OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 08:13:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First and Second Councils of Dvin  (Read 1110 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: May 27, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »

I've seen distinct sources, some of which claim that the Armenian church officially rejected Chalcedon at the First Council of Dvin in 506 and some which say that it did not do so until the Second Council of Dvin in 555. Can someone straighten this out? And perhaps provide a summary of what happened at these two councils?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »

You may want to get a copy of H.H. Karekin I's Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church.  It might be out of print right now, but I get the feeling that if you contact the Western Diocese or the Eastern Diocese, one of them should be able to scare up a copy for you.

I haven't looked at my copy recently, but if I recall correctly, His Holiness considered the first council to be a rejection of Chalcedon.  Others, though, have named the latter council as the first recorded rejection of it.  I think the problem is that Chalcedon was not mentioned by name until the latter council.  If I recall correctly, though, the first one is considered by His Holiness to be a rejection of Chalcedon because it was in reaction to the Assyrians saying that the Greeks had just had a council which vindicated their Christology. 

Again, I haven't read the book in a long time, so I am working off of my very imperfect memory.   Smiley

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »

Thanks! I'll try to get a hold of it.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags: Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: