OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:28:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to Believers Baptism!  (Read 3073 times) Average Rating: 0
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »

Actually, I believe the Baptist would say that they are saved because they fall into the category of children; i.e. they aren't able to determine right from wrong (which means they are considered 'saved' by default).

That makes it sound like they don't really believe in ancestral sin.

AFAIK they don't believe in original sin, at least in the way that it is traditionally taught. They have their own belief that all babies go to heaven until they reach the age of accountability (or age of reason). It's a novel little doctrine...
I'd like to know how they really explain it. "Jesus loves the little children" is what they hear for several years, then suddenly one day, it's "Repent or burn in hell!" I've never quite figured out how they decide who is accountable and who isn't. Seems rather cruel to me.

Of course, a lot of child evangelism is of the highly emotional type: "You want to be a good little boy/girl, don't you, and make Mommy/Daddy/Grandma/Grandpa happy, right? And you want to go to heaven when you die, don't you, so you can see Nanna and your baby sister who died before she was born?" With that emphasis on death at an early age, it's no wonder kids have nightmares.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »

Actually, I believe the Baptist would say that they are saved because they fall into the category of children; i.e. they aren't able to determine right from wrong (which means they are considered 'saved' by default).

That makes it sound like they don't really believe in ancestral sin.

AFAIK they don't believe in original sin, at least in the way that it is traditionally taught. They have their own belief that all babies go to heaven until they reach the age of accountability (or age of reason). It's a novel little doctrine...
I'd like to know how they really explain it. "Jesus loves the little children" is what they hear for several years, then suddenly one day, it's "Repent or burn in hell!" I've never quite figured out how they decide who is accountable and who isn't. Seems rather cruel to me.

Of course, a lot of child evangelism is of the highly emotional type: "You want to be a good little boy/girl, don't you, and make Mommy/Daddy/Grandma/Grandpa happy, right? And you want to go to heaven when you die, don't you, so you can see Nanna and your baby sister who died before she was born?" With that emphasis on death at an early age, it's no wonder kids have nightmares.

Ya, you get 6 years or so of ignorant bliss, but then once you hit that magical age...wham! They lay on the fire and brimstone by the truckloads.
Tags: sure it is... :p It's all a big joke. joking...don't do it! 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: