This church was started in 1897 as a chapel for the tsarist Russian Navy as two warships were being built for it at Cramp shipyard in Philadelphia. (At least one, the Variag
(Viking), was sunk in the Russo-Japanese war, in which Russia tried to take Korea by force from Japan and failed.)
It’s really a pro-cathedral — the Moscow Patriarchate’s exarch, Bishop Merkury, lives at St Nicholas Cathedral in New York (built by the Tsar in 1901). It is one of the churches named as exempt from joining the OCA in the 1970 document creating the OCA from the Russian metropolia.
After nearly closing during the Cold War, it’s flourishing — most of those post-Soviet Russian immigrants in the city who practise Russian Orthodoxy have made it their church home. English is rare.