OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Days of Obligation  (Read 6551 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: May 12, 2010, 01:17:16 AM »

What sorts of penalties are associated with missing "Holy Days of Obligation" in the Papal churches?
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 01:35:41 AM »

You mean Roman Catholic parishes?  Wink

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 01:45:42 AM »

You mean Roman Catholic parishes?

Which Rome? Old, New, or Third?  Wink
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Arquidiósesis de Guadalajara (México)

Me when younger

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 01:48:34 AM »

What sorts of penalties are associated with missing "Holy Days of Obligation" in the Papal churches?

¿Papal Churches?

Nisi Dominus aedificaverit Domum
in vanum laboraverunt qui aedifcant eam
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem
frustra vigilant qui custodit Eam
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:08:42 AM »

I believe it is considered a grave sin.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:24:27 AM »

You mean Roman Catholic parishes?

Which Rome? Old, New, or Third?  Wink

The Roman Catholic Church. The Church headed by the Pope in the Vatican.

There's no need to be rude and disrespectful. That's just arrogance.

It's not a good witness to Orthodoxy; it's just rude.

Catholics come on this forum to have civil discussion with us. We may be the only witness to Orthodoxy they ever see.

Do you really want that witness to be one of disrespecting their Church?

Heck, I'm surprised they don't walk away in disgust.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:29:50 AM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:14:21 AM »

There's no need to be rude and disrespectful. That's just arrogance.

I don't see what's so offensive, but I'll stop doing it in order to avoid needless offense.

So, Roman Catholics, can we get back on topic?
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:27:24 AM »

Silly Greeks and Russians...  The only Rome is found in the Apennine Peninsula.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »

It's a grave sin akin to missing Sunday Mass for no good reason.  If one misses a day of obligation w/o good reason, one should go to confession before receiving communion again.

I don't see what's so offensive, but I'll stop doing it in order to avoid needless offense.

So, Roman Catholics, can we get back on topic?

Speaking now as a moderator, I'm going to hold you to this promise now.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:53:57 AM »

Is it considered a mortal sin to miss a day of obligation? 

Can days of obligation be fulfilled by attending a church that the Roman Catholic Church views as having a valid eucharist such as an Eastern or Oriental Orthodox Church or a church of the Church of the East?

Are there such things as days of obligation in Eastern Orthodoxy?
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »

Are there such things as days of obligation in Eastern Orthodoxy?
Well, in traditionally Orthodox lands there  was and still is something akin to this concept, although going to liturgy isn't really the point that's stressed on such days, but rather the cessation of work.
So, peasants like my grandmothers and others of their generation, wouldn't have done any sort of work on any major feast days (3 days for Easter and Christmas, 2 for Epiphany, 2 or 3 for Pentecost) or even on St. Elijah's, St. Procopius', of the lesser known feasts etc.
It is not something written in the catechism, but is a very strong, and socially sanctioned tradition.
One would observe these days partly out of fear of God (ensure good luck, health, abundant crops, ensure good weather), partly out of social conformity (avoid being gossiped about and judged by neighbours etc).
This is, needless to say, totally lost in America.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:50:55 AM »

...not completely lost in the U.S.

We do try to take vacation days off work on major holidays.

We never do menial work such as laundry, cutting the lawn, mending or sewing, washing floors or other "household" work on holidays or the evening before.  It has to be completed the day before. 

For Pascha - no cooking takes place.  The food was prepared beforehand and it's a "cold" meal - although the best of the year.

My mother never sent us to school on holidays, instead we went to church.  In college, it seemed that Christmas (Jan 7) always coincided with the first week of classes for that semester....and while it was difficult to miss class on the first week, we always went to church, not school.

There are even "customs" attached to various days...besides being a strict fasting day, the Beheading of St. John the Baptist, it is forbidden on that day to "cut" anything, especially anything "round".  Therefore, if you need to cook with cabbage or onions on that day, they needed to be chopped the day before.  No chopping is to be done on that day.   Wink   While it sounds "silly"...it really drives home the message...and for kids especially, the gravity of the day.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »

Intentionally missing Mass on a Holy Day of Obligation without a good excuse is a mortal sin in the Latin Catholic Church. The reason being, participation in Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation is a precept of the Church (CIC, can. 1246-1248; CCEO, can. 881 # 1, # 2, # 4; CCC 2042). Furthermore, violation of of the precepts is grave matter (the first constituent part of a mortal sin). Now, you may wonder what exactly a precept is according to the Catholic Church. The answer is defined in the Catechism as:

CCC 2041 The precepts of the Church are set in the context of a moral life bound to and nourished by liturgical life. The obligatory character of these positive laws decreed by the pastoral authorities is meant to guarantee to the faithful the indispensable minimum in the spirit of prayer and moral effort, in the growth in love of God and neighbor.

Also, this obligation is satisfied at any Catholic Church of any rite in the world. From the Code of Canons of the Latin Church:

CIC Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

Does that answer the question?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:01:05 PM by Athanasios » Logged

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »

Since Man Has Free will to worship or not ,How can a Church create a sin Mortal or other wise....Many Catholics are forced to become scripture Lawyers ,In very elaborate schemes to justify getting out of there Obligation....How can God Honor someones devotion at church if there doing it to fulfill a Obligation ,to avoid a mortal sin...This makes No Sense to me.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 12:55:41 PM »

We follow God's commandments because such is OWED to Him. We have this obligation because He is our Lord and Creator. Now, the most perfect motivation for giving due honor to God is out of love, but the minimum is out of a sense of obligation to our heavenly Sovereign. From that seed can grow the more perfect motivation of love.
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »

I never cared for the word "obligation" --even when I was in communion with the Latin Church.  It is a privilege to be present and to worship God during Divine Liturgy and other services. That is how I see it now.

The Latin Church should change it to "Holy days of privilege".  Smiley
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »

So you don't owe God anything, eh?

Sure it is a privilege, but it is not a privilege that can justly be refused. We owe it, are obliged, it is our duty. Moderns may not like these words anymore, but they still apply.

We owe it to our Father to render Him the honor to which He is due. That is the beginning of love. "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »

I never cared for the word "obligation" --even when I was in communion with the Latin Church.  It is a privilege to be present and to worship God during Divine Liturgy and other services. That is how I see it now.

I agree with the essence of what you are saying, but I must also reiterate what lubeltri has said. It is a glorious privilege, which if refused, reveals the lack of love and appreciation for Christ's sacrifice in your heart. This is not to say that there are real reasons for missing Mass on Sunday - it's just that those should be more than, "I just didn't feel like it." Even if you don't feel like going out on a date with your wife on your anniversary, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't.

I would also like to point out that the local Greek Orthodox Church's website states that missing Divine Liturgy without a just cause is a mortal sin; see http://stgeorge.nm.goarch.org/info/christian%20orthodoxy.asp .

"Jesus, you died for my sins, but I have to come watch, too?!"

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:25 PM »

Of course it's a privilege but one thinks that he doesn't owe God anything, such a person is sadly mistaken. Our very being is his gift to us, and so we owe him everything we are.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »

I knew so many people that were frightened into going to Mass because they would go to hell if they did not fulfill their "obligation".  They were terrified that God would punish them and condemn them to hell if they did not pay God what he demanded--what He was owed.

We have free will.  We worship out of love because we yearn to be there.  

We do not go out of fear of an angry God.  Undecided

Yes we owe God our lives. We owe Him our hearts. We owe Him our love. 

But this obligation stuff is a little odd

Eh?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:18:27 PM by Mickey » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »

I knew so many people that were frightened into going to Mass because they would go to hell if they did not fulfill their "obligation".  They were terrified that God would punish them and condemn them to hell if they did not pay God what he demanded--what He was owed.

Eh?

I can't see how its odd. If a person owes, then he is obliged. We owe, so we are obliged. I not sure what the problem is. Can you help me to understand your position a bit better.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 04:28:41 PM »

Eh?

Fear of hell is not the best motive to worship our Creator, but it is a start! God accepts it, or else he wouldn't warn us about damnation so frequently in Holy Scripture.

Those people afraid of Hell went to church, and they heard the Gospel---and only the hardest of hearts could hear the Gospel regularly and not begin to respond with love. Without that fear of hell, they would not have heard the Gospel. Which is better?

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »

The following best sums it up for me. It is a quote from a Melkite Deacon:

The problem with the question is the concept of "obligation" which is legalistic at best. Fr. Damen Giger once expressed it this way: "We have no more 'obligation' to go to Church than we have to eat or breath." It's not so much an obligation as it is a requirement for life!

Clearly we Melkites do have feast days where we encourage everyone to come to church, but we do not have what the Latins would call "Holy Days of Obligation" for the reason given above.

Fr. Deacon Edward
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »

Does anybody know the origin of the concept of and/or term "day of obligation"?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »

The following best sums it up for me. It is a quote from a Melkite Deacon:

The problem with the question is the concept of "obligation" which is legalistic at best. Fr. Damen Giger once expressed it this way: "We have no more 'obligation' to go to Church than we have to eat or breath." It's not so much an obligation as it is a requirement for life!

Clearly we Melkites do have feast days where we encourage everyone to come to church, but we do not have what the Latins would call "Holy Days of Obligation" for the reason given above.

Fr. Deacon Edward
A requirement is an obligation. He is creating a distinction without a difference.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »

I think moderns have attached some negative bagage to the term "obligation" that was not necessarily always there. Since the credo of the day is individual liberty and license, the concept of being obliged to anyone is not something that most can accept. However, this attitude is far from Christian.

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 11:32:54 AM »

Does anybody know the origin of the concept of and/or term "day of obligation"?

Good question. It seems to be a Latin legalistic term. I'd be interested to know when the term was coined.  Huh
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:35:14 AM by Mickey » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »

I watched some u-tub video's ,Islam has this saying no compulsion in religion..But the u-tub videos show other wise,people that are selling things on a Friday in the square on there day of worship ,are beaten with rubber hoses there tables overturned and forced in to the mosques to pray...

Pushing a day of Obligation and making a mortal sin of it ,if one fails to attend church  ,does violate ones free will ...... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »

Yeah, requiring obedience to one of the Ten Commandments violates free will.  Go take that (and your married bishops) up with God, Stashko. Roll Eyes

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 02:43:54 PM »

I watched some u-tub video's ,Islam has this saying no compulsion in religion..But the u-tub videos show other wise,people that are selling things on a Friday in the square on there day of worship ,are beaten with rubber hoses there tables overturned and forced in to the mosques to pray...

Pushing a day of Obligation and making a mortal sin of it ,if one fails to attend church  ,does violate ones free will ...... Grin

No it doesn't. The Church requires that everyone is present for the Divine Liturgy. To miss is a mortal sin (i.e., if you died you would not enter the Kingdom, as my priest describes it.)

You have compete and total freedom: the freedom to commit a mortal sin, or not commit a mortal sin. No one is forcing you to do anything against your will.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:44:36 PM by bogdan » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »

Grin I don't mind the Holy Orthodox Church Going Back to the Ancient Practice Of Married Bishops, and the Ordination of Woman Deacons, ... Grin

The ten comandments are given to us by God ,who can argue with that...I won't ...Days of obligation are created by a Fallable man Plus a mortal sin is added to boot to fill the pews.... Grin

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 02:58:03 PM »

I'v heard to miss The Holy Orthodox Liturgy a few times or more one excommunicates himself, but the Orthodox Church never attached a Mortal sin ...One Just deprives himself of Spiritual Food ,Growth... Grin Connt.... The Holy Orthodox Church is there to save ,not to condem people to hell..like you know Who..A Hospital it is ,not a warden of a prison.... Grin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:22:40 PM by stashko » Logged

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »

"Just" deprives himself of Spiritual Food, Growth...??

By being excommunicated, one deprives oneself of more than just Spiritual Food...one deprives oneself of communion with God Himself.

By definition, being excommuinicated deprives one of all the Mysteries in the hope that such a deprivation will make one realize the gravity of one's errors, such as missing Divine Liturgy on Sundays w/o good reason and come back to the Church in a spirit of metanoia.

You make it sound like excommunication is just this cavalier and casual thing when it should be the most terrible thing an Orthodox Christian has to endure.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 03:35:16 PM »

Confession corrects that ,,,,And one is in Good Graces again.... Grin

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:39:34 PM by stashko » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »

Grin I don't mind the Holy Orthodox Church Going Back to the Ancient Practice Of Married Bishops, and the Ordination of Woman Deacons, ... Grin

The ten comandments are given to us by God ,who can argue with that...I won't ...Days of obligation are created by a Fallable man Plus a mortal sin is added to boot to fill the pews.... Grin

Fallible men to whom God said, "Whatever you bind on Earth is bound in Heaven."

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »

But if you think missing Sunday services is not a sin, what is there to confess?  If all one is excommunicated for is missing Sunday liturgy for three successive weeks (I believe that's the canon, but I could be wrong), is this a fair penalty for not doing anything wrong?

Let me put it to you this way.  We both know that the Greek harmatia is the word most often used for "sin" in the Old Testament, a word that means "missing the mark," which has obvious archery connotations.  In Latin theology, an "obligation" is the mark, or target, that we are to shoot for.  By definition, not fulfilling that obligation means that we missed the mark.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:43:48 PM by Schultz » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »

Fallible men to whom God said, "Whatever you bind on Earth is bound in Heaven."

Im sure the Lord Didn't Mean that they have the right to create with the gift of binding and loosening, a sin mortal or otherwise and throw heavy  yokes around peoples necks...Christ say his yoke  is light...To Bind Or to Loosen sins applies to confessed sins ,that people have done  or are guilty of... Grin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:12:43 PM by stashko » Logged

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 04:22:17 PM »

I would have to partly agree with our Catholic brethren on this one, especially Papist who said the argument of "obligation v. privilege" is one of no real difference. I also agree with my Orthodox brethren who say that we should do this out of love. In the end, no matter why you attend Divine Liturgy, the important thing is that you do for the Lord said in John (I am paraphrasing) that unless we partake of the Holy Eucharist, we have no life. Please note that He did not tell us to partake at least once a month, once a quarter or once a year. From Biblical accounts and the writings of the Early Fathers, we see that the Holy Eucharist was celebrated weekly. This is what we should strive to do: out of love in the East and out of obligation (and love I would hope) in the West.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 09:06:08 AM »

The Church requires that everyone is present for the Divine Liturgy. To miss is a mortal sin (i.e., if you died you would not enter the Kingdom, as my priest describes it.)

You have compete and total freedom: the freedom to commit a mortal sin, or not commit a mortal sin. No one is forcing you to do anything against your will.

Does the Holy Orthodox Church distinguish between "venial" and "mortal" sins?
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 09:11:16 AM »

From Biblical accounts and the writings of the Early Fathers, we see that the Holy Eucharist was celebrated weekly.

Have you ever read the book: "Concerning Frequent Communion" by Saint Nikodemos the Hagiorite?  It is excellent!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:12:07 AM by Mickey » Logged
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 09:47:46 AM »

Does the Holy Orthodox Church distinguish between "venial" and "mortal" sins?

St Nicodemus the Hagiorite apparently made a distinction similar to the mortal/venial sin distinction.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:48:33 AM by akimel » Logged

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »

It is not something written in the catechism, but is a very strong, and socially sanctioned tradition.
One would observe these days partly out of fear of God (ensure good luck, health, abundant crops, ensure good weather), partly out of social conformity (avoid being gossiped about and judged by neighbours etc).

I'd have to say that I find the phrases 'socially sanctioned tradition', 'fear of God', and 'social conformity' to be as offensive to Eastern Christian thinking as the Latin terminology 'days of obligation'.

I've always considered and understood attendance at liturgical services on the Great or Solemn Feasts to be done for love of God - not fear of Him.

Do you really believe that the Slavic Eastern Catholic and Orthodox miners in Jacob's Creek, PA whose lives were spared on the Old Calendar Feast of St Nicholas (or, for that matter, the Italian Latin Catholic ones in Monongah, WV, likewise spared two weeks earlier, on the New Calendar feast of the same Saint) acted from fear of God when they gave up a day's pay to attend liturgy - in an era when doing so was an incredible sacrifice. One thinks not.  

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2010, 11:13:22 AM »

I'v heard to miss The Holy Orthodox Liturgy a few times or more one excommunicates himself, but the Orthodox Church never attached a Mortal sin ...One Just deprives himself of Spiritual Food ,Growth... Grin Connt.... The Holy Orthodox Church is there to save ,not to condem people to hell..like you know Who..A Hospital it is ,not a warden of a prison.... Grin

" Grin "

You keep using that emoticon. I do not think it means what you think it means.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »

I'd have to say that I find the phrases 'socially sanctioned tradition', 'fear of God', and 'social conformity' to be as offensive to Eastern Christian thinking as the Latin terminology 'days of obligation'
Offensive  Huh Roll Eyes?
That's how the peasants among I grew up lived. I never heard them talk about "loving God", but I've heard them often talk about "fearing God".
And of course most things were done with a thought at what the neighbours/other villagers might say or think of. Avoiding to give occasion for gossip is very important in a village. And they were thoroughly Eastern Christians. They never read books about "Eastern theology", that's true, as well.
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2010, 12:02:49 PM »

I'd have to say that I find the phrases 'socially sanctioned tradition', 'fear of God', and 'social conformity' to be as offensive to Eastern Christian thinking as the Latin terminology 'days of obligation'.

I've always considered and understood attendance at liturgical services on the Great or Solemn Feasts to be done for love of God - not fear of Him.

Do you really believe that the Slavic Eastern Catholic and Orthodox miners in Jacob's Creek, PA whose lives were spared on the Old Calendar Feast of St Nicholas (or, for that matter, the Italian Latin Catholic ones in Monongah, WV, likewise spared two weeks earlier, on the New Calendar feast of the same Saint) acted from fear of God when they gave up a day's pay to attend liturgy - in an era when doing so was an incredible sacrifice. One thinks not.  

Yes.  Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: