OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 10:53:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Water Usage  (Read 572 times) Average Rating: 0
NewOrtho

Faith: Catholic (SLOWLY going towards Orthodoxy)

« on: May 10, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »

Does anyone know of any resources (online or otherwise) that discuss the evolution of the use of holy water in Christianity?  For example, Eastern churches do not have holy water fonts at the entrance of churches/cathedrals, while Roman Catholic churches do.  When did this practice develop?  Also, what is the liturgical use of holy water in the East in general?  I'm specifically also interested in any evolution or connection with ancient Jewish practices.  For example, I know that the temple had a place to wash.  This would seem to mirror the Roman Catholic practice of blessing oneself with water at the entrance of a church.

Thanks!
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:38:21 AM »

This may be able to get you started:
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Holy_water

Something I haven't looked at either, until now.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »

It goes back to the Old Testament. The priests used to pour water from certain holy pools over the altar to purify it. You could write a book on the sacred use of water in the Bible--someone probably already has.
Tags: Holy Water 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: