life of Saint Dioscorus  (Read 4369 times)

Offline EkhristosAnesti

• 'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
  • Archon
  • Pope St Kyrillos VI
From the Life of Saint Dioscorus
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »
From the History written by the blessed disciple Theopiste:

After this Father Paphnutius, abbot of the monks of Tabennisi, of the sons of Pachomius, came to the gate. At this news our father rejoiced greatly, as if he had forgotten all the sufferings he had endured, and he went to meet holy Paphnutius. When Paphnutius saw our father he said to him, “I have found Israel as a vine which bears fruit in the desert and as a field which supports the roots of fig trees. Thus have I found you who battles for the Orthodox Faith...” After these words, they embraced in tears, and Paphnutius fell immediately at the feet of our holy father Dioscorus and clasped them. “I adore”, he said, “the earth which bears your feet, for this earth which bears them is truly holy ground, and I have seen the bush in which is the Messiah, that is to say his flesh, the divinity was united to it without change and without confusion, as the bush which burned without being consumed, in the same way the divinity and the humanity were not separated the one from the other from the moment when He entered into the womb of the Virgin Mary, Mother of God. Glory to Him, whose name is worshipped unto ages of ages, Amen”.

He then came with us to the place were we lived, and they discussed together the holy fathers who had preceded them. Our father spoke of the Archbishops and of their good works, of Archbishop Cyril and of the Samaritan woman who believed in our Lord Jesus Christ by his hands. Father Paphnutius recounted the wonders and miracles of the fathers, his predecessors; of Father Pachomius, of Petronios and of Theodore. He spoke at length also on the subject of Father Shenoute, how he was taught and became wise even in his childhood, and how he rode a chariot of cloud when he returned to the Imperial city in the air.

While they talked the feet of the Archbishop grew tired, and he removed the shoes which he was wearing. Now there was a man with Father Paphnutius who suffered in his feet and who had gout. He took these shoes, put them on his feet, and was healed.

There was also a superior of a monastery whose feet were bent behind and were hard like stone. He took the shoes which had fitted this saint’s feet, I have confidence (he said) that at the time when they will approach my feet the bad pain which is making me suffer will disappear and I will walk with them. When he had put these shoes on his feet, their nerves became sensitive at once, their tendons were like those of a child, his feet extended and he went on his way praising God and our holy father. And the fame of holy Dioscorus spread through all the island of Gangra. They said, “God sent a help and a saviour to us”. God performed many wonders and miracles by his hands which are not written down, we have written these so that you may worship God who lives in his saints.

Source: http://www.orthodox-library.com/dios_01.htm
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 11:45:12 AM by EkhristosAnesti »
No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
Re: From the Life of Saint Dioscorus
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

Offline EkhristosAnesti

• 'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
  • Archon
  • Pope St Kyrillos VI
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 10:29:08 PM »
Thanks be to God, Who works in most mysterious ways!

St Dioscorus bore much fruit indeed; but sweeter than the fruit produced in the lush rainforest is the fruit that is produced in the barren desert. The testimony of the holy St Paphnutius to the example of St Dioscorus relays an important moral to us all who find ourselves forced into seemingly barren exile by the forces of this world.
No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Whenever I read about Saint Dioscorus, tears are literally brought to my eyes. I hope he intercedes before the throne of God on behalf of my wretched soul.
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »
The book by Metropolitan Gregorios Paulus Bahnam, the late Syrian Bishop of Baghdad, titled "Pope Dioscoros The Alexandrian", is a fine academic and spiritual effort that deserves more attention among those who seek the truth.

It is a remarkable courage that His Eminence wrote this study in a time when the ecumenical lies of our ridiculously conciliatory hierarchy have replaced the known history of the Church.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »
The book by Metropolitan Gregorios Paulus Bahnam, the late Syrian Bishop of Baghdad, titled "Pope Dioscoros The Alexandrian", is a fine academic and spiritual effort that deserves more attention among those who seek the truth.

It is a remarkable courage that His Eminence wrote this study in a time when the ecumenical lies of our ridiculously conciliatory hierarchy have replaced the known history of the Church.

Stavro my dear brother, do you know where I can access this work (preferably in English)?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:20:05 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »

Stavro my dear brother, do you know where I can access this work (preferably in English)?

No. It is (was) available in Arabic. Not sure whether there have been new editions. Given the topic and the ecumenical times that we live in, I am sure no new editions were published. The version I have is from 1986.

Before having the chance to translate it, H.G. Bishop Gregorios, the late Bishop of Coptic Studies, and direct disciple of Pope Cyril VI, was axed. He was prevented from using any of his bishopric resources to continue any research or resume the teaching office he once so majestically occupied.
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
^I am sorry to hear that. Even if I could find it Arabic it would still be helpful as I can read some Arabic (albeit at an elementary level). It's a shame so little has been written about this great man.

Pope St. Dioscorus pray for all of us!

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »
Fr. Peter says that he hopes to publish more on Saint Dioscorus. I can't wait! I will certainly by the book when it comes out. Saint Dioscorus is truly a hero and pillar of the Orthodox faith.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
I don't know if I have put this anywhere before. It is the account of a vision which Abba Andrew had. I do hope to produce a volume of everything we have about and by St Dioscorus.

Abba Paul, who was a sophist, recounted to us that he had lived with Abba Andrew, an old prophet, who was hard-working and sincere, and who, before the Council of Chalcedon, was one of the great saints of Egypt.

This Abba Andrew, in a vision, saw an immense crowd of bishops who stirred a very fiery furnace into which they threw a beautiful child resplendent like gold, and they closed in on all sides so that one could not see any smoke from the furnace and even the air could not enter into it; and, at the end of three days, he saw the child leaving healthy and safe from the furnace, and he recognized that it was the Lord.

As he had the habit of speaking to him, he said: “Who are these who have done this to you and who have thrown you into the furnace?” He said to him: “The bishops crucified me again and they decided to strip me of my glory.” And He was right: because the Nestorians are sick with the disease of the Jews, when they say that He who was crucified was a man purely and simply, and not God incarnate.

When the old man looked again, he saw in the distance an old man who held himself upright, and who did not approve the other bishops or associate with them, neither when they stirred the furnace, nor when they shut up the child and mocked him. The old man called to the child: “Who is this old man?” And He answered him: “It is Dioscorus, Patriarch of Alexandria who alone did not take part in their intentions”. The old man, taking confidence, ventured to say to the Lord: “Lord, why is it that all the bishops of Alexandria fight until death for the truth?”

And He said: “Since Simon Cyrene carried my cross – and Cyrene is in a part of Egypt – since then I foresaw and predicted that Egypt, to which belongs the town of Cyrene located in Libya, would carry my cross until the end, would remain faithful to me and would mark their zeal for me until death”.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:31:26 PM by peterfarrington »
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »
I don't know if I have put this anywhere before. It is the account of a vision which Abba Andrew had. I do hope to produce a volume of everything we have about and by St Dioscorus.

Abba Paul, who was a sophist, recounted to us that he had lived with Abba Andrew, an old prophet, who was hard-working and sincere, and who, before the Council of Chalcedon, was one of the great saints of Egypt.

This Abba Andrew, in a vision, saw an immense crowd of bishops who stirred a very fiery furnace into which they threw a beautiful child resplendent like gold, and they closed in on all sides so that one could not see any smoke from the furnace and even the air could not enter into it; and, at the end of three days, he saw the child leaving healthy and safe from the furnace, and he recognized that it was the Lord.

As he had the habit of speaking to him, he said: “Who are these who have done this to you and who have thrown you into the furnace?” He said to him: “The bishops crucified me again and they decided to strip me of my glory.” And He was right: because the Nestorians are sick with the disease of the Jews, when they say that He who was crucified was a man purely and simply, and not God incarnate.

When the old man looked again, he saw in the distance an old man who held himself upright, and who did not approve the other bishops or associate with them, neither when they stirred the furnace, nor when they shut up the child and mocked him. The old man called to the child: “Who is this old man?” And He answered him: “It is Dioscorus, Patriarch of Alexandria who alone did not take part in their intentions”. The old man, taking confidence, ventured to say to the Lord: “Lord, why is it that all the bishops of Alexandria fight until death for the truth?”

And He said: “Since Simon Cyrene carried my cross – and Cyrene is in a part of Egypt – since then I foresaw and predicted that Egypt, to which belongs the town of Cyrene located in Libya, would carry my cross until the end, would remain faithful to me and would mark their zeal for me until death”.

Thank you very much for re-uploading this Father. I actually do remember reading this elsewhere online awhile back, but I couldn't quite remember where.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:50:08 PM by Severian »

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »
Here are other bits from St. Dioscorus' biography, I found them on a Wikipedia Discussion page some time ago:

DIOSCORUS OF ALEXANDRIA

Let us now return to the time when we were taken inside to the emperor Marcian. And it happened (that), when we were taken inside, we sat down. And in it were Mark of Ephesus, Juvenal of Jerusalem, Anatolius of Constantinoploe, Stephen of Antioch and the lowliest, I, Dioscorus, as well as the emperor and she who is unworthy to be called by her name, Pulcheria. And Father Macarius came in with Pinution, his brother, He sat over apart by himself. But they are near us and the emperor, and what we say, they also hear.
The emperor said to us. ‘Define the Faith for us that you may go to your homes.’ I, Dioscorus, said to him: ‘In what is the faith of our fathers lacking that we should add to it in accord with your mind, O emperor? And do you not say, “Our fathers who laid down the Faith are orthodox, that is, Alexander, Athanasius, Theophilus, Cyril, Liberus, Innocent and Celestine”?’ I related these things, wishing to receive from his own mouth whether he accepts them or will not make changes in the Faith. Flavian , who anticipated the emperor, answered: ‘Enough of you, O Dioscorus! The ancient ways have passed on . Behold, new people exist’. I myself, Dioscorus, answered saying: ‘If I were to add to the things which my fathers built up at the synods which they attended, and if I destroyed these things, truly I would set myself up as a traitor’.
Ibas motioned to the emperor to order the Tome of Leo to be read. When he had given the order, the clerk began to read. I, Dioscorus, responded: ‘What is this scroll which is being unrolled in our midst’? the clerk said: ‘It is the letter of Leo, the patriarch’. Immediately, I leapt up in the court, took the document and threw it away. I said: ‘Do not proclaim the blasphemous acts of that man in this place, (else) I shall leave the whole city of the [empire] under the interdict, and we shall go’.
(A discussion between Pulcheria and Dioscorus follows, referring to the controversy between Pulcheria’s mother Eudoxia and John Chrysostom. Dioscorus concludes his speech:)
If you believe as I do, join me at the Eucharist. If you do not believe as I do, you are rejecting both my word and my faith like a heretic. but I, I am orthodox. Otherwise, let your august assembly relate to me the sin of my belief. Do not slander God, O emperor. For he is the one who holds your breath in his hand, and no doubt you will go to his hands without delay. Do not speak ill of the Faith, O emperor. Do not lie about matters relating to the Holy Spirit. Remove yourself, O layman. Do not touch the place where God is [or you will] burn. I shall not cease upbraiding and censuring. If I am slain with Christ, I will seek after the things of heaven, the place where Christ is.
Theodoret said: ‘We accept our father, Leo, who says: ‘The divinity is divided from him for a time and he accepts the experience of sufferings like us. Afterwards, the divinity fills his body with light and he performs all these wondrous deeds”.’ But I, Dioscorus, said: ‘On the other hand, I accept my father, Cyril, who says: ‘As a piece of iron, when it is about to be refined in the fire and is brought out glowing and is beaten upon with hammer blows and the fire is fused with the iron, so it is that the divinity and the humanity of my Savior share with one another in the sufferings which he underwent and the wonders which he performed’. And when I had said these things, the archbishops and all the members of the synod arose and cried out saying: ‘Right is the faith of Dioscorus. And there is not any weakness in it. Rather, his faith is orthodox. The faith of Flavian is narrow. We believe just as Dioscorus (does)’.
And I motioned to them with my hand (saying): ‘Be silent and listen, Israel’. And when they were silent, I continued and said to them: ‘ Do you accept the four Gospels?’ They said: ‘Yes. Certainly. He who does not accept the four Gospels is not a Christian’. I said: ‘You have spoken well. When the Christ was summoned to the wedding, was he summoned as man or as God’? They said: ‘As man’. I said to them: ‘Correct’. I said to them: ‘When he caused the miracle to happen, did he perform it as man or rather as God’? They said: ‘The matter is obvious. He caused the miracle to happen as God’. I said to them: ‘So then, understand for yourselves that the divinity was not separated from the humanity for a moment or for the twinkling of an eye. Behold then, I have taken you at your (very) own word’.
And (my) speech shut their mouths, and they did not find anything to say nor did they find a way to converse with me. And the officers of the imperial guard and the sentinels and the chamberlains and the patricians and the consuls and the generals, in short, the entire court kept crying out until their voices reached up to heaven: ‘Let the emperor live forever together with the faith like that of Dioscorus!’ There is no weakness in it, since God wills this belief and the world is set right because of it. Cast away from yourself these Manichaean deceivers. Do not let them deceive you, O emperor. Nestorius perished and was destroyed, wishing to take us to destruction with him. Be saved, my brothers, from the ambush of these dogs’.

(Life of Dioscorus by Theopistus?) 1-4
1. My friends, I learn of your affection which we have supported by hard combat, my holy father Dioscorus the Archbishop and I, and how those who were assembled at the wicked and impious council of Chalcedon, moved away from the orthodox faith after having fought for it at the beginning, when they did not think that impious Marcian would threaten to drive them out of their Sees.
At the time of the death of the emperor Theodosius the Younger , Satan found an instrument to excite disorders in the Church; for Celestine, archbishop of Rome, was dead, as also our father Cyril of Alexandria, and our father Victor, archimandrite of the monastery of St. Pachomius, and Father Shenouda, a remarkable man . The adversary whom they had overcome, the impious Nestorius, this detractor of God, had also died. The party of the Orthodox included the enemy of God, Juvenal of Jerusalem, who, at that time, helped Cyril to drive out Nestorius, while now, in his madness, he attacks the Church and Orthodoxy and destroys what he had built before with St. Cyril.
2. The emperor Theodosius the Younger did not have a son, he had a sister, named Pulcheria, who had promised before God to live in virginity. At a certain time, he went to ask the ascetics of the desert of Scete to pray to God that He would give him a son. The messenger, named took with him his young son so that he could be blessed by the saints, and when he had arrived, he gave the letter to the oldest superior in the desert, named John , and he read it with the chief of the community. However, one of the saints had died three hours before the arrival of the messenger, and the Father John sent this messenger, with one of the Fathers, to the saint who had died, and said to him: “Go with this one to him who has died, and Our Lord will raise him from the dead for the advantage of the faithful king, and he will say to you what is appropriate for him.” And when they arrived at the side of him who had died, he rose, sat down and said to the messenger: “Greet the emperor and say to him that God loves him because of his beautiful deeds, because of his Orthodox faith and because of his great confidence in Him. It is because of this that He has not given him an heir so that he will not be compromised by disastrous heresies, because after him will come impious emperors who will soil all the universe by their blasphemies against God, therefore it is necessary to bless the kindness of God who did not give him a son. After these words, the saint lay down and gave up his spirit to God. The messenger returned to the emperor, told him what he had seen and heard, and the emperor praised the divine kindness.
3. However, there was in the imperial palace a young man of imposing presence, named Marcian, he belonged to the Nestorian sect, and Satan ignited the heart of Pulcheria for this irreligious person. One day, someone brought to the victorious emperor Theodosius a large apple of great beauty. He looked at it and admired it; it gave off an agreeable fragrance, and as there was no person whom he honoured and estimated more than his sister, he called her and gave her this apple. This adulterer took it and sent it at once secretly to her impious friend, the Nestorian Marcian, because there was no man whom she loved more than him. But Marcian thought that no man was worthy to have this apple, if it were not the emperor himself; so he took it and carried it to him. The emperor recognized the apple which he had given to his sister, but he asked as if it did not know anything about it: “Where does this beautiful and remarkable apple come from?” Marcian answered him: “One of my friends, a General, sent it to me.” Then the emperor understood that his sister Pulcheria burned with an adulterous love, and he exiled Marcian at once to the Thebaid of Egypt under pretext that he was a Nestorian and, actually, so that his sister would not see him any more in Constantinople . A little time afterwards, the victorious Theodosius died.
Satan, the cursed serpent, began again his ancient conflict with the woman; He spoke in the heart of the impure Pulcheria in the following manner: “You rest in inaction and the empire of your fathers will pass to another race, while you, who are the daughter of Romans , you are scorned”. She took his advice as had Eve; she called the patricians and the great ones of her kingdom and said to them: “See and choose among the chief nobles a man who is worthy of the imperial crown, I will take him in marriage and he will be my husband and emperor”. They answered her: “Nicetas , chief nobleman, is worthy to sit with you on the throne, because he is an Orthodox man and our lord the emperor your brother has ordered, while dying, in his will to allow none but an Orthodox man on the imperial throne; his will is placed in the Imperial treasury”. Then she commanded her eunuchs to say to the patricians and to all the Imperial court that they should assemble at the place which is by the fourth gate of the palace and to sit there so that she could see them and hear them. They were all made to enter at once and they sat each one according to his rank. Then she went up to the Summer Chamber of blessed Empress Helen, looked from the window and saw them all. Satan had already inflamed a love for Nestorius in Marcian, who had been recalled from exile after the death of emperor Theodosius and he was with the others on this day. She called her servants and asked them, as if she did not know: “Who is this young person man who carries a gold belt? They said to her: “It is Marcian”. She answered: “Go, make him come up to me, because it is he who must sit on the imperial throne”. Those who were with her said, “Our mistress, you are foolish if you dream of this man. Isn't he the one whom your brother sent into exile because he was of the party of Nestorius?” She answered: “My brother never sought a powerful man”. When they saw that she persisted in her love for him, they called him and said to him: “Lord Marcian, ascend on high”, and he went up full of fear. This adulterous and impure woman said to him: “Why do you fear? Am I not a creature like you? therefore do not fear, but go to the bath and wash yourself”. He did so, returned and found the queen alone; she said to him: “None other than you will sit on the imperial throne, so eat and drink with joy”. In the morning she dressed him in purple, placed on his head the imperial crown and made him go up to the throne. When the gatekeeper of the palace came and opened the doors, he found Marcian on the throne with the imperial crown on his head. He left and found the senators assembled who were waiting for news. He said to them: “The emperor sits here, he bears the crown on the head”.
At this news, he became very upset, and a senator named Peter said: “I have had this night a vision : I seemed to see John Chrysostom, our archbishop, I found myself close to him and it said to me: “Flee, Peter, from this empire, do you not see the great darkness and the storm which blow so very strong?” I looked at the sea shore and saw the sailors of many ships had dropped their anchors close to the shore from Chalcedon, they carried innumerable men, and suddenly a violent storm coming from the sea fell upon them, their cables were broken and their followed mourning and loss, because all the men who boarded these ships were drowned at the same time. And John the Archbishop said to me: “Have you counted all the ships submerged by the sea?” I answered him: “It seems to me that there are six hundred.” He began again: “It is with justice that you have spoken: In truth that which I have told you is not true; there are six hundred and thirty four ships”. And with these words I woke from my sleep.
When he had told this to his friends, they shouted that they were going to return to their residences without entering the palace, then he decided to go to the palace to see what had happened, and on arriving they saw Marcian sitting with great pleasure, and the centurions shouted Polla ta eth twn basilewn which is to say.: “Many years to the emperor!” and they recounted this to Peter, who had the dream, and said to him: “Your vision was not a dream, indeed it was the truth” .
At this news, the Nestorians of the party of Marcian met at once and ran like horses in heat, they entered into the palace and shouted: “Many years to the emperor! God has given us Constantine”. When Marcian saw them, he descended from his throne and embraced them, then he led them and made them sit in the other (the second) place of the kingdom which is in the atrium of the palace. He sat down with them, still embracing them. However, the great ones of the kingdom hated them, and each one of them withdrew discreetly so as not even to soil their clothes in their shadow and by their touch. And these cursed and impure friends said to the emperor: “Emperor, may you live eternally! Did we not say to you, when Theodosius exiled you, that you would go up to the supreme degree if you remained in our faith? because our faith is better than the other. It is our prayers which have brought you this honor, and if you confirm our faith, God will give you a great number of years”. The cursed one answered them: “I know that you are the true servants of God, pray for me and you will soon see what I will do”. And they left him offering prayers for him.
4. This impious and profane emperor sent letters to all countries and on all sides; their contents were:
Marcian, Emperor, to all countries and all the peoples who live in them, greetings.
Know, my brothers, that at the moment we began to reign according to the unsearchable destinies of God, we resolved to instruct and vivify all the men who are in our empire.
He added many other things and did this to force men to adhere to his heresy. He also wrote about Ibas of Edessa, Theodore of Cyr and Andrew of Samosata, heresiarchs driven out by Cyril and the council of Ephesus; he praised them and exalted them as his advisers.
When they brought this letter to Alexandria and the had it read by the Reader, I came behind and I looked at it and read the names of these wicked advisers. Then I returned to the side of our father Dioscorus, and I said to him with the words of the sons of the prophets: “Death is in this letter, O man of God”. He answered me: “I know it, my son, keep it to yourself; did not our father Cyril say to me: Rest your spirit and your body under the reign of this Theodosius, because after him, death will be produced by a second Eve, named Pulcheria. If Eve had kept her eyes and had not looked at the tree of good and evil, death would not have entered the world and if Pulcheria had kept her eyes and not looked at Marcian, the canons and the dogmas of the true faith would not be shaken; and you, Dioscorus, you will fight for the Orthodox Faith, you will be thrown in exile and you will die there”. My son, could the word of this prophet be lying? I say to him: “At which time. Master, will you go into exile?” Holy Dioscorus answered me: “This last week, one day as I prayed the Night Office according to my habit and after I had slept a little, I saw Saint Cyril upright in front of me, I threw myself to his feet and he said to me: “Dioscorus, do you love me?” I answered him: “Yes, Master, I love you greatly, with all my soul, all my body and all my spirit”. He answered me: “Do not move away from the canons and the chapters of the true faith that I have given you and which you have received from me, for many will turn away from them in that time”.
I said to him, “God will abandon us, O holy father, and the heresiarchs will return, however everyone here knows God and the Orthodox faith”. He replied to me, “You have heard me, believe me, that from the root of righteous kings will spring an evil branch, shameless instead of being a virgin, as for you, you will be sent into exile”.
Now I have told you all of my vision, and I know that for my sins, God will let me face the trial of exile, but my soul is not concerned about the manner in which I will suffer for the Orthodox faith. I know well that our father, the apostle Athanasius, was sent into exile not one but five times”. I replied to him, “All that God requires of us we receive in His mercy”.

He [i.e. St Dioscorus] was summoned to the synagogue of Satan. Then he came in to that place, he saw many more multitudes. On account of this he said, "What deficiency (is there) which the orthodox faith lacks?" They said to him thus: "In the counsel of the king the multitudes have been assembled to pervert the faith." At once he said to them, "If these numerous multitudes have been assembled concerning Jesus Christ, I will sit down and speak in it that which Christ has spoken to my mouth. But I ought to confess the orthodox faith and say thus: Lord Jesus, Emmanuel, our God, has never been divided in all his works; but (he is) one only Lord, one only nature; he has one only will; and the deity has united with the humanity as the soul unites with the flesh. This is my declaration and my confession, -I the least, Dioscorus, the poor."

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:37:02 PM »
Here are other bits from St. Dioscorus' biography, I found them on a Wikipedia Discussion page some time ago:

DIOSCORUS OF ALEXANDRIA

Let us now return to the time when we were taken inside to the emperor Marcian. And it happened (that), when we were taken inside, we sat down. And in it were Mark of Ephesus, Juvenal of Jerusalem, Anatolius of Constantinoploe, Stephen of Antioch and the lowliest, I, Dioscorus, as well as the emperor and she who is unworthy to be called by her name, Pulcheria. And Father Macarius came in with Pinution, his brother, He sat over apart by himself. But they are near us and the emperor, and what we say, they also hear.
The emperor said to us. ‘Define the Faith for us that you may go to your homes.’ I, Dioscorus, said to him: ‘In what is the faith of our fathers lacking that we should add to it in accord with your mind, O emperor? And do you not say, “Our fathers who laid down the Faith are orthodox, that is, Alexander, Athanasius, Theophilus, Cyril, Liberus, Innocent and Celestine”?’ I related these things, wishing to receive from his own mouth whether he accepts them or will not make changes in the Faith. Flavian , who anticipated the emperor, answered: ‘Enough of you, O Dioscorus! The ancient ways have passed on . Behold, new people exist’. I myself, Dioscorus, answered saying: ‘If I were to add to the things which my fathers built up at the synods which they attended, and if I destroyed these things, truly I would set myself up as a traitor’.
Ibas motioned to the emperor to order the Tome of Leo to be read. When he had given the order, the clerk began to read. I, Dioscorus, responded: ‘What is this scroll which is being unrolled in our midst’? the clerk said: ‘It is the letter of Leo, the patriarch’. Immediately, I leapt up in the court, took the document and threw it away. I said: ‘Do not proclaim the blasphemous acts of that man in this place, (else) I shall leave the whole city of the [empire] under the interdict, and we shall go’.
(A discussion between Pulcheria and Dioscorus follows, referring to the controversy between Pulcheria’s mother Eudoxia and John Chrysostom. Dioscorus concludes his speech:)
If you believe as I do, join me at the Eucharist. If you do not believe as I do, you are rejecting both my word and my faith like a heretic. but I, I am orthodox. Otherwise, let your august assembly relate to me the sin of my belief. Do not slander God, O emperor. For he is the one who holds your breath in his hand, and no doubt you will go to his hands without delay. Do not speak ill of the Faith, O emperor. Do not lie about matters relating to the Holy Spirit. Remove yourself, O layman. Do not touch the place where God is [or you will] burn. I shall not cease upbraiding and censuring. If I am slain with Christ, I will seek after the things of heaven, the place where Christ is.
Theodoret said: ‘We accept our father, Leo, who says: ‘The divinity is divided from him for a time and he accepts the experience of sufferings like us. Afterwards, the divinity fills his body with light and he performs all these wondrous deeds”.’ But I, Dioscorus, said: ‘On the other hand, I accept my father, Cyril, who says: ‘As a piece of iron, when it is about to be refined in the fire and is brought out glowing and is beaten upon with hammer blows and the fire is fused with the iron, so it is that the divinity and the humanity of my Savior share with one another in the sufferings which he underwent and the wonders which he performed’. And when I had said these things, the archbishops and all the members of the synod arose and cried out saying: ‘Right is the faith of Dioscorus. And there is not any weakness in it. Rather, his faith is orthodox. The faith of Flavian is narrow. We believe just as Dioscorus (does)’.
And I motioned to them with my hand (saying): ‘Be silent and listen, Israel’. And when they were silent, I continued and said to them: ‘ Do you accept the four Gospels?’ They said: ‘Yes. Certainly. He who does not accept the four Gospels is not a Christian’. I said: ‘You have spoken well. When the Christ was summoned to the wedding, was he summoned as man or as God’? They said: ‘As man’. I said to them: ‘Correct’. I said to them: ‘When he caused the miracle to happen, did he perform it as man or rather as God’? They said: ‘The matter is obvious. He caused the miracle to happen as God’. I said to them: ‘So then, understand for yourselves that the divinity was not separated from the humanity for a moment or for the twinkling of an eye. Behold then, I have taken you at your (very) own word’.
And (my) speech shut their mouths, and they did not find anything to say nor did they find a way to converse with me. And the officers of the imperial guard and the sentinels and the chamberlains and the patricians and the consuls and the generals, in short, the entire court kept crying out until their voices reached up to heaven: ‘Let the emperor live forever together with the faith like that of Dioscorus!’ There is no weakness in it, since God wills this belief and the world is set right because of it. Cast away from yourself these Manichaean deceivers. Do not let them deceive you, O emperor. Nestorius perished and was destroyed, wishing to take us to destruction with him. Be saved, my brothers, from the ambush of these dogs’.
Somehow I don't recall that being how things went down.  ;)
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Pharaoh714

• Lord Have Mercy! Christ Save me.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 07:29:24 PM »
Something tells me the only reason Pope Dioscorus was deposed in Chalcedon is because Constantinople wanted to have primacy. Since Pope Leo of Rome opposed it also but was not present (nor did he have a clue of whats going on) and if they were to get rid of Pope Dioscorus of Alexandria it can be slipped into the council.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:30:10 PM by Pharaoh714 »
"If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 04:30:17 AM »
Something tells me the only reason Pope Dioscorus was deposed in Chalcedon is because Constantinople wanted to have primacy. Since Pope Leo of Rome opposed it also but was not present (nor did he have a clue of whats going on) and if they were to get rid of Pope Dioscorus of Alexandria it can be slipped into the council.

Constantinople 381 gives Constantinople authority after the Old Rome. Not simply Chalcedon.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 02:44:45 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

Imagine him and wgw enganging in polemics with each other. That would be amazing to read.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 05:01:20 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

Imagine him and wgw enganging in polemics with each other. That would be amazing to read.

Why would I engage in polemics with someone I agree with?
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

You agree homosexual relationships are ok with the Christian teaching with no conditions? Darn, it's hard to keep track with all belief changes here.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:21:00 PM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 05:21:48 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

You agree homosexual relationships are ok with the Christian teaching with no conditions? Darn, it's hard to keep track with all belief changes here.

No, and neither did Pope St. Dioscorus.  Unless you were talking about someone else.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
I had assumed you were referring to me engaging in polemics with St. Dioscorus; I would propose that otherwise this is a bit offtopic.

At any rate, I would not engage in polemics with St. Dioscorus, and also there can be no doubt that he did not espouse the view you referred to.