OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 11:10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serbian Orthodox Church appoints hardline Bishop Amfilohije as new church leader  (Read 1158 times) Average Rating: 0
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« on: May 21, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jA30vM_9tNGjEF18xE_xhkBib4mQ

Serbian Orthodox Church appoints hardline Bishop Amfilohije as new church leader in Kosovo

By The Associated Presss

BELGRADE, Serbia — The Serbian Orthodox Church has appointed a hardliner as the new bishop in Kosovo after a predecessor was replaced over an alleged financial fraud.

The church says that the new spiritual leader of Serbs in Kosovo will be Bishop Amfilohije Radovic, who is notorious for his nationalist and conservative beliefs.

The appointment late Thursday signals that the Serbian church remains firm in its rejection of Kosovo's Western-backed declaration of independence in 2008.

The Serbian church considers Kosovo the cradle of its foundation. Hundreds of Serbian monasteries, some dating to the medieval era, are located there.

The previous Kosovo bishop, Artemije, was replaced in February over allegations that he embezzled church and state funds.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »

http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics-article.php?yyyy=2010&mm=05&dd=15&nav_id=67147

Patriarch: Partition of Kosovo Unacceptable

15/5/2010

KURSUMLIJA - Patriarch Irinej said that a
partition of Kosovo is both unacceptable and unachievable.

He also said that the situation in the province
is very difficult and added that he cannot
imagine the Pec' patriarchy not being a part of
Serbia, but a part of another country, adding
that this too would be unacceptable.

"Serbia is not Serbia without Kosovo. For me it
is a being without a head. Our country cannot be
beheaded and stripped of Kosovo. I hope that
enough reason and wisdom will be found by us and the world," he said.

Regarding dialogue with officials of the Catholic
Church and the Pope, Irinej said that such talks
are important, adding that the Serbian Orthodox
Church (SPC) is not running from such talks,
because discussions can help overcome divisions
that exist in the Christian church.

"The Pope has great power in the world, so why
not talk about our problems and the problems of
others with such a person? We must try to stop
the divisions and start turning towards united values,"
Patriarch Irinej said.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »

Serbia may not be Serbia without Kosovo, but, IIRC, there was a time when there was an independent Serbia, but Kosovo was not part of that entity, perhaps some time in the 19th century. I could be wrong. In Rebecca West's "Black Lamb, Grey Falcon," it appears that in the interwar period in the 20th century, Kosovo was largely ignored economically, as if it had only recently been made part of Serbia/Yugoslavia. (Recently meaning within the past 50 years.)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Fr. Deacon Daniel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:25:56 PM »

Serbian Orthodox Church appoints hardline Bishop Amfilohije as new church leader in Kosovo

By The Associated Presss

BELGRADE, Serbia — The Serbian Orthodox Church has appointed a hardliner as the new bishop in Kosovo after a predecessor was replaced over an alleged financial fraud.

The church says that the new spiritual leader of Serbs in Kosovo will be Bishop Amfilohije Radovic, who is notorious for his nationalist and conservative beliefs.

The appointment late Thursday signals that the Serbian church remains firm in its rejection of Kosovo's Western-backed declaration of independence in 2008.

The Serbian church considers Kosovo the cradle of its foundation. Hundreds of Serbian monasteries, some dating to the medieval era, are located there.

The previous Kosovo bishop, Artemije, was replaced in February over allegations that he embezzled church and state funds.

It is so terrible to here such slander of a great and holy man. As probably the only person here who has met and served with Metropolitan Amfilohije on multiple occasions I can testify to his greatness and holiness. Being around him was like being around a living saint. He runs around his homeland like a 30 year old (I Think he is in his 70's) taking care of his flock on the power of the prayers of the faithful. The church and believers love him and flock to wherever he goes. I was hoping he would be the next patriarch but God will be done.

It is also no surprise that the west call's him a hardliner and other slanderous statements as he does not back down to the western secular influences he sees pervading his country. The west hates him because he stands for Eastern Orthodoxy and is beloved by the people. He epitomizes what Eastern Orthodoxy is and what the west wishes to destroy.

I can tell you from personal experience that this a beloved man of God is true example Orthodox leadership.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:31:14 PM by lavrishevo » Logged

"Everybody wants to change the world, but nobody thinks about changing himself."

—Dostoevsky
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: