OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:09:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marital sex is a sin in Orthodoxy?  (Read 12051 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2010, 12:55:14 PM »

I tell my Gay brother, if you don't like having sex with women, get married.

Cheesy

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »

I feel I must address this for anyone who reads this thread later....

quote from Northwestern

"Do you believe everything your priest tells you about science? If he really believes that ALL forms of the pill are a form of a abortion, then he needs to do some serious and extensive reading on the matter BEFORE giving out advice to any more people. "Some" forms of the pill are a form of abortion, but not all. The classical form of the the contraceptive agent commonly known as "the pill" is well, a contraceptive. The "morning after pill" is of course as your priest described and believes, but certainly not all forms of the pill are. "

All chemical or hormonal methods of birth control act in several ways. The main way is by preventing ovulation. However, the secondary way they work is to make the lining of the uterus so thin that a developing embryo would not be able to implant and would be ejected from the body. The people who write about "the pill" are technically correct in saying that it non abortive, because in scientific definition, an embryo has to embed in order for it to be aborted from the body. However, if you believe life begins at conception, as is the Orthodox belief, then purposefully causing the embryo to die through lack of nourishment is abortive in the life-ending sense. The Pill is abortive, as are the various IUDs and anything but barrier methods.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:08:01 PM by choirfiend » Logged

Qui cantat, bis orat
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2010, 11:09:14 PM »

Ok, here are the opinions of an Eastern Orthodox laymen who has been married...

So basically, in Orthodoxy, you must abstain from sex until marriage.

You should if you're following a traditional Christian moral code, yeah.

Then when you get married, you may only have sex to have children

Many of the Church Fathers seemed to feel that it was necessary to justify having sexual relations, but there are a few different reasons for having sex. One is having children. One is avoiding lust, which is a reason that St. Paul himself mentions. Another is because it builds a bond of intimacy, "two becoming one" as it were.

and even then you have to try not to even enjoy it?

Some Fathers believed that it was a minor sin to enjoy sex. They were in a minority, however, and that is not the teaching that has come down in the Eastern Orthodox Church's teachings. Have fun, enjoy yourself.
THAT's a different topic:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=tags;id=3665

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2010, 11:24:57 PM »

Oh! We've got a comedian in the house, have we?  Kiss
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »

To bring it back on topic, I might throw in my own opinion on that:

Masturbation as foreplay, during play, whatever, between married couple (even if one is just watching) is on a par with NFP, i.e. is not a sin.

Any talk of masturbation as a sin deals only with auto-eroticism, and applies in that case to females as well (those who think "Onanism" a mortal sin seem to be unaware of female masturbation).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »

The Bible clearly talks about the two becoming one flesh AFTER marriage.

So absolutely my interpretation of Eastern Orthodox teaching is that AFTER marriage then you may have sex.

I don't see how a piece of plastic allows you to become one flesh as God intended sex to be.   In fact in some cases you can see the perversion in it.

As far as the bedroom goes, that's between the man and his wife with the door closed.   So long as it is natural and between them it's not the Church's business.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Alive
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, 03:34:25 AM »

The Bible clearly talks about the two becoming one flesh AFTER marriage.

So absolutely my interpretation of Eastern Orthodox teaching is that AFTER marriage then you may have sex.

I don't see how a piece of plastic allows you to become one flesh as God intended sex to be.   In fact in some cases you can see the perversion in it.

As far as the bedroom goes, that's between the man and his wife with the door closed.   So long as it is natural and between them it's not the Church's business.

And in old time it was more then just “spanking” – it was “death penalty” for not respecting parents.

And even St. John refere to it :

6. The wise Sirach says: Hast thou children? Instruct them, and bow down their neck from their youth (Sir. 7:25). But the Lord does not only prompt us with this command through the lips of His prophet; he even takes our side, supporting the fulfillment of this commandment with the fearsome punishment that awaits those children who do not submit to the authority of their parents: Every man who shall speak evil of his father or of his mother, let him die the death (Lev. 20:9). He punishes with death those who become guilty before you, and you look tepidly at these sins that they commit against the highest possible authority. They are rebelling against God Him self, transgressing His commandments, and you look at this without the least displeasure, without the slightest criticism of your children. What does He have to lose from their offense? Nothing. But you, why should you not fear for your own selves? For whoever abandons the Lord will never respect either his own father or himself.
Tags: marriage sex 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: