OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:44:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible (EOB) or The Orthodox New Testament  (Read 5680 times) Average Rating: 0
OnThePathForward

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (former Roman Catholic)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: May 22, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »

Hi guys,

Well I've been doing a lot of reading lately about the different types of Old Testaments and New Testaments, and I finally narrowed my decision for a New Testament down to:

1) The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible (EOB) New Testament

http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/eob/about.asp

2) The Orthodox New Testament (Holy Apostles Convent)

http://www.holyapostlesconvent.org/HacWebStore/product_info.php?products_id=8

With that said, I would love to hear comments, opinions, pros/cons, differences between the two, similarities, etc.  from people who use these bibles, either one or the other, or both. 

Thank you so much! Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:43:36 PM »

I'm not familiar with the EOB, but I recommend against the Holy Apostles Convent one, unless you are just buying it for the patristic quotes.
Feanor

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »

I also recommend against the Holy Apostles Convent bible unless you are particularly interested in some of the translations, eg the use of Logos, energeia and hypostasis which does not occur in other NT translations. However, it's very hard to read... the sentences are poorly structured and far too long, and it uses a lot of Old English. There are much better bibles for readability; however, the translation is very good.   I only reccomend it as a supplement to another NT - you could use the Orthodox NT for comparison/reference when curious about a particular translation. Don't use it as your standard devotional bible, though...

The patristic quotes in the much more expensive two volume set are also very informative and useful.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:27:06 PM »

and it uses a lot of Old English.

I doubt it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »

I have seen the EOB NT, which was modified from the World English Bible NT (an public domain translation based on the Byzantine Majority Text), and I like it way more than the ONT. It's an excellent translation and the footnotes document the variants from other Greek NT texts, which seems to be more of your interest. I have also seen the unpublished EOB OT (which I downloaded when the file was still on the site), it looks very promising but alas it is yet to be completed.

So I personally recommend the EOB NT instead of the ONT. And until the EOB OT is completed, I recommend the latest English translation of the LXX: A New English Translation of the Septuagint by Oxford University Press.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »

Neither. I recommend the Orthodox Study Bible.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »

Neither. I recommend the Orthodox Study Bible.
That's nice, but I think the OP has already ruled that one out.
StJohn978
Moderated

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 09:30:59 PM »

The Apostolic Bible is the most accurate bible I have ever bought or read:

http://apostolicbible.com/

See for yourself and download it.

I like the OSB though, the print is bigger. But the New Testament is the clumsy NKJV.

The Old Testament in the OSB, is the Brenton LXX text. The Apocrypha is very nice Smiley
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:33:01 PM by StJohn978 » Logged
Feanor

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 09:50:52 PM »

and it uses a lot of Old English.

I doubt it.

You're right. It doesn't use Anglo-Saxon. It uses excessive and tedious 'Early Modern English', much like that of Shakespeare but without any aesthetic appeal whatsoever.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 10:18:17 PM »

The OP has communicated his intent to focus only on two "finalist" translations of the New Testament:  The Eastern Orthodox Bible's New Testament and the Orthodox New Testament from Holy Apostles Convent.  We have an earlier thread where we discuss a number of other versions from which OnThePathForward selected these final two.  If you wish to discuss versions of the Bible outside of the two finalists the OP has chosen, I encourage you to submit your thoughts to this older thread:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,27287.0.html.  Otherwise, to keep this thread on topic and minimize needless chatter, I ask that you limit your comments to only the two versions of the Bible OnThePathForward listed in the OP, those being the New Testament found in the Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible and the Holy Apostles Convent New Testament.  Thank you.

- PeterTheAleut
Faith Issues Section Moderator
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:19:42 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 09:05:01 AM »

I personally prefer the EOB over the ONT. The ONT translation is, to me, just odd. I have a hang-up on the ONT translating the other Apostles' names, but they leave Iakovos in Greek. What's up with that?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
OnThePathForward

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:42 PM »

Thank you everyone for your opinion and viewpoint on this.  I am leaning towards the EOB New Testament!  if anyone else would like to comment on these two version of the New Testament, I would love to hear it!   Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »

Has anyone else bought the EOB - New Testament? I was thinking about getting it as a supplement to the OSB, because I've found most of the commentary in that thing to be patently worthless. I do like the love put into and the general aesthetics of the genuine leather OSB. The language is very approachable, but it seems to really lack something, I just can't quite put my finger on it.

Does the EOB manage to maintain its readability, or is it so bogged down with parenthesis and footnotes that one ends up distracted the entire time? I got the impression that this might be the case from the sample of Zephaniah available on the website as a preview for the upcoming Old Testament.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:34:22 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:36:25 PM »

A few years ago they had the full text of the EOB New Testament posted on their website. It appears to be gone now, but I downloaded it at the time. It's 11MB, too large to attach to a post, but I'm attaching a few pages from the Gospel of John.

I generally like how it reads, and I find the footnotes to be generally useful. I think the parentheticals are sometimes overdone, as all of the following are used in different contexts: () [] {} <>. I wonder if they could have found a better way to do it. Also, sometimes it's obvious that it was not typeset by professionals, due to minor errors and oddities that normal people probably wouldn't notice, but are not indicative of professional work. According to metadata it was typeset in Microsoft Word, so...yeah.

But that's picking nits. If you like how it reads, I would say go for it. It supports their cause of finishing the OT, of which we need a proper Orthodox translation. I don't know if this is it, but it may encourage The Powers That Be to make that a priority.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 11:46:10 PM »

Thanks for those attachments. Perhaps you can email me the rest? Is that attachment size too big for an email account to handle?

I think I probably will go ahead and order this. I'm going to see if my church bookstore has this tomorrow. You can never have too many translations, especially from an Orthodox perspective, which is so rare in North America.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »

Thanks for those attachments. Perhaps you can email me the rest? Is that attachment size too big for an email account to handle?

I think I probably will go ahead and order this. I'm going to see if my church bookstore has this tomorrow. You can never have too many translations, especially from an Orthodox perspective, which is so rare in North America.

Sure thing! It's 11 MB, which I think most email systems can do these days. Just PM me your email address and I'll pass it along.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 12:55:08 AM »

For what it's worth, I also have the ONT. I agree that it's kind of odd. Invariably, every time I read it I end up having to backtrack because I misread something or it was just unclear. It doesn't have the flow of natural language; it seems kind of forced and excessively literal. It may be good for serious study, but it's not good for normal daily reading.

The one nice thing about it is the size. It's the same size as standard prayer books and the HTM Psalter, so it sits nicely with the other members of the home altar. It's a minor detail, but like the Apostle, I prefer everything to be in order. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:55:49 AM by bogdan » Logged
OnThePathForward

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »

I did just want to say that I ended up buying the EOB New Testament and I'm really enjoying it so far.  I really love how it'll specify a difference between the Critical Text, Majority Text, etc. or for that matter when a footnote specifies whether something agrees with the LXX v. the Masoretic Text.   I think it's great it covers all of this. Smiley
Tags: Bible translations 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: