OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:38:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For a job  (Read 1052 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: May 21, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »

So today was the last day of school, and I still don't have anything lined up for next year. I've applied to just about every school in the area, I think, and even a couple of colleges that have open positions for which I'm qualified to teach, but nothing is coming up. I've gone so far as to apply for shift manager at McDonald's, and I never got an interview.

It's been so frustrating trying to find anything right now that I can't even feel good about the end of the school year. My wife and I talked to my priest about it, and he thinks I may be experiencing depression. He may be right.

Fortunately, I get a paycheck until August (we're on a 12-month pay schedule), but if I'm going to have to take a pay cut (as, it seems, will be likely), I want those checks over the summer to supplement the reduced salary I'll be earning.

Sorry to bother all of you with my personal problems. I just need someone to pray for this. I can't right now.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »

Lord, have mercy. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:58:07 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:28:39 PM »

Lord Have Mercy !
That He May Guide Your Steps To A Great Job...Amen Amen
Grant this Most Blessed Lord ....Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »

Lord, have mercy! Wishing you well, and that all sorts of doors will open for you very soon!!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:02:15 AM »

Lord, have mercy.  Keep us posted on the job search!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »

Y, I have been in the same situation as you have been this past year.  I'm trying to navigate the job market and so far, nothing.  You are a bit more marketable than I am since what you teach is more universal than what I do but I know that a lot of school districts are simply cutting back no matter what good candidates present themselves. I just took a job that will not be in my field and for substantially less money than what I was making, but I'm going to make the best of it and still continue to look for teaching jobs where ever they may be.  I hope things work out for you.  I was able to get through things thanks to the great and generous support of my family and friends.  I hope you have similar support.  Best of luck.

Lord, have mercy!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »

Y, I have been in the same situation as you have been this past year.  I'm trying to navigate the job market and so far, nothing.  You are a bit more marketable than I am since what you teach is more universal than what I do but I know that a lot of school districts are simply cutting back no matter what good candidates present themselves. I just took a job that will not be in my field and for substantially less money than what I was making, but I'm going to make the best of it and still continue to look for teaching jobs where ever they may be.  I hope things work out for you.  I was able to get through things thanks to the great and generous support of my family and friends.  I hope you have similar support.  Best of luck.

Lord, have mercy!
Thank you. Yes, my parents have been very helpful. I still have paychecks coming through August, so we're still okay financially. I've begun to apply outside my field as well, and for a substantial pay cut, but I've got several friends at a couple of school districts as well as Missouri State University that are trying to pull some strings where they can. Looks like worst case scenario is I can substitute teach next year, although I probably won't get many hours due to the number of teachers out of work right now.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: