OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 04:07:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: to Br. Max  (Read 1539 times) Average Rating: 0
The Caffeinator
Elder

« on: January 24, 2004, 01:05:55 PM »

I really hope this doesn't sound judgemental, because I am just curious.

When I am surfing the net, posting on forums, etc., it is usually when I should be working. (Like now, for example.)

I noticed you spend a lot of time online, and I have a hard time reconciling that with my image of the franciscan friar, out saving the poor and kissing lepers. What do your superiors think of your net addiction?

BTW, pray for me...prayers to St. Joseph that I become a model worker. I've got a long way to go.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 02:43:40 PM »

When I am surfing the net, posting on forums, etc., it is usually when I should be working. (Like now, for example.)

I noticed you spend a lot of time online, and I have a hard time reconciling that with my image of the franciscan friar, out saving the poor and kissing lepers. What do your superiors think of your net addiction?

BTW, pray for me...prayers to St. Joseph that I become a model worker. I've got a long way to go.

He can't be a Fransican because he's not Catholic.  He's a member of a Protestant sect.  Look at his profile and visit his website.  

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 02:46:56 PM »

You surely don't have to be a Catholic to be a Franciscan or a Benedictine. It is a way of life not a membership in any particular communion.

I've stayed with the Anglican Society of St Francis, and though some novices were worryingly liberal in their opinions the community was certainly in the spirit of Francis and lived a life of selfless service, especially to tramps, AIDS sufferers and the terminally ill, while also missioning among Anglican parishes.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 02:52:26 PM »

Anglicans are little "c" catholics.  Max is not little "c" Catholic.  Look at his website (http://communityofthecrucifiedone.org/AboutUs.dsp).  There's mention of some "bishop" but there's no mention of apostolic succession.  Apostolic succession is crucial to catholicism.  Catholics don't just found churches and call themselves bishops.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 02:57:04 PM by Jennifer » Logged
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 02:57:07 PM »

Well, he might not pray to St. Joseph for me (the prayer request was directed at everybody) but he has told me that he is franciscan, and I don't think he would make that up. Will check out the link to his denom, though.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 03:03:13 PM »

Jenny: I don't have to prove myself to you are anyone. Smiley If you have any doubts, feel free to come and see for yourself.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 03:06:23 PM »

One can embrace the lift of a religious order without necessarily being a member of that order with varying results.  

I am hesitant to allow threads where one or more members openly criticize another forum member.  I have no problem with Max and value his input even though I disagree with him more often than not.  

Caffeinator, I believe that your question would have been better suited to a PM where Max is not put on the spotlight.  As it stands I am sure you were geuninely curious and not wanting to start an open criticism of him or of his religious group.  

I am inclined to lock this thread, but I will keep it open until Max has a chance to respond.  Max, if you want me to close this thread, please send me a PM.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 03:07:05 PM »

Whoa, Max, you posted that while I was formulating my response.  Let me know if you want me to keep it open or not.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 03:21:11 PM »

Firstly it is none to charitable to accuse someone you know little about of being an addict. Despite that faux pas, I have taken no offence to your inquiry.

I have the august privilege of being the Director of Charitable Works for the Order.  Not just locally, but around the world.  I must, as a result, correspond with many people on many subjects, and Email is the fastest cheapest way of doing that.  I must also do a great deal of paper work and such (as you can well imagine) filing reports and making reports and reporting on reports . . . . I must also search out funding for the CW we do.  One of the fund raisers we do is Comedy./Mystery Dinner theatre - which requires me to be constantly on the search for new scripts.  We also do a bi-annual Variety Show as a fund raiser for our school - more scripts and ideas to find.  So I end up spending a lot of time on line - both work time and personal time searching the net.  

ADDITIONALLY, as a teacher, a history teacher no less, I am always on the search for news and current events that will be useful for lessons, as well as resources and teaching aids - more time online.  I also work at an after school homework/computer center.  That job requires me to be able to find quickly information on a variety of subjects - more time online.

I also use the net to communicate with my family - since I live near none of them and I do not have the funds to pay long distance charges to be calling them all the time - more time online.

ALL in all I do spend a great deal of time staring into a computer, but still find time to read, attend services daily, travel to and from work, do my job’s, serve as RA for a house of college students/novitiate, catch a movie from time to time and to unwind discussing with people on THIS messageboard.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004, 03:39:33 PM »

Jenny: I don't have to prove myself to you are anyone. Smiley If you have any doubts, feel free to come and see for yourself.

For the (I think) 3rd time, it's Jennifer, not Jenny.
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2004, 03:54:53 PM »

Br. Max, David, et al: I am a net junkie. My faux pas here is an example of the gravity of my dillemma. Prayers please!
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2004, 03:56:47 PM »

If you don't believe me, just look at my avatar. It says it all.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2004, 04:00:40 PM »

Caffeinator: Point taken.  Smiley

Br. Max: Please make an effort to not call Jennifer Jenny, as she obviously does not like the nickname.  

I think we've answered the question put forward by Caffeinator and I'm locking this thread.  If any of you have any questions for Max on his work, I am sure he'd be happy to discuss it with you through PM or email.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: