OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:50:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the Psalms of David  (Read 971 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: January 21, 2004, 05:31:47 PM »

Being that St. David the Prophet King is my patron, I have always been very attached to the Psalms.  I currently have "Grace for Grace: The Psalter and the Holy Fathers" ed. Johanna Manley, Reflections on the Psalms by C.S. Lewis, and Christ in the Psalms by Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon.

I want to get St. Augustine on the Psalms Vol 1&2, The Abbreviated Psalter of the Venerable Bede, St. John Chrysostom: Commentary on the Psalms , and The Psalms Through Three Thousand Years: Prayerbook of a Cloud of Witnesses by William L. Holliday.

My plan is to have all good materials at hand and go through the psalter, praying and meditating on each one as I attempt to commit it to memory.  I am still not decided on a translation, however.  The HTM Psalter is good, but I am so used to hearing the RSV psalms in church that I may decide to commit those to memory.  If there are any other good materials out there, please let me know.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
carpo-rusyn
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 06:30:16 PM »

Pengiun Classics has a book entitled "The Psalms" which I don't think contains the whole Psalter.  It gives the different translations into English of some of the Psalms by great literay figures like Pope, Dryden, et al.

Carpo-Rusyn
Raouf

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 06:39:50 PM »

David,

What do recommend for a good detailed study of the psalms that covers both the literal/historical meanings and then the allegorical/spiritual meanings?  I find that the writings of the Fathers are very good for the latter but I also struggle understanding the literal/historical aspects of the psalms.

Thanks.

In Christ,
Raouf

Flog your enemies with the Name of Jesus and let the remembrance of Jesus be present with each breath. - St. John Climacus
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 12:04:16 PM »

Raouf,

To tell you the truth, all of the sources I have listed are primarily for the allegorical/Christological meanings.  I would like to find a more historical text as well, but as the Psalms are poetry, there may not be a particular historical context for each one.  I'd like to investigate this matter further, so if you find anything let me know.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: