OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 07:19:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sola-Scriptura...  (Read 6267 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2011, 05:08:41 AM »

I find this image to be spiritually disturbing, theologically disgusting, and intellectually cowardly.

A Baptist seminary student made this picture, but why should I care if you find it spiritually disturbing, theologically disgusting, and intellectually cowardly? Are you the arbiter of Orthodoxy on this issue?

Also, you never flesh out why you say the things you do with me. All you do are hit and runs! All you do is say insulting stuff and you never really explain yourself.

If this is all you are going to do with me then it might be best to keep your personal feelings about my posts to yourself, for I am not the one to be silent! I will fight back!

So in the future, if you respond like that to one of my posts, be prepared for a fight! Or else don't respond like that ever again! For I will respond accordingly!

Are you one of those types that complains that having Parafin candles instead of Beeswax aint Orthodox?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2011, 04:42:33 PM »

I find this image to be spiritually disturbing, theologically disgusting, and intellectually cowardly.

A Baptist seminary student made this picture, but why should I care if you find it spiritually disturbing, theologically disgusting, and intellectually cowardly? Are you the arbiter of Orthodoxy on this issue?

Also, you never flesh out why you say the things you do with me. All you do are hit and runs! All you do is say insulting stuff and you never really explain yourself.

If this is all you are going to do with me then it might be best to keep your personal feelings about my posts to yourself, for I am not the one to be silent! I will fight back!

So in the future, if you respond like that to one of my posts, be prepared for a fight! Or else don't respond like that ever again! For I will respond accordingly!

Are you one of those types that complains that having Parafin candles instead of Beeswax aint Orthodox?

What kind of question is that? Out of my two thousand and plus posts on this forum, did you ever see me complain about that?

Now, are you one of those types that like to annoy people for no reason at all?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:47:31 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »

Cool it, both of you!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2011, 07:40:26 AM »

Here's what I don't get. I'm watching Lee Strobel's Case for Christ movie but in this entire movie it discusses the New Testament and it's authority, authenticity blah blah blah...but nothing on the actual Church that was founded by God Himself. I never understand these Protestant apologetics, wouldn't the best defense of the faith be the actual Church that was established but of course you'd cease to be a Protestant at that point. And these apologetics just beg the question on whom discerned that these documents are authentic, it comes down to a bunch of scholarly theologians say these are authentic because they match the conservative view of Jesus.

Sola Scriptura never made sense to me in a historical sense.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2011, 09:40:14 AM »

Here's what I don't get. I'm watching Lee Strobel's Case for Christ movie but in this entire movie it discusses the New Testament and it's authority, authenticity blah blah blah...but nothing on the actual Church that was founded by God Himself. I never understand these Protestant apologetics
That's exactly what's stumped me as i've been reading through some of this. I have never heard any preaching or teaching that there was ever another style of church that existed other than Catholics and Protestants. The authority and authenticity is taught and then the church grew from that upper room into what Protestants have today. It's stumped me because i can see from even the most basic of reading i've done that there's evidence to suggest otherwise.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 11:00:26 AM »

Here's what I don't get. I'm watching Lee Strobel's Case for Christ movie but in this entire movie it discusses the New Testament and it's authority, authenticity blah blah blah...but nothing on the actual Church that was founded by God Himself. I never understand these Protestant apologetics
That's exactly what's stumped me as i've been reading through some of this. I have never heard any preaching or teaching that there was ever another style of church that existed other than Catholics and Protestants. The authority and authenticity is taught and then the church grew from that upper room into what Protestants have today. It's stumped me because i can see from even the most basic of reading i've done that there's evidence to suggest otherwise.

Hence the term sola imagination so eloquently phrased by some on this board. The sola scriptura view does not hold up to even the lightest of challenges. Historically speaking, its a recent fad.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: