OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:54:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to Believers Baptism!  (Read 3100 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« on: May 24, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »

The Orthodox Church should return to the ancient and traditional form of baptism: baptizing adults when they are old enough to understand what they are doing. Enough of this infant baptism stuff, it's a terrible practice--nay, a corruption--that should have been rooted out long ago. We all know that the Scriptures say that "there must be heresies among you," but this is one thing that should be left behind.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:57:24 PM »

The Orthodox Church should return to the ancient and traditional form of baptism: baptizing adults when they are old enough to understand what they are doing. Enough of this infant baptism stuff, it's a terrible practice--nay, a corruption--that should have been rooted out long ago. We all know that the Scriptures say that "there must be heresies among you," but this is one thing that should be left behind.

Sources, sources, sources.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »

Exactly! Back to the original Church, enough of these practices without biblical or early patristic basis.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »

You're serious?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »

The Orthodox Church should return to the ancient and traditional form of baptism: baptizing adults when they are old enough to understand what they are doing.
Neither ancient nor traditional.

Exactly! Back to the original Church, enough of these practices without biblical or early patristic basis.
Like "believer's baptism."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:54:34 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »

And while we're at it, let's sell off our highly valued properties, including all the golden crosses and chalices, and give the money to the poor. The early church did just fine worshipping with nothing special in catacombs and private homes. We should do the same.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »

Why do I get the feeling that the OP has been stealing nips from the flask? Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 10:36:12 PM »

And while we're at it, let's sell off our highly valued properties, including all the golden crosses and chalices, and give the money to the poor. The early church did just fine worshipping with nothing special in catacombs and private homes. We should do the same.

Ummmm, that actually sounds far more reasonable than Asterikos' idea.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:35:59 PM »

The Orthodox Church should return to the ancient and traditional form of baptism: baptizing adults when they are old enough to understand what they are doing.

And exactly how much understanding is required? Do I have to understand the chemical properties of the water I'm in?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »

The Biblical standard--confessing Jesus with your lips--should suffice. Except for mute people, they can just nod.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 11:50:30 PM »

I like you better as an agnostic, because let's face it, it's what you are.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »

Now don't go throwing accusions around Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 11:59:30 PM »

Sorry; lukewarm in nauseating, but perpetual indecisiveness is lethal.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:10:50 AM »

So would you be happier if I put agnostic back in my faith field?

Btw, deusveritasest, no, this thread wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Wink
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 12:12:44 AM »

So would you be happier if I put agnostic back in my faith field?

I am quite happy now that I know this thread is a joke.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:18:15 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »

The Biblical standard--confessing Jesus with your lips--should suffice. Except for mute people, they can just nod.

So people who are mentally retarded or brain dead are not allowed to receive the Sacred Mysteries?

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 07:37:56 PM »

Btw, deusveritasest, no, this thread wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Wink

As in you don't honestly believe what you are saying?

Or you do and are just bringing it up in a playful manner?

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 03:04:52 PM »

I would have absolutely no problem with this whatsoever! I say 'let's do it!'...and no this does not mean tithing will be done away with

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »

So people who are mentally retarded or brain dead are not allowed to receive the Sacred Mysteries?

I recently had an ongoing debate with a Baptist on youtube during which I asked him the same question. He had no answer to it

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 04:43:23 PM »

It has never been the policy or tradition of the Church in either covenant to deny membership and salvation to children. Sorry, the OP is utterly insane and invalid since there never was such a thing as "believer's baptism."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 04:47:34 PM »

I would have absolutely no problem with this whatsoever! I say 'let's do it!'...and no this does not mean tithing will be done away with

Why?

St John Chrysostom talks about this in one of the homilies in the book "On Wealth and Poverty" (or "Living Simply", I don't remember which offhand). These implements are the common property of the parish community, used in worship of God. The Church should be beautiful to inspire us with awe and elevate worship to a high status.

Why don't we first sell all our unnecessary personal possessions that we use only for ourselves? It's easy to say "yeah, sell off all the fancy stuff at church", but I'll only buy that argument when everyone at the parish is already living in tiny, bare, plain houses; driving plain functional cars; eating plain, functional food; and wearing plain, functional clothes. We don't need nice furniture, nice cars, multiple (or any) TVs or computers, decorations, knickknacks, Internet access, air conditioning, or even fancy icon corners like many of us have. Get rid of all that personal vanity, then we can talk about gutting our churches.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:55:01 PM by bogdan » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »

Why?

St John Chrysostom talks about this in one of the homilies in the book "On Wealth and Poverty" (or "Living Simply", I don't remember which offhand). These implements are the common property of the parish community, used in worship of God. The Church should be beautiful to inspire us with awe and elevate worship to a high status.

Why don't we first sell all our unnecessary personal possessions that we use only for ourselves? It's easy to say "yeah, sell off all the fancy stuff at church", but I'll only buy that argument when everyone at the parish is already living in tiny, bare, plain houses; driving plain functional cars; eating plain, functional food; and wearing plain, functional clothes. We don't need nice furniture, nice cars, multiple (or any) TVs or computers, decorations, knickknacks, air conditioning, or even fancy icon corners like many of us have. Get rid of all that vanity, then we can talk about gutting our churches.

Too many people would end getting struck down for lying about possessions they held back from the Church.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »

Why?

Why don't we first sell all our unnecessary personal possessions that we use only for ourselves? It's easy to say "yeah, sell off all the fancy stuff at church", but I'll only buy that argument when everyone at the parish is already living in tiny, bare, plain houses; driving plain functional cars; eating plain, functional food; and wearing plain, functional clothes. We don't need nice furniture, nice cars, multiple (or any) TVs or computers, decorations, knickknacks, air conditioning, or even fancy icon corners like many of us have. Get rid of all that vanity, then we can talk about gutting our churches.

Too many people would end getting struck down for lying about possessions they held back from the Church.

Yes. So we should be honest and say we live pretty cushy lifestyles in our personal homes, so there is no reason to gut our beautiful parish churches just to assuage some kind of guilt. And we should work on simplifying our own lives so we appreciate the beauty of the Church that much more.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:00:51 PM by bogdan » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »

It has never been the policy or tradition of the Church in either covenant to deny membership and salvation to children. Sorry, the OP is utterly insane and invalid since there never was such a thing as "believer's baptism."

Thanks for clearing that up. All these months I've been so confused, but now thanks to your timely post I understand!  Tongue
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »

Why?

Why don't we first sell all our unnecessary personal possessions that we use only for ourselves? It's easy to say "yeah, sell off all the fancy stuff at church", but I'll only buy that argument when everyone at the parish is already living in tiny, bare, plain houses; driving plain functional cars; eating plain, functional food; and wearing plain, functional clothes. We don't need nice furniture, nice cars, multiple (or any) TVs or computers, decorations, knickknacks, Internet access, air conditioning, or even fancy icon corners like many of us have. Get rid of all that personal vanity, then we can talk about gutting our churches.

OK Fair enough. I didn't mean that we should lump whatever spiritual burden may be necessary onto someone else and never myself. I pray that one day I might 'sell everything I own and givew my money to the poor".

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »

Why?

Yes. So we should be honest and say we live pretty cushy lifestyles in our personal homes, so there is no reason to gut our beautiful parish churches just to assuage some kind of guilt. And we should work on simplifying our own lives so we appreciate the beauty of the Church that much more.

Amen, amen, amen!

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up. All these months I've been so confused, but now thanks to your timely post I understand!  Tongue

Well, good. Glad I was able to help.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »

Too many people taking far too seriously an OP which, IMO, was obviously joking.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:48 PM »

we must return to the original "true" Church practice of the symbolic "Lord's memorial meal" too  :

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20080401a/article_01.htm

make sure the grape juice and crackers are from the Jehovah approved brand !  

the proper form of "believer's baptism" is once you are an adult (none of that Roman Catholic stuff I read in the orthodox church of dipping kids in water just to wet them) and once you can read the King James bible (in English), and no Trinity of course (which is pagan and comes from Constantine who forced the unscriptural Trinity on us, my pentecostal pastor said so). You must baptize in the name of "Jesus" or else you have a false baptism, fortunately God has mercy on those ignorant people who baptize in the name of the Trinity little kids, they might go to heaven we never know, he is all mercy. Poor Roman Catholics in Russia and Greece and serbs too, they should spend less time on the tall hats and more time reading the bible. Grin

note: it's a joke I'm not serious.Please don't get "believer's baptism" and "The Lord's memorial meal"!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:49:15 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 11:05:56 PM »

Thanks. Now I've got the facts straight, directly from a reliable and authoritative force.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »

Thanks. Now I've got the facts straight, directly from a reliable and authoritative force.

Of Course ! All you need is the bible (and study buddy watchtower society) ! Mr. Chick says so, he's a true Bible believer !

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 12:15:25 AM »

I recently had an ongoing debate with a Baptist on youtube during which I asked him the same question. He had no answer to it

Ya, if you say that they can't be Christian (because they aren't capable of professing their faith) it's like saying either A) they don't have a soul, or B) it's not worth saving; either position I consider to be morally reprehensible.\

Actually, I believe the Baptist would say that they are saved because they fall into the category of children; i.e. they aren't able to determine right from wrong (which means they are considered 'saved' by default).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:16:10 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 12:30:56 PM »

Why don't we first sell all our unnecessary personal possessions that we use only for ourselves? It's easy to say "yeah, sell off all the fancy stuff at church", but I'll only buy that argument when everyone at the parish is already living in tiny, bare, plain houses; driving plain functional cars; eating plain, functional food; and wearing plain, functional clothes.

You might as well say, "we'll gut our Churches when the moon turns to green cheese!"  Grin In fact, quantum mechanics makes it actually more likely that the moon will turn into green cheese long before every single Orthodox Christian does as you ask.  Cheesy

Look I love our beautiful Churches. I think they should be adorned in beauty, but like it or not, there is at some point when the lavishness of our Churches simply goes too far. Look at St. Peter's in Rome. One of the most fabulous Churches on earth, but for most of it's history it stood in glory while the rest of Rome was a hovel. Our Churches sometimes are no different, sometimes even worse. Parishes struggle for financial viability while there are 10 gold chalices sitting unused in the Altar.

We don't need nice furniture, nice cars, multiple (or any) TVs or computers, decorations, knickknacks, Internet access, air conditioning, or even fancy icon corners like many of us have.

And Churches don't need Icons made out of silver and gold. Bishops don't need vestments woven out of gold and silver thread. Monasteries don't need millions of dollars worth of adornments. Churches don't need a lot of things. To ask that the people actually set the example for the Church to follow is utterly backwards. It's like going to a hospital and the doctors tell you to treat your own broken leg, then after you get better they'll wrap it in a cast.

Get rid of all that personal vanity, then we can talk about gutting our churches.

How can WE get rid of personal vanity when the Church, which is supposed to nurture us, teach us, and guide our paths into theosis, won't take the initiative to teach and guide us? This just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not saying we should gut our Churches, but I've come to realize, long ago that sometimes the criticisms against the Church are in fact correct. It is perverse to see multi million dollar parishes in the midst of some slum somewhere in the world. It's just ridiculous to see some of the financial waste that takes place in some of our parishes. Yes, they are beautiful places of worship. No doubt. but what is more important? The altar or the gold that the altar is made of? Plenty of Alaskan Churches have been made out of log cabins, with a few nice Icons, and a carved wooden altar and they are just as beautiful, (if not more so) than the grandest cathedrals in the world. I certainly don't think we need to gut our Churches. However a little more modesty would go along way in the world in teaching not only Orthodox, but non Orthodox that we are concerned more with people than with things. That when we swear on the altar it is the altar that is important, not the gold that it is made of. No reason to strip down our Churches ala Vatican II, that would be horrible and totally pointless.  But is there any reason for say St. George's Patriarchal Church to add yet another golden chalice to it's already fabulous collection? Is there any reason St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona should be more spectacular than most parish churches in North America? I mean, what do monks need with all of that? Again I think st. Anthony's is spectacular, but what are our priorities here?

of course Churches shouldn't strip down to their bare walls, however I think we can find some form of balance and moderation in all this. Lots of people thing Churches need the newest and best, the biggest and brightest and continue to hoard things that will basically go unused until the end of time while their neighbors and fellow Orthodox struggle to make ends meat. Don't think it happens? Believe me, it most certainly does. I think this is where the Church can and should have a little more discernment. Not with what we already have, (unless we just have too much as it is like the previously mentioned gold chalices that are never used etc) but with new things. However asking the sheep to become their own shepherd  just doesn't make sense to me.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »

Lots of people thing Churches need the newest and best, the biggest and brightest and continue to hoard things that will basically go unused until the end of time while their neighbors and fellow Orthodox struggle to make ends meat.

No meat today; it's Friday.
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 01:24:10 PM »

Utter nonsense.

If the original practice of the Church was to deny Baptism to infants and young children, when did they change?

Protestants cant answer that question. It would have been a monumental shift. How could that change have been made WITH NO DISCUSSION AT ALL ?

Where are the emails ??
-------------------------

Fr. We have noted that you are not yet Baptizing Infants.

Did you not see the prior memo that the Church has decided to shift away from "Believers Baptism" and begin a brand new practice of Infant Baptism?

We have decided not to have a public discussion over this change as a way to confound people in the future. Is funny, No?

Burn this email.

---------------------------  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:24:53 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »

Utter nonsense.

If the original practice of the Church was to deny Baptism to infants and young children, when did they change?

Protestants cant answer that question. It would have been a monumental shift. How could that change have been made WITH NO DISCUSSION AT ALL ?

Where are the emails ??

Did you not see the prior memo that the Church has decided to shift away from "Believers Baptism" and begin a brand new practice of Infant Baptism?

We have decided not to have a public discussion over this change as a way to confound people in the future. Is funny, No?

Burn this email.

Sadly, some Orthodox jurisdictions operate a bit like this.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 03:54:47 PM »

Utter nonsense.

Where are the emails ??

Burn this email.

When did they change believing sins after baptism couldn't be forgiven?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11 The poor you will always have with you,[a] but you will not always have me.
Matthew 26 NIV

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 04:29:30 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. 9 “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.” Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11 The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want, but you will not always have me.
Matthew 26 NIV

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:34:45 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »

LOL. They never do.  Tongue

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »

Why?

I very much appreciate this line of thinking.  Wink

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »

LOL. They never do.  Tongue

Actually, I believe the Baptist would say that they are saved because they fall into the category of children; i.e. they aren't able to determine right from wrong (which means they are considered 'saved' by default).
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »

That makes it sound like they don't really believe in ancestral sin.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »

AFAIK they don't believe in original sin, at least in the way that it is traditionally taught. They have their own belief that all babies go to heaven until they reach the age of accountability (or age of reason). It's a novel little doctrine...
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »

AFAIK they don't believe in original sin, at least in the way that it is traditionally taught. They have their own belief that all babies go to heaven until they reach the age of accountability (or age of reason). It's a novel little doctrine...
I'd like to know how they really explain it. "Jesus loves the little children" is what they hear for several years, then suddenly one day, it's "Repent or burn in hell!" I've never quite figured out how they decide who is accountable and who isn't. Seems rather cruel to me.

Of course, a lot of child evangelism is of the highly emotional type: "You want to be a good little boy/girl, don't you, and make Mommy/Daddy/Grandma/Grandpa happy, right? And you want to go to heaven when you die, don't you, so you can see Nanna and your baby sister who died before she was born?" With that emphasis on death at an early age, it's no wonder kids have nightmares.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »

I'd like to know how they really explain it. "Jesus loves the little children" is what they hear for several years, then suddenly one day, it's "Repent or burn in hell!" I've never quite figured out how they decide who is accountable and who isn't. Seems rather cruel to me.

Of course, a lot of child evangelism is of the highly emotional type: "You want to be a good little boy/girl, don't you, and make Mommy/Daddy/Grandma/Grandpa happy, right? And you want to go to heaven when you die, don't you, so you can see Nanna and your baby sister who died before she was born?" With that emphasis on death at an early age, it's no wonder kids have nightmares.

Ya, you get 6 years or so of ignorant bliss, but then once you hit that magical age...wham! They lay on the fire and brimstone by the truckloads.
Tags: sure it is... :p It's all a big joke. joking...don't do it! 
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: