Author Topic: Something bothersome  (Read 1985 times)

Offline EmptyBe

Something bothersome
« on: May 20, 2010, 01:25:49 AM »
I'm quite disturbed by people saying hurtful things under the guise of being "Christian"

"YOU ARE WRONG, I AM RIGHT, YOU ARE A HERETIC, I AM AMAZING AND SAINTLY, peace be with you"

I just don't see this as a way people should be talking to one another. If you don't agree and you
can't say so in a way that is edifying to the whole community, why talk at all? It's so obvious
it is a way to say mean things without really saying anything wrong. It's disgusting.

/rant
ICXC NIKA,
Matthew

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: Something bothersome
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:37:25 AM »
Well, I don't think I can answer this since I really am always right all the time.   :D

Seriously, the problem with being on a discussion forum is that people aren't as polite with each other as they would be if they were sitting with each other face to face.  It's just how it is.  If someone is really out of line, you could report them to the moderator.  Otherwise, you just gotta grow a thick skin.

I've always felt that to survive here, one has to have a thick skin and a screwball sense of humor.  :D

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 02:39:40 AM »
Or would that be a slapstick sense of humor?

What are the various genre of humor, and which one do we need in order to deal with many of the discussions here at OCnet?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:50:14 AM »
Or would that be a slapstick sense of humor?

What are the various genre of humor, and which one do we need in order to deal with many of the discussions here at OCnet?
The ability to give as much bull as others give you. ;D

Around here, it's better to be a quickwit than a nitwit.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:54:02 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:00:47 AM »
I'm quite disturbed by people saying hurtful things under the guise of being "Christian"

"YOU ARE WRONG, I AM RIGHT, YOU ARE A HERETIC, I AM AMAZING AND SAINTLY, peace be with you"

I just don't see this as a way people should be talking to one another. If you don't agree and you
can't say so in a way that is edifying to the whole community, why talk at all? It's so obvious
it is a way to say mean things without really saying anything wrong. It's disgusting.

/rant

I think we should go back to the old way of dialogue.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »
The distance provided by internet conversation tends to bring out the "tough guy" in some posters.  They talk a lot of macho nonsense about this or that canon or heresy here or whatever else and forget that we're called to love one another and deal with the issues with compassion.  It's hard to have compassion for people who are only represented by pixels and text.  My general rule of thumb is that I don't say anything I wouldn't say to someone face to face, and as I am not comfortable with confrontation that means I keep my mouth shut quite a bit.  Also, forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, right?   ;D
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Robert W

• Self-appointed forum herald
  • Elder
  • Love is no feeling
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »
I had a coffee mug (broken now :() that said:

Quote from: Coffee mug

It's difficult being humble when I'm always right

I have learned much from this quote. Now I am the most humble person person on this forum. Maybe one day you will get as humble as I am.  8)

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 12:31:36 PM »
Communication on the Internet can be very difficult, and often real communication is impossible, both in what we say and how we read what people have said, because even after much back and forth, we don't arrive at an understanding. I don't see it as a black and white between matters of truth and love. You can't have one without the other, really, but there are effective and ineffective ways of communicating, and these depend a lot on the individuals with whom we are communicating. Since our ability to know our audience or our speakers is limited, I think it helps to take things with a grain of salt, and not get upset.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »
It's easy being humble when you're always wrong.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline EmptyBe

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's obvious that people feel they can get away with more since it is the internet but I just assumed it would be different here. I haven't had any problems, I just saw other arguments and how fake their niceness was. It bothered me.  :-\
ICXC NIKA,
Matthew

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's obvious that people feel they can get away with more since it is the internet but I just assumed it would be different here. I haven't had any problems, I just saw other arguments and how fake their niceness was. It bothered me.  :-\
I often think being nice is overrated.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:38:15 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's obvious that people feel they can get away with more since it is the internet but I just assumed it would be different here. I haven't had any problems, I just saw other arguments and how fake their niceness was. It bothered me.  :-\
I often think being nice is overrated.

This thread reminds of the Mac Davis song "It's hard to be humble:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

On a serious note though, I think we all (myself included) could do better in exercising Christian charity towards one another, and remembering that the person behind the obscure screen name has been made in the image and likeness of God.

Just because we disagree with one another, that doesn't give us license to tear one another apart.

I see how viciously we attack one another here (particularly in the Politics forum) and I sometimes think, "does it really matter that much? Does having someone agree with you matter that much that you must tear them down?"

I've seen posters call each other names, suggest that they meet offline to reconcile their differences in person via physical force, and I just don't understand it. 

It's an internet forum people.

NOTHING we say here is that important to tear one another apart.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 03:08:05 AM »
On a serious note though, I think we all (myself included) could do better in exercising Christian charity towards one another, and remembering that the person behind the obscure screen name has been made in the image and likeness of God.
Indeed!  I can't agree with you more.  However, since you quoted in this reply my comment about being nice, I think it good for me to say that I don't see the exercise of Christian charity and the exercise of "being nice" as necessarily synonymous.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:09:38 AM by PeterTheAleut »