OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 12:19:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Orthodox vs Catholic Confusion inside Orthodoxy  (Read 5143 times) Average Rating: 0
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2010, 09:36:18 AM »

There are many instances where the Vatican has made deep and profound apology but that seems always to get thrown in our faces.  I've never seen any similar Orthodox statements, so I can't say if they exist or not.

There have not been any Vatican apologies.

The heartfelt apologies which John Paul apparently wished to make were subverted by Cardinal Ratzinger who saw John Paul as naively creating a dangerous precedent for the Roman Catholic Church and diminishing its dignity as the Una Sancta.

So grab some of those apologies and see what they became under Ratzinger's influence --- they actually became not an apology to the victims but a prayer offered by the Pope that God would forgive the Roman Catholics who had committed the wrong.

This cunning was not lost on the Orthodox.

Roll Eyes

Vintage

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2010, 09:46:01 AM »

There are many instances where the Vatican has made deep and profound apology but that seems always to get thrown in our faces.  I've never seen any similar Orthodox statements, so I can't say if they exist or not.

The heartfelt apologies which John Paul apparently wished to make were subverted by Cardinal Ratzinger who saw John Paul as naively creating a dangerous precedent for the Roman Catholic Church and diminishing its dignity as the Una Sancta.

So grab some of those apologies and see what they became under Ratzinger's influence --- they actually became not an apology to the victims but a prayer offered by the Pope that God would forgive the Roman Catholics who had committed the wrong.

Roll Eyes

Vintage

Athens, 2001, and an example of the very carefully nuanced non-apologies issued by Pope John Paul  (crafted by Cardinal Ratzinger.)

"For the occasions past and present, when the sons and daughters of the Catholic Church have sinned by actions and omission against their Orthodox brothers and sisters, may the Lord grant us the forgiveness we beg of him."

If you do a search on this 'apology' you will find the stinging criticisms of this 'apology' in the Orthodox press.   
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2010, 09:58:23 AM »

Roll Eyes

Vintage

Athens, 2001, and an example of the very carefully nuanced non-apologies issued by Pope John Paul  (crafted by Cardinal Ratzinger.)

"For the occasions past and present, when the sons and daughters of the Catholic Church have sinned by actions and omission against their Orthodox brothers and sisters, may the Lord grant us the forgiveness we beg of him."

If you do a search on this 'apology' you will find the stinging criticisms of this 'apology' in the Orthodox press.   

No doubt.  There are many Orthodox who can make something evil out of anything Catholic.  You've heard priests talk about stomping on consecrated eucharist if it is Catholic because it is nothing.

As I said, most of the time Catholic apologies fall on deaf ears.

There happens to be a very long and beautiful Vatican document enumerating a long list of things that the Church holds in sorrow in her heart and prayer life...

You know so much about us...I am surprised you don't know it.

Maybe some day when I have more time.

M.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »

Roll Eyes

Vintage

No doubt.  There are many Orthodox who can make something evil out of anything Catholic.

It's not evil, Elijahmaria, it is not evil to ask God to forgive.   But it is not an apology.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2010, 10:11:33 AM »

Roll Eyes

Vintage

No doubt.  There are many Orthodox who can make something evil out of anything Catholic.

It's not evil, Elijahmaria, it is not evil to ask God to forgive.   But it is not an apology.

There is no forgiveness without genuine compunction and the firm amendment not to sin again.

That is Catholic teaching.

That is what the Orthodox who reject that statement spit on and kick back on us.  It is what I have come to expect, and why I wish my Church would stop doing it because it is falling on deaf ears.  We should hold private services in our rooms and stop heaping ashes on our heads in public so we can be mocked. 

Orthodox who do that are wrong and need to apologize.

M.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2010, 10:28:28 AM »

"The Pope Among the Orthodox"
http://www.trincoll.edu/depts/csrpl/rinvol4no2/Pope%20Among%20Orthodox.htm

"The Orthodox view of the Catholic Church is often a curious mélange of fact, fantasy, cultural prejudice, sublime theological misunderstanding, resentment, reasonable disagreement and unreasonable dread."
~ David Hart of Duke University Divinity School

Let's all have a nice cup of tea and go home.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »

"The Orthodox view of the Catholic Church is often a curious mélange of fact, fantasy, cultural prejudice, sublime theological misunderstanding, resentment, reasonable disagreement and unreasonable dread."

You are welcome to my house for tea any time and I would not hesitate to knock on your door at a reasonable hour.

Sometimes the Hart Brothers give me reason to go  Huh, but I rather like this characterization of David's here.  Eases my Ortho-headache...and the heartache that goes with it.

M.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:40:51 AM by elijahmaria » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2010, 10:52:18 AM »

And of course the memorable statement of Metropolitan Anthony Bloom of London

"Our relationship with Roman Catholicism

"It is time we realised that Rome is only interested in extinguishing Orthodoxy.
Theological encounters and 'accords' on the basis of texts lead us up a blind alley,
for behind them there looms a firm resolve of the Vatican to swallow up the Orthodox Church."

The whole thing is in "Sourozh" the diocesan magazine of the UK Russian diocese:
Metr. Anthony of Sourozh, "A Letter to Patriarch Alexis of Moscow and All
Russia", SOUROZH, 69 (August 1997), 17-22.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2010, 10:53:43 AM »

[You are welcome to my house for tea any time and I would not hesitate to knock on your door at a reasonable hour.

Why, thank you.  I am sure we would have lots of enjoyable conversation if we lived in the same town.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2010, 11:10:43 AM »

"It is time we realised that Rome is only interested in extinguishing Orthodoxy.
Theological encounters and 'accords' on the basis of texts lead us up a blind alley,
for behind them there looms a firm resolve of the Vatican to swallow up the Orthodox Church."

The whole thing is in "Sourozh" the diocesan magazine of the UK Russian diocese:

Ya know... we can take Counsel of our Fears or we can go bravely down that long and narrow road together...Ut Unum Sint.

M.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »

Ya know... we can take Counsel of our Fears or we can go bravely down that long and narrow road together...Ut Unum Sint.

M.
au contraire, that road is broad and wide, and we know it goes through  a wide open gate.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »

M.
au contraire, that road is broad and wide, and we know it goes through  a wide open gate.

Who are you and what feeds this attitude of your's? 

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »

For the benefit of those wondering what official-type policy is on citations:

If you get an article from the web, you have to provide the link, just as if you get an article from a printed media (book, magazine, newspaper), you have to provide the page number in addition to the other usual info (title, volume, author, etc.).

Make sense?

- Fr. George, Global Moderator

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2010, 11:27:33 AM »

Since there seems to be no relevant or useful discussion here, the thread is hereby locked.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: leavened bread 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: