OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:24:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Language  (Read 767 times) Average Rating: 0
EmptyBe

Faith: Converting to Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: May 20, 2010, 08:30:41 PM »

I feel that Church shouldn't just be another thing to do, but something set apart. Orthodox Christians do this in a special way by making it very clear that you are walking into a holy place (incense, icons, etc.). I feel everything should be special instead of ordinary to separate church going from everyday life (special smells, sights, tastes, feelings, sounds, etc.). Which brings me to the point of language. I feel to use your native tongue is making that part of church going ordinary. Would it not be better to use another tongue that is used only for church? Is there any scriptures/fathers that say something similar/different?

I hope that this made sense. My mind is kind of scrambled right now.  laugh
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:31:58 PM by EmptyBe » Logged

ICXC NIKA,
Matthew
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »

This weekend's feast of Pentecost has quite a bit to say about languages used in worship. The "tongues" in which the Apostles were suddenly able to speak after the Holy Spirit had descended upon them were the languages of the world:

And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.” 12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”
EmptyBe

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 08:55:22 PM »

I am saying tongues purely as a synonym for language. I am not talking about any pentecostal mumbo jumbo.

ICXC NIKA,
Matthew
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »

It all started with those innovators that used Aramaic instead of Hebrew. And did Paul and Peter change things? Noooo. They just let people use Greek if that's what they understood. Next thing you knew, the Gospel was being preached in a hundred different languages. How terrible!  Wink

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
EmptyBe

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »

All I'm asking is, shouldn't the language we speak be just as special as the smells and sights we see when we walk into an Orthodox church? Sometimes I feel rome had it right with the Latin only thing. Think about the whole world saying the liturgy in that one tongue. It has got to be powerful!

ICXC NIKA,
Matthew
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »

All I'm asking is, shouldn't the language we speak be just as special as the smells and sights we see when we walk into an Orthodox church? Sometimes I feel rome had it right with the Latin only thing. Think about the whole world saying the liturgy in that one tongue. It has got to be powerful!

No, this goes right against scripture (which I've quoted), and Church tradition. The idea of a "sacred language" is not part of traditional Orthodox thought, no matter what some might say and believe. As for the modern pentecostalist "speaking in tongues" phenomenon, this refers to the incoherent babbling which was referred to in Corinthians. Nothing to do with the speaking of coherent languages, which was one of the gifts given to the Apostles at Pentecost.
EmptyBe

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 09:24:59 PM »

No, this goes right against scripture (which I've quoted), and Church tradition. The idea of a "sacred language" is not part of traditional Orthodox thought, no matter what some might say and believe. As for the modern pentecostalist "speaking in tongues" phenomenon, this refers to the incoherent babbling which was referred to in Corinthians. Nothing to do with the speaking of coherent languages, which was one of the gifts given to the Apostles at Pentecost.

I'm well aware of all this. I'm not saying a "sacred language". I'm saying just a different language than your everyday speech. To make it special. To make it your own personal church-only tongue.

ICXC NIKA,
Matthew
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »

I'm well aware of all this. I'm not saying a "sacred language". I'm saying just a different language than your everyday speech. To make it special. To make it your own personal church-only tongue.

Elizabethan English works.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: