OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 08:06:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heresy better idea than schism?  (Read 1198 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« on: February 01, 2004, 09:20:17 AM »

Article on the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia's convention yesterday, from The Washington Times.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 08:42:23 AM »

Guys, I'm disappointed. The Episcopal bishop of Virginia shows up with the perfect troll, and nobody took the bait!

Seriously, I think Lee's statements are completely wrong. As I wrote elsewhere:

The thing is that, at the moment, alternative oversight isn't being met with any attempt at real liberal rapprochement, but only with a bunch of phony platitudes about inclusion and a confident press releases that the liberals won't have to make any concessions at all.

Lee's rather striking statements at his diocesan convention are a case in point. He sets up a commission to stall on the subject (to which the conservatives agree reluctantly because they really don't have anything else they can do in the context of the convention) and then says "If you must make a choice between heresy and schism, always choose heresy." This is not, I submit, a statement inclusive of moderates. What moderates believe is that some things are worth fighting over and some are not, and that the character of heresy makes a difference. Some differences are tolerable, and some are not. But instead we get this profoundly unitarian statement, and while this is going to gladden the URI people, it isn't going to do a thing for the Lewisian Mere Christians.

So I don't buy the theory that the radical liberals are going to be able to take the middle for granted. The nation is swinging around to the Eastern Orthodox view of anger: that it is appropriate and necessary in its proper context. They believe that there are things worth being angry about. And it's quite foolish, in a church that historically depends upon adult converts, to think that inertia is going to keep most of them in place.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 09:12:57 AM »

I had already seen it elsewhere on an orthodox Anglican forum and had restrained myself, as not being an Anglican, from commenting. I somehow managed to keep my mouth shut here as well.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 11:10:23 AM »

Funny to see Anglicans lament being torn from the Body of Christ!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 01:05:16 PM »

ummm.  why?

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 02:03:31 PM »

oy vey.  Nuff said.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 05:24:32 PM »

If heresy is better than schism, then wouldn't they have stayed with the "heresies" of Rome in the first place? I just think it's rather ironic as a Catholic and did not intend to insult any Anglicans here, and I also realize that things are different today for the Anglicans. Anyway, I should have posted in a more mature way. Sorry, Ebor! Smiley
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 07:52:12 PM »

Frobie: good point.  I wonder that the Bishop in question did not think of that!

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: