Author Topic: Nektarios of Aegina's O Pure Virgin  (Read 300 times)

Offline scamandrius

• Pray for our next president
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Nektarios of Aegina's O Pure Virgin
« on: November 06, 2016, 11:25:30 PM »
Recently, one of my fellow chanters wanted to chant "O Pure Virgin" during the communion of the faithful at Liturgy.  As I was protos for the day, I nixed this because it is simply not a communion hymn.  NOw, I know some parishes do chant this hymn during the communion of the faithful, but that's hardly justification for my church to do likewise.  But it does raise the question as to when this hymn could be sung. I know it's a "para-liturgical" hymn and really has no suitable place in a liturgy.  I know it's a favorite among many Orthodox, but that, too does not justify its use.  So, where have other parishes used it?  Or is it just a spiritual song that people can sing outside of the church?

Offline Gordon Ramsay

• Tis Theos Megas
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: Nektarios of Aegina's O Pure Virgin
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 03:06:08 AM »
I've heard it chanted after service such as Paraklesis, services during Holy Week and the Akathist Hymn I believe.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 03:51:14 AM »
Here (but rather not at my parish) sometimes it's chanted during the communion of the clergy. And it is chanted during the walk at the foot pilgrimages.

I've heard it chanted after service such as Paraklesis, services during Holy Week and the Akathist Hymn I believe.

Holy Week?! When tehre are plenty of hymns and they focus on Christ, His teaching and His passion?
As for Paraklesis and Akathist I think it's OK.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Archon
  • St. Arsenios of "Saint-Producing" Cappadocia
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:40:06 AM »
I use it during the Dormition fast after services, such as when people are venerating post-Paraklesis or getting antidoron post-Liturgy. On the Dormition itself, I may even use it during the communing of the people, but as you noted that is a debated topic.
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:41:39 AM »
I stand with those who avoid its use at any point during a liturgical service. We do like to sing it post-Liturgy on feasts of the Theotokos. We also sang it following a paraclesis service held when we were visited by the Kursk Root Icon a few months ago. It's also appropriate after services (and possibly before?) during the Dormition Fast.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:58:57 AM »
Recently, one of my fellow chanters wanted to chant "O Pure Virgin" during the communion of the faithful at Liturgy.  As I was protos for the day, I nixed this because it is simply not a communion hymn.  NOw, I know some parishes do chant this hymn during the communion of the faithful, but that's hardly justification for my church to do likewise.  But it does raise the question as to when this hymn could be sung. I know it's a "para-liturgical" hymn and really has no suitable place in a liturgy.  I know it's a favorite among many Orthodox, but that, too does not justify its use.  So, where have other parishes used it?  Or is it just a spiritual song that people can sing outside of the church?

Yes, during dismissal/cross veneration.

(But you don't have to be such a mean hater and deny the singer the opportunity to sing a favorite.   ;) )
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:01:45 PM by Elisha »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »
After the service is a good time.  We have communion hymns that are meaningful for their specific feastdays - it would be better (if one is looking to "fill time") to sing the entire psalms from which the hymns emanate rather than singing paraliturgical hymns (of which there are many; O Pure Virgin is only the most notable one in use right now).
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."" Isaac Asimov

Offline Elpidophoros

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 12:21:43 AM »
What is the essential difference between a "para-liturgical" and a liturgical hymn?Those verses inserted into the Λόγον αγαθόν and αγνή παρθένε are very similar,what makes the former "liturgical"?

Offline scamandrius

• Pray for our next president
  • Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
What is the essential difference between a "para-liturgical" and a liturgical hymn?Those verses inserted into the Λόγον αγαθόν and αγνή παρθένε are very similar,what makes the former "liturgical"?

Psalm 44 and its corresponding Eclogarion are actually prescribed in the typikon for feasts of the MOther of God.  There is no prescription for Agne Parthene.