OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:46:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buddy Christ  (Read 5181 times) Average Rating: 0
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« on: May 12, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »

Last Saturday I had an hour to talk one on one with my priest after that we went to the bookstore to help me set up an icon corner/table.  We got the basics, candle, incense, prayerbook.  We also have three icons theotokos, jesus and a large Saint Nicolas that my wife got at the Russian Orthodox Church.

After I got home I found my old Buddy Christ (from the Kevin Smith movie "Dogma").  It is a small statue with Jesus smiling and giving a big thumbs up.  Is that kind of image acceptable for an icon corner?  Or is their a good posibility that my priest might declare it blasphomy when I ask him to bless it for my icon corner?

Mathe 24:36
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »

If he has a sense of humor he'll probably laugh and gently let you know that that might not be the best place for it... I would think so anyway...  Cheesy
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »

It is NOT an acceptable image.  Don't use it.  The Buddy Christ was invented and intended as a blasphemy and has no place with your corner dedicated to your prayer life.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:40:06 PM »

Last Saturday I had an hour to talk one on one with my priest after that we went to the bookstore to help me set up an icon corner/table.  We got the basics, candle, incense, prayerbook.  We also have three icons theotokos, jesus and a large Saint Nicolas that my wife got at the Russian Orthodox Church.

After I got home I found my old Buddy Christ (from the Kevin Smith movie "Dogma").  It is a small statue with Jesus smiling and giving a big thumbs up.  Is that kind of image acceptable for an icon corner?  Or is their a good posibility that my priest might declare it blasphomy when I ask him to bless it for my icon corner?

I think if you first study a little of the theology behind icons, you'll probably have your answer.  Which means the ridiculous 'Buddy Christ' will end up in the trash can/dust bin.   Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:58:12 PM »

It is NOT an acceptable image.  Don't use it.  The Buddy Christ was invented and intended as a blasphemy and has no place with your corner dedicated to your prayer life.

I think if you first study a little of the theology behind icons, you'll probably have your answer.  Which means the ridiculous 'Buddy Christ' will end up in the trash can/dust bin.   Smiley

So I take it that neither of you have a bobble-head Jesus in your icon corner?  angel

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:14:29 PM »

I only have 2D icons...

But 3D gives you a whole other DIMENSION!!!  Tongue

In all seriousness, no, buddy Jesus is not acceptable in your icon corner if you take your faith seriously, however, if your priest does have a sense of humor you could ask in jest.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:22:31 PM »

Actually, the Buddy Christ was invented more as a critique of the modern Roman Catholic Church and her attempts to be "relevant".  Now, Alanis Morisette playing God, THAT was blasphemy.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 03:35:34 PM »

I might be 100% wrong, but didn't one of the councils of the church rule that 2D things like icons are fine, but 3D objects are idols? Has anyone else heard of that?
Russell

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:38:24 PM »

There are plenty of items depicting Jesus in 3D in our bookstore. Most of them being crusifictions on the cross.

If buddy christ was not made for the movie Dogma would it still be blasphomy in a place besides my icon table?

LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »

I might be 100% wrong, but didn't one of the councils of the church rule that 2D things like icons are fine, but 3D objects are idols? Has anyone else heard of that?

Yes. It was the Seventh Ecumenical Council of 787. Even if there were no outright canonical prohibition of 3-D images for veneration, the fact remains that a "buddy Jesus" giving a thumbs-up kinda goes against how we Orthodox regard any saint, or any of the persons of the Holy Trinity. Schmaltz and kitsch should never be a part of it.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:54:59 PM by LBK » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »

Plus if it has a sacred heart, iner-body part exposed, like in the movie,that alone is a no no.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Russell

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 12:05:09 AM »

Plus if it has a sacred heart, iner-body part exposed, like in the movie,that alone is a no no.... Grin

I guess I still like the idea of having a little statue of christ smiling.  The thumbs up is a bonus.  I thought the sacred heart was some kind of fancy clip holding his clothes together. 

I know I will toss it now but I need a little more time ...

I will start looking for one like  Asteriktos  has. If jesus can't smile at least he could bobble his head in approval.

Cosmos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

أيها الرب يسوع المسيح ابن الله, إرحمني أنا الخاطئ

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 02:08:09 AM »

Yes. It was the Seventh Ecumenical Council of 787. Even if there were no outright canonical prohibition of 3-D images for veneration, the fact remains that a "buddy Jesus" giving a thumbs-up kinda goes against how we Orthodox regard any saint, or any of the persons of the Holy Trinity. Schmaltz and kitsch should never be a part of it.  Wink

Agreed on the whole that 'Buddy Christ' statues are not the most appropriate depictions of the Savior and thus probably unsuitable for home prayer shrine use. Nonetheless, they do draw attention to remembrance of Jesus in a positive and fun way, IMO. My favorite rendition is one of 'Buddy Christ' flashing a big smile while holding a cell phone to His ear with the left hand, instead of presenting a thumb up gesture, and simultaneously pointing to someone with the index finger of His right hand.  laugh

It made me laugh to think of Our Lord displaying the same sort of ordinary human physical expressions that I know are used by so many people almost everywhere nowadays. Perhaps such depictions of Jesus will cause some individuals to retain thoughts of Him in their mind in a way that a religious icon or other religious rendition would not. I know that this image stuck in my mind, and always makes me smile when I think of it.  Grin

Who knows? Divine Providence often manifests in unexpected and mysterious ways.  Wink

Cosmos

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, ἐλέησόν με!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 02:30:14 AM »

I guess I still like the idea of having a little statue of christ smiling.  The thumbs up is a bonus.  I thought the sacred heart was some kind of fancy clip holding his clothes together. 

I know I will toss it now but I need a little more time ...

I will start looking for one like  Asteriktos  has. If jesus can't smile at least he could bobble his head in approval.

Um, I think he was joking.  Smiley A bobble-head would be just as irreverent.

I would suggest you read Pavel Florensky's Iconostasis to have a better understanding of Iconography. Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
KFLINT

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »

How exactly is it blasphemy? other then the sense that ALL idols/engraven images are. Need Christ always be bathed in blood? Is there no room for a modern image?
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 05:16:56 PM »

Need Christ always be bathed in blood?

Most traditional depictions of Christ do not in fact show him suffering or covered in blood. The one icon of the Crucifixion in the parishes I know is vastly outnumbered by icons of Christ the Teacher or Christ the Pantocrator.

Is there no room for a modern image?

No. Iconography is about maintaining traditions, not creating something new. The Orthodox Church is even starting to replace iconostases from the 19th century that were overly influenced by Roman Catholic art.
KFLINT

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »

Most traditional depictions of Christ do not in fact show him suffering or covered in blood. The one icon of the Crucifixion in the parishes I know is vastly outnumbered by icons of Christ the Teacher or Christ the Pantocrator.

No. Iconography is about maintaining traditions, not creating something new. The Orthodox Church is even starting to replace iconostases {iconostasis} from the 19th century that were overly influenced by Roman Catholic art.

How nice. However since the Church is declining in numbers who will be left in 50 years to witness?  The times, they are a changing and the Vatican sees this and is not only changing but taking steps to be seen as more modern everyday. 

The adage "that's how it has always been" is never a good stance in a debate.  Now the below image might be a bit overboard but is hardly blasphemy.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »

I agree that the image is essentially blasphemous, and has no place in an icon corner, etc.; however, in my opinion, one should not simply toss an image of Jesus Christ into the trash. I wouldn't want this image around, but I would burn it, and then bury the ashes where they will not be trodden upon, as you would with an icon. Even though this image was likely intended to blaspheme the Savior, it is, nonetheless an image of the Savior.

That's just my opinion though. I'd be interested to hear what others think about the proper way to dispose of this statue.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:45:50 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 06:45:36 PM »

How nice. However since the Church is declining in numbers who will be left in 50 years to witness?  The times, they are a changing and the Vatican sees this and is not only changing but taking steps to be seen as more modern everyday. 

Who cares about Vatican?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
KFLINT

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 06:50:10 PM »

We would have to go back to ALL idols being burned then because they are all against the 10 commandments. I still do not see why you think it was intended to be blasphemous, why not share WHY you think it is?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many do not. Why ask an open question though? As I many religious corners see them self as independent it is hard to stray from the well spring...even if you want to.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »

The adage "that's how it has always been" is never a good stance in a debate. 
Unless you're arguing the apostolic faith. 

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »

No. Iconography is about maintaining traditions, not creating something new. The Orthodox Church is even starting to replace iconostases {iconostasis} from the 19th century that were overly influenced by Roman Catholic art.

That image of Christ is intended to be laughed at. We don't laugh at God. We stand before him in all seriousness and humility and pray for mercy.

I realize that many people today are only living for fun and good times, but that's not what Christianity is about. Christianity is not about having fun, and Jesus is not to be laughed at. I don't think anyone disputes that is considered out of touch, but it is what it is. It is the world that is out of touch with its maker, not vice-versa.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:11:27 PM by bogdan » Logged
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 09:23:12 PM »

I realize that many people today are only living for fun and good times, but that's not what Christianity is about. Christianity is not about having fun, and Jesus is not to be laughed at.

While I agree that the Lord is not to be mocked, there is room for joy and laughter in Christianity. Every vespers we thank God for "wine that gladdens the heart of man", and our Lord's first miracle was wrought to make wedding festivities last longer, which if you know anything about the Middle East, are boisterous occasions. I know many monks who combine a great peace and tranquility with a fine sense of humour.

The only religious figure I can immediately call to mind who claimed there's no room for laughter in the spiritual life is Ayatollah Khomeini. Let's not follow along with him.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 09:55:18 PM »

Oh, I agree, there is a place for joy and laughter in Christianity. I just mean it's not all about fun and games, while many christianities are precisely about happiness and good feelings.

But Orthodoxy is a serious religion. We can have joy and laughter, but it is a byproduct—not the ends—of our spiritual life, the way I see it. But we certainly cannot laugh in spite of our religion, and making light of Christ is that.
Clancy Boy

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 03:14:09 AM »

Christ is not your "buddy."  Nor is he your "co-pilot."

He is your God and your sovereign lord and don't you forget it.

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 04:30:42 AM »

But at the same time Jesus is my best friend. I agree with the co-pilot statment, Jesus should lead you, not you try to lead Jesus, but He is still my friend, my God, and my master.
While being my friend does not mean that I think of Him any less, just like my team leader is my boss; he tells me what to do and I do it, but he is still my friend that I can talk to.
I hope this post makes sense...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 01:05:24 PM »

Christ is not your "buddy."  Nor is he your "co-pilot."

While Christ may not be one's "buddy", the liturgy does call him a friend.
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »

I really hate to be a buttinsky here but what exactly is blasphemous about the "Jesus buddy" statue? I think that's a really strong word. I mean, irreverent, yes indeed. Goofy, indeed. Not suitable for veneration, for sure. But blasphemous? I dunno, I don't see anything in the thing that blasphemes Jesus Christ. If you don't think Jesus laughed, did goofy things, and gave whatever the 1st century Palestinian version of a thumbs up was, then do you really see him as fully man? The perfect man yes. But perfection doesn't mean "stick in the mud" does it? It reminds me of ultra rigid baptists who say "Jesus would never have turned water into WINE, it was grape juice"...uh have these people ever been to a Jewish wedding? Obviously not. Jesus Christ lived the fullness of human life. He laughed, danced, cried, acted goofy, and did all the things that are "unbefitting" of God because that is how much God loves us. Certainly the statue isn't an icon, but I think suggestions of throwing it in the trash are extreme. If one is to dispose of it it should be disposed of in a proper manner, after all it is an image of Jesus and should be treated with some form of respect.

To the OP, I certainly would not venerate it or put it in an icon corner but I also can't see how throwing it in the garbage is a good idea either.
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 11:28:03 PM »

Oh, I agree, there is a place for joy and laughter in Christianity. I just mean it's not all about fun and games, while many christianities are precisely about happiness and good feelings.

But Orthodoxy is a serious religion. We can have joy and laughter, but it is a byproduct—not the ends—of our spiritual life, the way I see it. But we certainly cannot laugh in spite of our religion, and making light of Christ is that.

Forget Orthodoxy, do you think Jesus was always dead serious? If so, I take it you don't know many Jews, or have never been to a Bar Mitzvah or a Jewish wedding huh? I've personally never understood this concern to "protect Jesus" and make sure he is portrayed as some Scandinavian stoic when in fact he was from the Medditeranean basin. I somehow doubt Jesus drew crowds of thousands along with throngs of children because who was an uptight standoffish guy.  I think this particular statue of course is pretty absurd but the cold stoic Jesus has always been a huge turn off for me. That's just me though, whatever works for others is fine with me though.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 03:11:38 AM »

Actually, the Buddy Christ was invented more as a critique of the modern Roman Catholic Church and her attempts to be "relevant". 

Haha, "Cardinal" George Carlin and his Catholicism Wow! campaign (and its accompanying "Buddy Jesus" statue) were by far the best part of an otherwise crappy movie.

The scene was a funny and well-targeted parody. The rest of the film was just bad. Not a surprise that the only good part was Carlin's---an atheist, yes, but an intelligent and perceptive one. R.I.P.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 03:46:01 AM »

do you think Jesus was always dead serious?

"There are only tears in holy Russia"

Jesus was Russian.

Checkmate!
laconicstudent
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 04:32:41 AM »

We would have to go back to ALL idols being burned then because they are all against the 10 commandments.

Christians still aren't supposed to have idols, last I checked.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:33:03 AM by laconicstudent » Logged
Clancy Boy

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 04:17:15 AM »

Christ is not your "buddy."  Nor is he your "co-pilot."

While Christ may not be one's "buddy", the liturgy does call him a friend.

Yes it does.  How many thousands of times does it call him Lord?

Christ is our Lord and we are his servants.  That is the appropriate way to characterize the relationship.  "Friend" or "Buddy" implies that he is somehow our equal.  I don't know if that's outright blasphemous but it does give a very wrong impression.

I think this comes out of the American preoccupation with equality, and may have something to do with the fact that American Christians no longer bow or show any kind of deference to or reverence for their creator.

My strongly-held opinion.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:21:29 AM by Clancy Boy » Logged
Clancy Boy

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 04:18:42 AM »

Forget Orthodoxy, do you think Jesus was always dead serious? If so, I take it you don't know many Jews, or have never been to a Bar Mitzvah or a Jewish wedding huh? I've personally never understood this concern to "protect Jesus" and make sure he is portrayed as some Scandinavian stoic when in fact he was from the Medditeranean basin. I somehow doubt Jesus drew crowds of thousands along with throngs of children because who was an uptight standoffish guy.  I think this particular statue of course is pretty absurd but the cold stoic Jesus has always been a huge turn off for me. That's just me though, whatever works for others is fine with me though.

Do you think Jesus joked about sacred things?

No he did not.  And neither should we.

As for whether he was serious all the time or not, why speculate?  The New Testament is full of Jesus's witty rejoinders, especially toward critics and hecklers.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:20:06 AM by Clancy Boy » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: