OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 02:13:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ephraim Question  (Read 1720 times) Average Rating: 0
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« on: January 22, 2004, 01:10:14 PM »

I was looking around www.pokrov.org the other night and saw this page on Elder Ephraim's monasteries. I have heard many positive things on this forum about some of the these monasteries. I just wanted to know what you think of some of the things posted here: http://www.pokrov.org/controversial/ephraim.html

Frobie
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 01:31:40 PM »

I'd take almost everything you read from that site with a salt lick.  I've met her before (Greta) and she's a nice, thoughtful girl (beautiful too), but also too much of a reactionary to some bad past experiences to her family.  She seems to have a vendeta against many groups.

Edited to add more:
A question I have about the GoA monasteries.  Are all GoA monasteries Ephraimite or just the "16"?  It seems that, at the very least, funds need to be reallocated/donated/diverted away from the "palaces" and more towards the needy monasteries or perhaps to parishes, OCMC, IOCC, etc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 02:42:10 PM by Elisha » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 10:47:13 PM »

The stuff on that webpage is garbage.  

I go to Saint Anthony's fairly frequently and have stayed there for a week's duration numerous times.....so I am pretty familiar with this subject.  They are very open to the public who can stay and visit Saint Anthony's.  These allagations come from people who are enemies of monasticism in general, so how credible could they be?  IF there is a particular one you wish to discuss post that so the topic isn't so broad.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 03:50:43 PM »

Yeah, I figured it was too broad, but didn't really have time to pick anything out. I trust what you say, Nektarios, and I'm not trying to start a fight, but was genuinely curious as what you and others thought about it. That said, what do you think of this story about an 18-year-old who entered St. Anthony's: http://www.rickross.com/reference/ephraim/ephraim8.html

Frobie
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 04:21:26 PM »

lol, what?!
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 04:38:29 PM »

The 18-year old whose parents were linked to above has an interview at: http://www.athosinamerica.org/ in which he responds to his parents' allegations.
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 04:56:52 PM »

This "boy" sounds grounded to me... I'd look depressed too, if my parents came to talk me out of monasticism from a position of what seems to be largely self-serving bias and ignorance.

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 05:04:48 PM »

Thanks for posting that! I think it answers a lot my questions...
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 08:46:51 PM »

Yes, the stuff on that webpage is indeed garbage.

Metropolitan Anthony of San Francisco wouldn't tolerate these monasteries in his diocese (let alone build and enthusiasticaly support them) if there was anything questionable about them or Father Ephraim.

Michael

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Tags: Elder Ephraim Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: