OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 11:19:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Orthodox Church and capital punishment  (Read 2244 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: May 18, 2010, 08:27:23 PM »

Can anyone confirm whether or not this teaching is reflective of the COC in general?:

http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=32&catid=61

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »

In general, I don't know.  I know this is an acceptable view though, just as the rejection of capital punishment is also an acceptable view.  This particular bishop happens to support it.  I've met many Copts (I personally haven't met a bishop though) who are against it.

If anything, I believe HG Bishop Youssef's view might also be a patristic one as well, but I'm not all too sure about that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:36:13 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »

Is there no generally accepted view, particularly among the bishops?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »

Is there no generally accepted view, particularly among the bishops?

To be honest, I don't know.  I don't expect there be a generally accepted view, as neither view is considered wrong by the Church.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:19 AM »

It is my fundamentalist roots that have largely directed me to oppose capital punishment. I know this will seem ironic as apparently the majority of fundamentalist Protestants support CP. My reason is thus: I believe the world is divided among two groups, the saved and the lost. A penitent and truly remorseful murderer (a sheep) will never kill again and should receive some leniency (in the form of a long prison sentence). Meanwhile a murderer with no remorse whatsoever will surely stand before an angry God at judgment. I for one do not want to 'force God's hand' as it were, but allow the condemned the full time that God has allotted for him or her to see the wickedness of their ways.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 08:27:52 AM »

There is a very interesting series of podcasts on this topic on ancient faith radio. It doesn't convince me one way or the other but is interesting and explores the patristics.

Generally I see no reason why bishops should agree on many things. I think that you often demand uniformity where it is not required at all.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »

I never indicated that I in any way required uniformity in this matter.

Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church capital punishment 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: