OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 12:58:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New  (Read 687 times) Average Rating: 0
EmptyBe

Faith: Converting to Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

New
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:20:07 PM »

Hello!

My name is Matthew. I am 21 years old and interested in becoming Orthodox. I have been studying various religions since I was 16 and up until then I was protestant. I left protestantism after trying to debunk the Roman Catholic church and finding it had more history and a more logical look at Christ and His church. So I started attending mass and felt a lot more spiritual in this environment. But soon after, I started really studying the RCC, and found things that I don't quite believe in, such as, their beliefs on the Pope, marriage/divorce, and their overall judgmental attitude. I felt, every time, when I didn't partake in the Eucharist, the whole community looked down on me. That's not the kind of church I want to be apart of. And it wasn't just one church, but multiple RCCs. So needless to say I decided not to get baptized into the Roman Catholic Church. Feeling discouraged, wanting an historical and apostolic church I heard about Eastern Orthodoxy. The first time I went into an Orthodox church it was as if I was home. Icons covering the walls, Jesus on the Ceiling, Incense in the air, it was all amazing. I sat through the liturgy feeling as if Heaven and earth had merged and I was worshiping with the saints and angels of Heaven. Before I got baptized into the Eastern Orthodox Church I went to college...

I was valedictorian of my high school class and still not smart enough to not get mixed up with the wrong crowd. I stopped going to church, got into drugs, and lost my free ride (scholarship) through college. During this time I also started studying the occult. I started to perform ritual magick, such as Enochian and Thelemic magick. I started studying Buddhism and divination forms such as runes and tarot. In the past few years I've also studied the Qabalah, Gnosticism, Mythology, etc. during my search for the truth, not realizing I had already seen it with the Orthodox Church. I started saying the Jesus Prayer the other day and it just came back naturally. I haven't stopped praying it since. I miss the church and I realize how much I have sinned these past few years. It makes me sick to think of how blasphemous and sinful I have been. I want to be baptized in the Orthodox Church and sealed with the Holy Spirit. I want to eat and drink the body and blood of Christ with a clean conscious and a heart full of joy and love for our savior.

Last October I moved to Utah for my fiance, who is Roman Catholic, and her 2 children. I love them very much. She supports me fully in becoming Orthodox.

I am soon going to go to a local church whose priest I have already had discussions with.

Please pray for me on my journey.

ICXC NIKA,
Matthew

ICXC NIKA,
Matthew
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »

Lord, have mercy and guide you on your journey home.

Welcome to the forum!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Young Spirit
Micheal, called "Mikey"

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Church of the Nazarene

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »

You're in my prayers. God Bless You!

I hope you find this community just as useful as I have.

My hope is the Father, my refuge is the Son, my shelter is the Holy Spirit, O Holy Trinity, Glory to You.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Matthew! You are in my unworthy prayer.

Love never fails.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 07:19:27 AM »

Welcome.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »

WELCOME TO THE CONVERT ISSUES FORUM.

THOMAS

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »

Welcome Matthew!

I hope that you will find the Convert Issues forum to be place where you as an inquirer may ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum.  We try to provide an understanding of the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. WE try to keep our answers direct and simple with sources if possible,

For those who are converts, this forum is a safe place to discuss issues that arise after one converts in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. WE try to avoid jurisdiction debates and you may find a the topic that will be split and sent the appropriate OC.Net forum to continue the discussion or debate if it strays from the guidelines of our Forum Purpose.

Again I want to welcome you warmly to the Convert Issues Forum and hope you will enjoy your time as a member here.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:31:37 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
PresterJohn

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:47:19 PM »

Welcome aboard, Matthew.

If it helps, try this: http://journeytoorthodoxy.com.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: