OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:06:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stories like this one???  (Read 1099 times) Average Rating: 0
Radost

Faith: seeking

« on: May 20, 2010, 08:33:52 AM »

I was able to read one amazing story here http://www.sfaturiortodoxe.ro/orthodox/orthodox_advices_yoga.htm that I could relate to...especially with how this person was missing a connection with a personal God. My background throughout the years studying the world religions has leaned more toward new age/paganism rather than any form of Christianity.  I'm wondering if anyone has any stories or links about people who converted from these kinds of paths to Orthodoxy.  I have been through the years around people who are on the new age/pagan paths---even exposed to people on the magick types of path who seem to hate Chrisitianity but also throughout the years I would in private read inspiring stories about the saints quietly cheering for them and the way they could use even the hard times of life as stepping stones to deepen their connection to God.  People in many of the new age/pagan paths I was around seemed to think I'm a bit crazy when I start talking about saints and how I explained that the sainsts were the happiest people in the world due to the fact that they always knew to put God first even in the most mundane tasks of life. Some of the pagan people who were around me believed that the Christian God was actually the bad guy...that all mainstream religion was bad especially Christianity...and there was just no one I could talk to about saints or the joy of offering even our trials as blessings to bring us closer to God---until I started connecting with the Russian outlook on life.  When I started connecting with Orthodox people, I found how people love talking about the stories of the saints who experience the sincere love of a personal God.  I feel more at home here lately than being around new age/pagan outlooks on life. 
Do you know any stories or links of people who came from this type of background to Orthodoxy and what their experiences were?Huh  I read lots of stories of people who came from a strong Chrisitan background but if anyone knows of any stories from the background I talked about, I'd like to read some of these stories as well.   Please send me some links if you know of any?Huh?  Any more links similar to the story I posted?Huh?
Gentleman

Faith: Christian (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Moskow

He hangeth earth upon nothing (Job 26:7)

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:11:26 AM »

A Catechmen’s Journey From Hinduism
A Muslim Preacher Converts to Orthodoxy

I can offer you a few sample perceptions that I have developed on the way as to why Orthodox Christianity makes sense to Buddhists

Testimonies: Converting to Eastern Orthodox Christianity
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:34:35 AM by Gentleman » Logged

I pray Thee, O Merciful Lord, for all the peoples of the earth, that they may come to know Thee by Thy Holy Spirit.

www.journeytoorthodoxy.com/
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:37:14 AM »

I was not raised with any religion. I was an atheist much of my life, but religion always fascinated me. I eventually explored Daoism and was a Buddhist for a while. I certainly felt the need for a personal God, though, and this drew me to Orthodoxy. Orthodoxy was the first kind of Christianity I seriously explored and, while I looked at other Christian traditions, Orthodoxy is where I kept coming back. My experiences weren't quite as dramatic or intense as those described in the story (I was never so advanced in Buddhism as he was), but the longing was certainly there. I know of at least one other member here who came from Buddhism, but I'll let him speak for himself.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:37:38 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »

I am an inquirer, and my Japanese wife commented that she liked the prayer rope I had recently purchased. "Very Asian," she commented. I have never been particularly observant of my faith during our marriage, so only recently she and I begun to seriously discuss Christianity. I have found much in traditional Christianity that is similar to Buddhism as practiced in Japan. Of course, a problem has been that she was not raised to be an observant Buddhist, so she had never heard of the things such as Pure Land Buddhism that I thought were such helpful analogues! Smiley

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 03:00:37 AM »

Of course, a problem has been that she was not raised to be an observant Buddhist, so she had never heard of the things such as Pure Land Buddhism that I thought were such helpful analogues! Smiley

Very much agree with this statement.

PS: Where do all the people on this forum find these Japanese wives??

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »

Of course, a problem has been that she was not raised to be an observant Buddhist, so she had never heard of the things such as Pure Land Buddhism that I thought were such helpful analogues! Smiley

You mail order them and they come to you in a Hello Kitty box.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »

Now I really want one.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 11:29:10 PM »

Now I really want one.
It will also help to never, ever mention animation to them.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: