OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 04:10:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patristic Library  (Read 1268 times) Average Rating: 0
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« on: January 21, 2004, 04:47:37 PM »

Where can I buy an entire patristic library? I search Amazon but did not find anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 04:55:52 PM »

This is the first volume of the Early Church Fathers series, which run about $20 each volume.  There are plenty of them out now.  CCEL.ORG has a great online version of the series, as well.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 05:10:02 PM »

I would reccomend the Ante-Nicene Fathersand the Nicene and Post Nicene Fathers from Amazon.com.  It is pricey, but you can read the entire thing online at ccel.org.

I would also reccomend the Ancient Christian Writers series from Paulist Press.  There are some things there that are specifically Roman Catholic, but most are pre-schism.  There are a few good volumes in their 'Classics of Western Spirituality' series as well, but there are too many heretics and muslims there for me to reccomend it as a whole.

You will want the "Commentary on the Gospels" (by the Blessed Theophylact) and "The Great Collection of the Lives of the Saints"(by St. Dimitri of Rostov) series from www.chrysostompress.org

That should get you started.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
JohnCassian
At Least Semi-Augustinian

St. John Cassian

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 10:41:35 PM »

The most cost effective way to get a large library of Church Fathers is to order the Schaff set, aka Ante-Nicene Fathers and Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers.  Its 38-Volumes in total.  You can get it for $299.99 for the whole set (about $8.50 or so a volume) in brand new hardcover at www.christianbook.com.
     Most, but not all of the Ancient Christian Writers series is included in that 38 volume set, and its the less expensive way to go.  You can supplement with a few volumes of ACW, and the Popular Patristics series from Saint Vladimir's Press, which is also very reasonably priced (about $10 a volume).
     I also highly, HIGHLY recommend to everyone who can find it the four volume set of Johannes Quasten's 'Patrology'.   Its the ultimate reference guide to all of the Church Fathers, and the various published editions of their works.  It includes summaries of all extant works at the time of its publication, as well as topical summaries of important doctrines and doctrinal areas by each of the Fathers.  So, for example, if you're interested in finding out what St. Irenaeus had to say about the Theotokos or St. Gregory the Theologian's teaching on the Eucharist, its just a quick flip to get a summary, quotations, and references for further reading.  The set goes for about a hundred dollars, and is worth every penny.

"Do leave off speaking of me as an ill-educated and uncouth and unfriendly man, not even worthy to live." - St. Gregory the Theologian in a Letter to St. Basil the Great
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 11:17:27 PM »

If you cannot afford to buy all the books right now a reasonable compromise is The Early Church Fathers CD-ROM available here.

I have it and have found it pretty good and pretty useful. It is not totally complete or everything that I would want, but it has a lot and has a nifty search function, as well.

A friend of mine has the Schaff set of books. I would like to purchase that set, but, in the meantime, the CD is more than satisfactory.

At $59.95 + shipping and handling, it is pretty reasonable.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: