OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 04:11:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you convert and be Chrismated on your death bed?  (Read 2447 times) Average Rating: 0
David Lanier

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South - OCA

« on: May 14, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »

Here's the scenario:

An elderly woman is in a nursing home for long term care, she is still cognoscente but her cognitive abilities aren't what they used to be, so conversations are typically brief and simple. She cannot walk and cannot sit up in a wheelchair for terribly long periods of time because of poor bone density and severe osteoporosis so it would be almost impossible for her to be able to endure the Liturgy on Sundays, but on a good day might be able to endure Vespers if the incense isn't too strong because she has end stage COPD.

She was raised Methodist mostly but was never a regular attendee even though she believes in God. Her son is a convert to Orthodoxy and she's been to a couple of Orthodox services in the past when she still had their health even though she was raised Protestant.

Now that she is approaching the end of her life, she has expressed a desire to have her son's priest come and pray with her and for her and has expressed some interest in converting and becoming Orthodox.

Can she be Chrismated? What kind of catechism would be appropriate for someone with limited cognitive capacities?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:46:20 PM by David Lanier » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:49:55 PM »

Here's the scenario:

An elderly woman is in a nursing home for long term care, she is still cognoscente but her cognitive abilities aren't what they used to be, so conversations are typically brief and simple. She cannot walk and cannot sit up in a wheelchair for terribly long periods of time because of poor bone density and severe osteoporosis so it would be almost impossible for her to be able to endure the Liturgy on Sundays, but on a good day might be able to endure Vespers if the incense isn't too strong because she has end stage COPD.

She was raised Methodist mostly but was never a regular attendee even though she believes in God. Her son is a convert to Orthodoxy and she's been to a couple of Orthodox services in the past when she still had their health even though she was raised Protestant.

Now that she is approaching the end of her life, she has expressed a desire to have her son's priest come and pray with her and for her and has expressed some interest in converting and becoming Orthodox.

Can she be Chrismated? What kind of catechism would be appropriate for someone with limited cognitive capacities?
Of course she can be chrismated.  I would think the priest would know what was appropriate.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
David Lanier

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »

The priest of my parish has indicated that he isn't quite sure how to proceed in this case. Any advice?
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »

The priest of my parish has indicated that he isn't quite sure how to proceed in this case. Any advice?
No bishop?

If you asked me (and you did), he should go over the points that a Methodist are required to renounce in the rite of reception.  We can assume that the Church believes those are the important points.  Once she answers to his satisfaction, he can give some general instruction on the elements on the Creed, and once that's done, chrismate her.

Part of the Faith is letting God fill in the blank spaces we cannot.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »

Now one of the criminals hanging there reviled Jesus, saying, "Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us." The other, however, rebuking him, said in reply, "Have you no fear of God, for you are subject to the same condemnation? And indeed, we have been condemned justly, for the sentence we received corresponds to our crimes, but this man has done nothing criminal." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." He replied to him, "Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."
source

Among the confessors, one yielded and, leaving his companions, sought the warm baths near the lake which had been prepared for any who might prove inconstant. One of the guards set to keep watch over the martyrs beheld a supernatural brilliancy overshadowing them and at once proclaimed himself a Christian, threw off his garments, and placed himself beside the thirty-nine soldiers of Christ. Thus the number of forty remained complete.
source

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
David Lanier

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:46:24 AM »

No bishop?

If you asked me (and you did), he should go over the points that a Methodist are required to renounce in the rite of reception.  We can assume that the Church believes those are the important points.  Once she answers to his satisfaction, he can give some general instruction on the elements on the Creed, and once that's done, chrismate her.

Actually no we are currently without a bishop but the Metropolitan is bishop pro-tem for our diocese until a new bishop can be elected.

Seeing how she wasn't really ever a regular church goer and her mind just isn't as strong as it used to be, I'm not sure if she would even know what the Methodist rite of reception is exactly. I'm sure we'll figure out what to do though and if she really does want to convert then God willing, it will happen.
David Lanier

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

Now one of the criminals hanging there reviled Jesus, saying, "Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us." The other, however, rebuking him, said in reply, "Have you no fear of God, for you are subject to the same condemnation? And indeed, we have been condemned justly, for the sentence we received corresponds to our crimes, but this man has done nothing criminal." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." He replied to him, "Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."
source

Among the confessors, one yielded and, leaving his companions, sought the warm baths near the lake which had been prepared for any who might prove inconstant. One of the guards set to keep watch over the martyrs beheld a supernatural brilliancy overshadowing them and at once proclaimed himself a Christian, threw off his garments, and placed himself beside the thirty-nine soldiers of Christ. Thus the number of forty remained complete.
source

Good points.  Smiley
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 11:30:15 PM »

My mother had Alzhiemer's disease. Several weeks before her death, she was chrismated Orthodox---during therecitation of the creed she became lucid and alert. Through out the chrismation, she answered all questions herself without prompting and remained so for three hours afterwards. She went to bed and awoke back to her dementia. MY priest said we had seen the Holy Spirit at work and we knew my mother's true wish to become Orthodox. She reposed the Saturday after her third communion.

THOMAS

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 03:24:49 AM »

No bishop?

Actually no we are currently without a bishop but the Metropolitan is bishop pro-tem for our diocese until a new bishop can be elected.

Seeing how she wasn't really ever a regular church goer and her mind just isn't as strong as it used to be, I'm not sure if she would even know what the Methodist rite of reception is exactly. I'm sure we'll figure out what to do though and if she really does want to convert then God willing, it will happen.

I've been told by an OCA priest in Atlanta who is part of the pro-tem, that they have been directed to consult His Eminence, +Met. ALEXIOS of the GOA for "small" matters, and should go up to +Met. JONAH for "big" matters.

I'm sure His Eminence would be happy to provide guidance that for something like this, as it isn't something that would affect the jurisdiction.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 06:38:02 AM »

No bishop?

Just to make clear, I was talking about the Orthodox rite of receiving Methodists, not the Methodists receiving anyone.
http://books.google.com/books?id=hVIXAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA603&dq=Hapgood+rite+of+reception+Confession&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 02:28:51 PM »

My mother had Alzhiemer's disease. Several weeks before her death, she was chrismated Orthodox---during therecitation of the creed she became lucid and alert. Through out the chrismation, she answered all questions herself without prompting and remained so for three hours afterwards. She went to bed and awoke back to her dementia. MY priest said we had seen the Holy Spirit at work and we knew my mother's true wish to become Orthodox. She reposed the Saturday after her third communion.

THOMAS

+Memory Eternal!

Wonderful, wonderful story, Brother Thomas.  Thank you for sharing this with us!!  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
David Carroll

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

Holy Ephraim, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 03:03:35 PM »

What if you're not on a death bed, but on a death taxi going 70 miles per deadly hour down death Avenue in New York Death City in the dead of winter?

Pray that God would deliver me from hatred and pride.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 11:41:04 PM »

I would imagine yes. Just as the thief who confessed Christ: "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43)
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 09:14:51 AM »

Wasn't there a period in Church history (I want to say around St Augustine's time) where it was pretty standard to be baptized on your deathbed? There was a scrupulous concern about tarnishing one's baptism with sin.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:15:36 AM by bogdan » Logged
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 09:20:34 AM »

What if you're not on a death bed, but on a death taxi going 70 miles per deadly hour down death Avenue in New York Death City in the dead of winter?
Now you are just being a scholastic. Stop it.

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 10:15:15 AM »

Anyone want to share the story of how Constantinople had Orthodoxy decreed as its official religion?

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
David Lanier

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »

With the blessing of his Beatitude, Metropolitan Jonah, my mother was Chrismated this past Sunday in the hospital. She had been unconscious and unresponsive, but awoke to receive Holy Communion and stayed awake for some time thereafter. Again she became unconscious and unresponsive, but again awoke to receive Holy Communion again yesterday. She fell asleep in the Lord today.

Grant repose O Lord to the soul of your servant Jeanette (Chrismated name - Anna), and grant her memory to be Eternal.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »

God grant her rest with the saints and forgiveness of sins!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »

Memory eternal!
Thankful
Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »

May Anna's Memory eternal!! Thank you for telling your story here. 

nrse

Faith: Russian Orthodox

Act justly. Love tenderly. Walk humbly with God.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »

being a hospice nurse for 15 years- i am usually the teller of such a happening....i thank you so much for sharing this with us...i am blessed and encouraged...
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »

May her memory be eternal!

I am happy that you too have seen the power of the Holy Spirit in your mother's entry into the Church and entry into the saints of heaven.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 10:15:24 AM »

Lord have mercy on your handmaiden!  Memory eternal!

And thanks for sharing this story!
David Lanier

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 11:29:26 AM »

Now that I've had a little time to grieve, I want to share a bit more of the story:
http://www.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?7282-Miracles-of-healing
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: