OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 04:14:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redemptive Suffering  (Read 8260 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »

I am trying to understand what you are asking.

First, could you tell me exactly what it means for suffering to be redemptive?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2010, 04:27:16 AM »

Gebre,

Do you see a justification for, say, self-flagellation in those verses? What types of self-imposed suffering are you advocating, exactly?

Fasting and praying, prostrations, fidelity in marriage, celibacy before marriage, abstinence from destructive physical pleasures, sacrificially giving alms, allowing ourselves to be injured rather than causing injury, allowing oursleves to be killed rather than to kill, etc...

I cannot really speak to self-flagellation, for this is very subjective and can be defined numerous ways. But off the top of my head I would surmise that bringing inentional pain to one's self for the purpose of subduing the passions is not an unhealthy thing, but to cause intentional injury to one's self is not a godly endeavor. For example, when we excercise we bring intentional pain to our body; but this pain is not injurious, but healthy.

Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and thus we must not defile them- either with sinful pleasures or masochistic torments. St. Paul said, "I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified." [I Corinthians 9:27]

But I think that the authentic Christian life in general is essentially a life of sef-imposed suffering. I imagine that every Orthodox poster on this forum has or is suffering in some way. Our Lord told us that if we are to come after Him, we must "deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow Him." [St. Luke 9:23]

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2010, 07:05:38 PM »

But off the top of my head I would surmise that bringing inentional pain to one's self for the purpose of subduing the passions is not an unhealthy thing, but to cause intentional injury to one's self is not a godly endeavor.

That sounds agreeable.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2010, 01:07:56 AM »

"A man who, instead of avoiding and running away from sufferings of the heart produced by fear of eternal torment, willingly accepts them in his heart...will be determined, as he progresses, to tighten this bond ever more and more, and will thus advance more quickly. It will lead him to the presence of the King of kings. When this comes to pass, then, as soon as he sees, however dimly, the glory of God, his bonds - fear - will at once fall off, his executioner will hasten away and his heart's grief will turn into joy which will become in him a fountain of life or a spring for ever gushing forth: physically - rivers of tears; spiritually - peace, meekness and unspeakable delight, together with courage and free and unhindered readiness to strive towards every fulfillment of God's commandments."

St. Simeon the New Theologian.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: