Poll

What language(s) can you speak/write in (does not need to be fluent)?

English
173 (31.9%)
Greek
48 (8.9%)
A Slavic Language
49 (9%)
Romanian
11 (2%)
Spanish/Spanish Derivitive
50 (9.2%)
Romance (Italian, French, etc)
59 (10.9%)
German/Germanic
44 (8.1%)
Swahili/African
4 (0.7%)
Arabic
22 (4.1%)
Coptic
7 (1.3%)
Klingon/Binary/Other Artificial Language
19 (3.5%)
Not listed.  Boo!
56 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Author Topic: What languages do we speak on OC.net?  (Read 77316 times)

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
Re: What languages do we speak on OC.net?
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2015, 04:10:22 AM »
I speak fluently only in Japanese.
I have been taking English course since last month.
My target is to be able make arguments and good discussions in this forum especially with  Peter the Aleut and Sam G.  ;)
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-

Offline Tommelomsky

• High Elder
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
Norwegian (my native tongue) and english fluently.
I can speak and being understood in danish and swedish too. I understand both languages perfectly
(it is amazing what TV can do for kids).

Hope to learn russian and church slavonic (if God wills it).
I will not be posting or participating here anymore.
They claim this is an Orthodox Christian forum.
Well, it is not!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »
Native Portuguese, very fluent English and Spanish. I can read and write German and French fluently, but my hearing is average and my speaking isn't that great. I've learned Greek, Galician, Latin and Esperanto to variable degrees and have gapped yet useful skills on all of them. I'm currently trying to get formal education in Spanish without having to go through unnecessarily expensive courses and to improve my German and Greek.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline MariaJLM

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2017, 02:20:14 PM »
I can speak English. Boring, I know, lol. However, I can read about five others: German, Italian, Romanian, Ukrainian, and Russian. Out of the five German is probably the one I'm most comfortable with, followed by Ukrainian as it's common in my parish(we do bilingual services). I'm a singer in my parish too so that helps me pick up the language and how it sounds.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: What languages does OC.net speak?
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »
Serbian (the closest language to my heart) and of course Croatian, Bosnian etc. ;)
Polish (this one I'm most fluent in)
English
Spanish (bilingual section in High School)
Some Ukrainian
I understand quite well Russian, but unfortunately I don't speak it (I hope one day...)

I would love to study Arabic (I know writting and reading, some basic grammar and words) at the Warsaw University.
Now I'm learning Church Slavonic.
I used to study Hindi and German, but as for the first one, I know only how to read and write it and very basic things, as for the second one - I remember only a few sentences.

An update after 5 years:
I'm finishing the last (5th) year of Arabic studies at university, so I know MSA + some basics of Egyptian dialect;
I know some Farsi (Persian) - I was studying it for 2 years, but I need some practice and it's impossible here in Poland;
I can read Greek koine and Latin and understand something:
for 3 months I've been learning Romanian.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
I know some Farsi (Persian) - I was studying it for 2 years, but I need some practice and it's impossible here in Poland;
Have you ever looked into language exchange websites like italki or My Language Exchange? Livemocha was the thing when I first tried to learn languages by myself, but I think it's paid now.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2017, 03:14:39 PM »
Have you ever looked into language exchange websites like italki or My Language Exchange? Livemocha was the thing when I first tried to learn languages by myself, but I think it's paid now.

No, but mabye I should :) ; anyway, practice means also talking and it's something different via computer or phone (frankly speaking, I don't have and even don't with to have computer camera, and I hate speaking via phone in every language :P) than in person.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »
Yeah, it's not the same as learning Arabic in France, Spanish in Brazil or any language in New York (language learner's paradise), but to me it helps a lot. I hate talking on the phone, but I've found it necessary to hit Skype sometimes to improve skills.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:24:08 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2017, 04:18:43 PM »
I was born speaking Arabic,  but that's almost all gone.   English is my home language.   I can speak very bad Arabic and French,  it would probably take me a good year of practice in each to get anywhere near where I was.   The sane is true with classic Greek.

At my height in Arabic I was probably as good at speaking it as a slow witted 5 year old (I've never been able to read Arabic).  My French was probably as good as an eight year old (I can still read French to a degree, and I'll still read an English and French text side by side of something was originally in French), and in muy prime I could comfortably slow  read large sections of Koine Greek and Classic Greek (Again,  on occasion I'll use the Greek text next to the English if I can, but my skills aren't as good as my French).   Again,  my comprehending  these languages are mostly gone now and would take practice. Use it or loose it,  and within the past decade my need for use in any of it has sadly diminished.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:24:17 PM by William T »

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2017, 05:34:11 PM »
Speak?  English, more or less.   :angel:  I could probably still read a little Spanish, but trying to speak it anymore would probably be offensive.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.