OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 07:39:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool free software  (Read 1420 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: January 20, 2004, 09:48:08 PM »

About a month ago, I downloaded Mozilla and Spybot off of the internet. These downloads are for free.

Mozilla has the most incredible anti-popup software I have ever seen. Nothing has worked for me quite like it. I have not had one popup since I downloaded Mozilla.

Spybot has been an excellent anti-spyware software. I didn't realize how much spyware I had on my computer until I downloaded it. My computer has never run so well since I have been using Spybot.

I was curious if any of you know of any free software products like Mozilla and Spybot.

ORTHODOX BAGPIPER

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Strobert
Strobert

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 09:53:06 PM »

Bagpiper.
Several months ago I downloaded the Avant  Browser.  It's a freebie too.  Having gotten use to the tabbed windows available to me here, I tried using Mozilla a while back, and simply didn't feel as comfortable with it.  I think Mozilla offers the same tabbed possibilities, but I just found it easier with Avant.  Avant also has anti-popup elements.

St Rupert (Robert) of Salzburg, pray to God for us.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 09:58:36 PM »

Yahoo, google, altavista, Merrium websters have IE tool bars that you can add on to explorer.  The google and altavista toolbars BOTH have built in popup blockers

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 10:37:43 PM »

I like using Dave's Quick Search Toolbar.  Have had it for almost two years now, and I am extremely happy with it.

http://www.dqsd.net/

Dave's Quick Search Deskbar is a tiny textbox that Dave Bau designed for search hounds with weary mouse-fingers.  Unlike the Google Toolbar, this little deskbar lets you launch searches without starting a web browser first, directly from your Windows Explorer Taskbar.

You type your search and hit Enter for a regular Google search.

If you're feeling lucky, tack an exclamation point on to the end of your search - "pow! " - and go directly to the top ranked hit. It is Powered By Google, and Yes it Really Works.

Now you can do searches no matter what you are doing - email, word processing, programming, whatever.

There's more.  You're not a captive to Google. Do Yahoo searches with a "yh question", get Merriam-Webster definitions with a "colon:", get Bloomberg stock quotes like this "msft intc csco$", and find Switchboard phone numbers by saying "Lois Lane#". You can search real "news." search "newsgroups," check "weather*", or "comparison shop$$". There's a built in calculator when you need to know "pow(1.0625, 30) " is 6.1640785.  And so on.

Too much to remember?  Click the button on the search bar or press F1 and a menu shows you all your choices. Not enough space on your deskbar?  It includes a clock so that you can free up some space by turning off the system deskbar clock.

Missing a feature you need? If you know HTML and want to add your own functionality, you can - it is distributed under GPL and is available at SourceForge .

It'll make you super-quick.

You'll be ready to take on the world and surf like never before.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 08:30:55 AM »

Ad-Aware is a good (free as in beer) program that is real good to run after you run Spybot.  It cleans up any other malignant registry entries/files that sometimes Spybot can't fix.

jmell

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 12:05:55 PM »

I just downloaded Spybot and have Adaware, what a good combo!
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 01:44:55 PM »

another great program is karen's cookie viewer. Smiley Lets you see who is putting what cookies on your comp and what webpages they report to . . . .

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: