OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 05:53:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serafim Rose  (Read 2221 times) Average Rating: 0
Radost

Faith: seeking

« on: May 19, 2010, 10:42:49 PM »

I am curious if anyone is familiar with Serafim Rose's books.  I thought about reading the book called Serafim Rose His Life and Works because he studied under St. John Maximovich and was involved a lot with Russian Orthodoxy in California.  I live next to California 4 hours from San Francisco so I am thinking I'd probably enjoy reading that book.  Has anyone else read it?  What are your opinions of Serafim Rose? 
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »

I highly recommend reading it since it is very good. Fr. Seraphim Rose was a great ascetic of our time.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:15:19 AM »

Try checking out:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19644.0.html

People's opinions of his works tend to be very binary, either they love them or hate them.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 01:40:34 AM »

Well, I haven't read many of his works (only his selected lay sermons), I did really enjoy reading his biography and I feel that I got spiritual benefit from reading it.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:58:34 PM »

I have read many of his books and find them very enlightening.  I have started reading his biography, but have not yet finished.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:19:36 PM »

that biography is one of the best books i've ever read. i find it incredibly spiritually beneficial!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:31:44 PM by jckstraw72 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »

What are your opinions of Serafim Rose?

I've read the following, and here are my opinions of each...

God's Revelation to the Human Heart - Neutral on this one
Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age - Wouldn't recommend
Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future - Wouldn't recommend
The Place of Blessed Augustine in the Orthodox Church - Would recommend
The Soul After Death - Wouldn't recommend
Vita Patrum by St. Gregory of Tours - Would recommend
The Apocalypse: In the Teachings of Ancient Christianity - Would recommend
Not of This World: The Life and Teaching of Fr. Seraphim Rose - Would recommend

Note that I read the older biography of Fr. Seraphim Rose, and haven't read the new one. So to sum up, things that he edited I generally would recommend, and the main biographical book about him I would generally recommend, but things actually written by him I am much more wary of.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 04:56:44 AM »

I definitely recommend His Life and Works by Hiermonk Damascene.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 05:27:34 AM »

I definitely recommend His Life and Works by Hiermonk Damascene.

Selam

Me too. I don't know about his other books but I did find that biography a good cure against convertitis. He seemed to become pretty balanced in his later years even though some of his views stayed quite weird. Stuff like this was quite eye-opening.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »

I generally like his works and find them very enlightening. I would not recommend them as introductory reading though, with the exception of his biography. His writings are often overly literal and not particularly nuanced, and could therefor be quite confusing (if not actually harmful) for someone not well grounded in Orthodox theology.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:31:49 AM »

I have read many of his books and find them very enlightening.  I have started reading his biography, but have not yet finished.
The huge green one? I feel like I've read so much, but I'm only around page 260. I am loving it so far!

I have read Blessed Seraphim's Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future and I found it to be excellent. I look forward to the day when we can commemorate him as St. Seraphim of Platina. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 10:48:44 PM »

The huge green one? 

I look forward to the day when we can commemorate him as St. Seraphim of Platina. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

Yes

I already do.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 11:39:08 PM »

The huge green one? 

I look forward to the day when we can commemorate him as St. Seraphim of Platina. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

Yes

I already do.

I should have clarified. I do as well. Smiley By 'we' I meant the Orthodox Church the world over. I know that he is very popular for some reason in Italy. Can anyone tell me why? This is of particular interest to me as my family hails from Sicily.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 12:58:07 AM »

I have an icon of him in my prayer corner and ask for his prayers. He is already a saint, just not "officially."
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 10:31:09 AM »

The huge green one? 

In Christ,
Andrew

Yes

I already do.

I should have clarified. I do as well. Smiley By 'we' I meant the Orthodox Church the world over. I know that he is very popular for some reason in Italy. Can anyone tell me why? This is of particular interest to me as my family hails from Sicily.

In Christ,
Andrew

He is very popular throughout the world.  I have yet to meet someone from abroad who has read his works that does not hold him in high regard.  It is only in the United States that I have seen any controversy over him.  But then again, did not even Jesus say that a prophet is not without honor except in his own land and among his own people? 

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »

The huge green one? 

In Christ,
Andrew

Yes

I already do.

In Christ,
Andrew

He is very popular throughout the world.  I have yet to meet someone from abroad who has read his works that does not hold him in high regard.  It is only in the United States that I have seen any controversy over him.  But then again, did not even Jesus say that a prophet is not without honor except in his own land and among his own people? 

Well said.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »

very true. Met. +JOSEPH of the Bulgarians in America said he has seen Fr. Seraphim on iconostases in Russia
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »

very true. Met. +JOSEPH of the Bulgarians in America said he has seen Fr. Seraphim on iconostases in Russia
That's wonderful to hear!

My priest was very inspired by Fr. Seraphim after his conversion to the point that our services are conducted in like manner to those at Platina. I hope to purchase an icon of him soon. Does anyone know how far along his "canonization process" is (I apologize that I have forgotten if this is the proper term) in the Synod?

In Christ,
Andrew

Subdeacon Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 06:17:49 PM »

Does anyone know how far along his "canonization process" is (I apologize that I have forgotten if this is the proper term) in the Synod?

I asked Archbishop Kyrill about this when he visited the UK a couple of years ago and he was interested in my devotion to him but there seemed to be little about canonisation.  I asked the same of Metropolitan Hilarion when he visited last year and was told that there had been no official discussion of it.  I know nothing of what may have happened in the meanwhile.  I also do not know how it would all work given ROCOR's relationship with the patriarchal Russian church.  Perhaps the Holy Synod would be responsible all of the decisions and, if he were to be canonised, it may perhaps happen in Christ the Saviour rather than Holy Virgin. Who knows?

M
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:18:07 PM by Subdeacon Michael » Logged

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: