OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:21:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholicism, from a happy catholic.  (Read 35101 times) Average Rating: 0
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Arquidiósesis de Guadalajara (México)

Me when younger

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2010, 07:37:24 PM »

To be Catholic is to Participate of the Misteries of The Sacred Eucharist.
To Be Catholic is to be OBEDIENT of our Bishops, True succesors of the Apostles.

This is fine as long as you bear in mind that this is what it means to be Orthodox Catholic as well.

Mary

To be Catholic is to be Orthodox, It doesn't matter if you are Eastern Catholic or Latin Catholic, we both are Orthodox. I don't like to differenciate between Byzantine Catholics and Latin Catholics, because to me we both are the same people of the Lord, we remain in comunion with Peter's Succesor.

To Be catholic is also to be where St. Paul is.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:56:02 PM by Alonso_castillo » Logged

Nisi Dominus aedificaverit Domum
in vanum laboraverunt qui aedifcant eam
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem
frustra vigilant qui custodit Eam
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »

I really like quite more the paintings from El Greco than many Byzantine Icons. And yet I recognize that those Icons are beacons of the faith of many sincere eastern christian souls.

You can keep El Greco" (the greek) or Δομήνικος Θεοτοκόπουλος (Domenicos Theotocopoulos)\ thats so ugly to me they don't have any spiritual aww nada.....you did us a favor by taking it..

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2010, 07:46:45 PM »

To be Catholic is be a member of the 23 sui iuris Churches.

To be a Roman Catholic is much better.  The Roman Catholic Church is the only one which ia autocephalous and top dog over all the other Catholic Churches.
Fr. Ambrose, you continually put me to sleep with your borring and packaged responses.

Imagine how we feel with the constant flow of pre-packaged Roman Catholic propaganda!  laugh
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2010, 07:58:36 PM »

I really like quite more the paintings from El Greco than many Byzantine Icons. And yet I recognize that those Icons are beacons of the faith of many sincere eastern christian souls.

You can keep El Greco" (the greek) or Δομήνικος Θεοτοκόπουλος (Domenicos Theotocopoulos)\ thats so ugly to me they don't have any spiritual aww nada.....you did us a favor by taking it..

Yes, he undertood it very well.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »

I think I'd rather have a thread of RC's being joyful in their faith than yet another article in some newspaper/blog that uses the much-publicized issues within the various Churches to try and convince people that religion is ridiculous.  We may have our issues, and may believe that the other (RC to OC, and vice-versa) is not the Body of Christ, but at least we're both trying in one way or another to glorify the One God in Three Persons.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »

Ok, last time I wrote in this forum I was warned 90 days for telling a catholic to remain catholic, I guess it was because I posted that post in the conversion forum, yet, I hope here in this "Catholic - "Orthodox" discussion" forum, there is a bit more openess and tolerance towards catholics who are happy to be catholics. If I am wrong please be mercyful and tell me before I got amonested again.

Well much has been said about catholicism from "eastern orthodox" point of view, Now without any intend to argue, I am going to show Why I love to be catholic.

To be Catholic is to be part of the family of Our Lord and God Jesuchrist, by the Baptism.
 To be Catholic is to receive the Body and Blood of Christ in the Sacred Eucharist.
 To be Catholic is to be certain of being forgiven from our sins by the sacrament of reconciliation.
 To be Catholic is to be certain of receiving the Holly Spirit  by chrismation.
 To be Catholic is to be certain that the Triumphant Church, the one formed by the Saints of the Lord, operates for the salvation of the militant Church, the one formed in the faithfuls of the Lord.
 To be Catholic is to believe the words of the Lord.
 To be Catholic is to be part of the communion of the Apostles of Our Lord and God Jesuchrist.
 To be Catholic is to be protected, guided and defended by the succesor of St. Peter. The only one who received by our lord the comand to take care of Lord's people.
 To be Catholic is to be in comunion with all the Fathers of the Church. Who are also in communion with The succesor of St Peter in Rome.
 To be Catholic is to be son of the always Virgin Mary. Mother of the true God by whom we live.
 To be Catholic  is to be part of the people whom received by the will of God, America, a new continent, for the people of the Lord.
 To be Catholic is to be blessed by Our Lady The Inmaculated Virgin of Guadalupe to be here in America, to stay here, to be part of the flock of his son, Our Lord Jesus.
 To be Catholic is to be certain of the inerracy of the pope in matters of doctrine of faith.
 To be Catholic is to be Part of the Only Body of Our Lord.
 To be Catholic is to walk to the Lord in comunion with those whom he has choosen since ever.

Are you saying this expecting people here to recognize the legitimacy of your statements?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 08:21:42 PM »

If all Alonso wants is a monologue, why are so many here engaging him?  Leave him alone and see how long he can stand talking to himself.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:22:15 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 08:31:20 PM »

If all Alonso wants is a monologue, why are so many here engaging him?  Leave him alone and see how long he can stand talking to himself.

I just posted trying to figure out if a monologue is exactly what he wants. Or even if he expects people to agree with his statements as if he is infallible.  Undecided

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:26 PM »

I think I'd rather have a thread of RC's being joyful in their faith than yet another article in some newspaper/blog that uses the much-publicized issues within the various Churches to try and convince people that religion is ridiculous.  We may have our issues, and may believe that the other (RC to OC, and vice-versa) is not the Body of Christ, but at least we're both trying in one way or another to glorify the One God in Three Persons.

Thank you Father George!!

Mary

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 08:51:16 PM »

To be Catholic is to be certain of receiving the Holly Spirit  by chrismation.

Christ is Risen!

Can we ask questions of you, Alonso?

Are there now 8 Sacraments in the Catholic Church?

There seems to be a new Sacrament called Chrismation which takes place at the same time as Baptism and confers the Holy Spirit.

Then there is of course the Sacrament of Confirmation which takes place quite a few years later.

I understand that Confirmation is one of the irrepeatable Sacraments and I suppose that Chrismation is also?

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 09:11:40 PM »

To be Catholic is to be part of the family of Our Lord and God Jesuchrist, by the Baptism.
 To be Catholic is to receive the Body and Blood of Christ in the Sacred Eucharist.
 To be Catholic is to be certain of being forgiven from our sins by the sacrament of reconciliation.
 To be Catholic is to be certain of receiving the Holly Spirit  by chrismation.
 To be Catholic is to be certain that the Triumphant Church, the one formed by the Saints of the Lord, operates for the salvation of the militant Church, the one formed in the faithfuls of the Lord.
 To be Catholic is to believe the words of the Lord.
 To be Catholic is to be part of the communion of the Apostles of Our Lord and God Jesuchrist.
 To be Catholic is to be protected, guided and defended by the succesor of St. Peter. The only one who received by our lord the comand to take care of Lord's people.
 To be Catholic is to be son of the always Virgin Mary. Mother of the true God by whom we live.
 To be Catholic  is to be part of the people whom received by the will of God, America, a new continent, for the people of the Lord.
 To be Catholic is to be Part of the Only Body of Our Lord.
 To be Catholic is to walk to the Lord in comunion with those whom he has choosen since ever.

The above can all be understood in a context which can apply to the Orthodox.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
android

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GO Archdiocese of America- Southeast US

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »

To be Catholic is to belong to the body of Christ extended in all nations and continents under the Guard of St. Peter's Succesor.

To be Orthodox is to belong to the body of Christ extended in all nations and continents under the Guard of Christ Himself who is the Head, Invisible and Visible, of the Church.

That's why I'm happy to be Orthodox.

BOOM
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2010, 10:02:42 PM »

I'm happy to be Orthodox because we have nifty hats.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2010, 10:11:22 PM »

For the sake of fairness and equal opportunity, perhaps a few pics of Orthodox church interiors are in order here:

These are quite beautiful as well. I wish I knew how to post pics here. I would share some beautiful Eastern Catholic Churches. Thanks for sharing yours.
these pictures are fantastic. Thanks a lot for these.
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2010, 11:20:19 PM »

To be Catholic is to be certain of receiving the Holly Spirit  by chrismation.

Christ is Risen!

Can we ask questions of you, Alonso?

Are there now 8 Sacraments in the Catholic Church?

There seems to be a new Sacrament called Chrismation which takes place at the same time as Baptism and confers the Holy Spirit.

Then there is of course the Sacrament of Confirmation which takes place quite a few years later.

I understand that Confirmation is one of the irrepeatable Sacraments and I suppose that Chrismation is also?

I ment Confirmation.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »

To Be Catholic is to be instrument of the love of God in service to the others.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »

Are you saying this expecting people here to recognize the legitimacy of your statements?

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »

we can't love what we don't know, ¿How can we expect to get united again if we do not love each other?, ¿How can we expect to love each other if we don't know each other?, ¿How can you know catholicism if you only know what some others not catholic tell you about catholicism?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:01 PM »

Every time I see the title of this thread I think it says "from a happy camper" and it reminds me of this scene from Sleepaway Camp 2.
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »

Every time I see the title of this thread I think it says "from a happy camper" and it reminds me of this scene from Sleepaway Camp 2.

Do it as you wich, but open your heart.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2010, 12:02:25 AM »

To be Catholic is to be Eastern and Western.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:06:03 AM by Alonso_castillo » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2010, 12:05:28 AM »

Alonso, would you please answer my question?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2010, 12:07:33 AM »

Getting better... Wink
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:08:19 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2010, 12:07:55 AM »

We can't love what we don't know, ¿How can we expect to get united again if we do not love each other?, ¿How can we expect to love each other if we don't know each other?, ¿How can you know catholicism if you only know what some others not catholic tell you about catholicism?

PD
Answered.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2010, 12:08:47 AM »

Getting better... Wink

This is a Greek Catholic Uckrainian Church in Canada
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:11:36 AM by Alonso_castillo » Logged

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »

Eastern and Western

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2010, 12:16:48 AM »

We can't love what we don't know, ¿How can we expect to get united again if we do not love each other?, ¿How can we expect to love each other if we don't know each other?, ¿How can you know catholicism if you only know what some others not catholic tell you about catholicism?

PD
Answered.

No, that really didn't answer my question at all.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2010, 12:34:26 AM »

PD
Answered.

Take what it is useful for you and leave the rest, and if you leave it all, it is up to you

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »

To be Catholic is not to be afraid of giving reason of our faith.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2010, 12:45:17 AM »

PD
Answered.

Take what it is useful for you and leave the rest, and if you leave it all, it is up to you

It's a really simple question. But w/e. It's not worth asking you a dozen times.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 12:52:01 AM »

To be catholic is to be confident in the promes of the Lord that This church will last to the end of the times.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2010, 12:53:03 AM »

PD
Answered.

It's a really simple question. But w/e. It's not worth asking you a dozen times.

¿What answer would you like to read?

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2010, 01:11:33 AM »

To Be Catholic is to celebrate God as the light of men
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:12:31 AM by Alonso_castillo » Logged

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2010, 01:15:07 AM »

To be Catholic is to be a bit crazy for Jesus and his Church.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2010, 01:17:02 AM »

To Be Catholic is to dance for Him.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2010, 01:18:38 AM »

To be Catholic is to celebrate His Birth.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2010, 01:20:16 AM »

To Be Catholic is to be in communion with the Fathers of the Church, Western and Eastern.

To Be catholic is toMake wonderful things for Our Lord Jesus Christ and His Allmighty Father.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:29:04 AM by Alonso_castillo » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2010, 01:22:37 AM »

PD
Answered.

Well, I was asking you if you were expecting people to agree with what you said in your original post. A simple "yes" or "no" would be the best start.

Alonso_castillo
Elder

Me when younger

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2010, 01:34:57 AM »

PD
Answered.

Well, I was asking you if you were expecting people to agree with what you said in your original post. A simple "yes" or "no" would be the best start.
When speaking about Faith, and personal convictions, can anyone out of God predict something with 100% certainty? Your question then is only rhetorical, but my answer is deeper. Because you are looking for the cause of the thread, not for an answer of your question, at least thats what I think.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2010, 01:40:37 AM »

Basically I'm wondering if it's worth objecting to your claims about the nature of your Church or if you are simply wanting this to be a Roman church fan page of sorts.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2010, 01:48:21 AM »

This is a Greek Catholic Uckrainian Church in Canada

Excepting the issues with the roof, I think it looks great.  Smiley
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2010, 02:28:51 AM »

Saint Peter's in the Vatican.

In the foreground the Russian Orthodox cathedral of Saint Catherine

Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2010, 02:55:48 AM »

Pointless thread is pointless.

I was however pleasantly surprised to see this photo of the interior of the Uspenski (Dormition of the Theotokos) Cathedral in Helsinki.
Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uspenski_Cathedral,_Helsinki

ps
Angry angryface at spellchecker for complaining about "Theotokos"
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:57:13 AM by Robert W » Logged
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2010, 03:15:41 AM »

Isn't this the Melkite church in Harissa, Lebanon?

Are these two churches from Lebanon, too?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2010, 03:42:43 AM »

Nevermind, I tried to post an image, which showed up in the preview, but which won't show up for some reason on the actual thread. *shrugs* Just ignore this.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:43:30 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: