OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 02:03:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Protestant/Evangelical Take on This?  (Read 6509 times) Average Rating: 0
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »

I am just wondering what most Protestants think of this

http://www.chick.com/reading/comics/0114/0114_allinone.asp

I remember growing up Southern Baptist having very many ChickTracts. I also know that very many churches (Baptist at least) pretty much base their theology off of Jack Chick and his publications.

So since I only have one point of view, being from the Baptist side, what do other Protestants think? And for that matter, how does this make Orthodox and Catholics feel?

Just FYI I do not stand by anything this man says or publishes, as I am very happily on my way to chrismation in the Orthodox Church.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »

I actually read that whole thing! My favorite part was the question at the end with the two boxes to check.

"Did you accept Jesus Christ as your own personal Lord and Saviour?

I was thinking it would be really funny to check "No" and then mail it in.
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »

I actually read that whole thing! My favorite part was the question at the end with the two boxes to check.

"Did you accept Jesus Christ as your own personal Lord and Saviour?

I was thinking it would be really funny to check "No" and then mail it in.

LOL I would love to see their response to that!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »

When I was a Roman Catholic, Chick Tracts led to only one thing... laughter.  And possibly wanting to become a Jesuit.  laugh
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:57:24 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »

When I was a Roman Catholic, ChickTracts led to only one thing... laughter.  And possibly wanting to become a Jesuit.  laugh

When I was younger (like 12?) I gave one of my RC friends a tract about if Catholics are really saved, she got pretty mad until she realized I meant it only as a joke. She was tired of all her friends at the Christian school we attended trying to convert her... What can I say? I liked to antagonize people (past tense). Tongue

Check out my blog...
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:45:56 PM »

What's up with the peace sign?  Tongue

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »

What's up with the peace sign?  Tongue

I think it's a lousy attempt to draw the IC XC hand formation that clergy use to bless the faithful.

Either that, or the priest is a hippie.  laugh

(It's kind of confusing as to whether it's supposed to be a Bishop or a Priest. The Vestments are consistent with that of a Bishop, but the miter is wrong.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:03:54 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:25:34 PM »

don't care
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:26:30 PM by mike » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:41:15 PM »

Here are my two all-time-favorites from Jack Chick:

The Death Cookie:  http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp

Dark Dungeons (On Dungeons and Dragons) :  http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

Enjoy  Grin

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »

The Death Cookie:  http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp

Dark Dungeons (On Dungeons and Dragons) :  http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

Enjoy  Grin

LOL "IHS stands for Isis, Horus and Seb, the gods of Egypt."

I feel jipped on the D&D one, I had a level 12 Alchemist and I never learned any real life spells  Angry
[/sarcasm]

Check out my blog...
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 04:51:23 PM »

Took ya'll long enough to reference Dark Dungeons.

For your various entertainment pleasure: http://www.rpglibrary.org/inspiration/darkdungeons/intro.html

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »

What's up with the peace sign?  Tongue

I think it's a lousy attempt to draw the IC XC hand formation that clergy use to bless the faithful.

Either that, or the priest is a hippie.  laugh

(It's kind of confusing as to whether it's supposed to be a Bishop or a Priest. The Vestments are consistent with that of a Bishop, but the miter is wrong.)

It actually might be closer to the Old Believer sign.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:52:49 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 04:53:07 PM »

Jack Chick is lulzy as usual.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »

I remember growing up Southern Baptist having very many ChickTracts. I also know that very many churches (Baptist at least) pretty much base their theology off of Jack Chick and his publications.

So since I only have one point of view, being from the Baptist side, what do other Protestants think? And for that matter, how does this make Orthodox and Catholics feel?

Just FYI I do not stand by anything this man says or publishes, as I am very happily on my way to chrismation in the Orthodox Church.

Wow, that is some serious revisionist history!!!  People actually believe this stuff?  My favorite is that the Jesuits are responsible for World War II.  News to me... Seems like someone ought to inform the media.  I would think that would be major news!

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 10:16:30 AM »

ChickTracts. ... what do other Protestants think?

As far as I recall, I've only come across these tracts once in over 45 years as an Evangelical believer. But I got a six-page letter this morning, asserting that:

Orthodoxy has created a life of its own - rituals, pomp, a glorification of its leaders... When Jesus said "Woe, woe, woe" x 6, 7, 8 times to the leaders of Religion, he would be saying exactly the same thing to the Orthodox. Palaces, pay, pensions, pomp. How many Orthodox still curse the Jews? Russians and Greeks do. The Orthodox Church has replaced the Jews (or tried to). The Church Fathers have glorified themselves and even (as in the case of the Pope) replaced Jesus too! His blood washes away our sins, not a priest's intonations... It was Orthodox Christians who did murders - in every century!! Many people, simple peasants, live in fear of their priests... threats of "non-burials" - excommunication?? I am always "roused to fury" over false priests, cults, and those who put themselves as His representatives. Like David said, "Don't I hate those that hate you?" Because these sham religions take people off the path and into their own "lair" to devour them... The false church is the "whore" of the Beast. Come out of her, says the Lord.

So whoever this fellow Chick is, it seems that his ideas, if not his scribblings, lurk in some corners of dear old Blighty as well as in the USA.

Thought you might be interested in the thoughts of the person who wrote that letter!
 Smiley

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »

As far as I recall, I've only come across these tracts once in over 45 years as an Evangelical believer. But I got a six-page letter this morning, asserting that:

Orthodoxy has created a life of its own - rituals, pomp, a glorification of its leaders... When Jesus said "Woe, woe, woe" x 6, 7, 8 times to the leaders of Religion, he would be saying exactly the same thing to the Orthodox. Palaces, pay, pensions, pomp.

This made me giggle -- if they had any idea how LITTLE our clergy made annually, they would realize that fancy vestments do not a rich man make.

Many people, simple peasants, live in fear of their priests...

It's true, we live in fear of Fr. George, Fr. Chris, Fr. Anastasios and their brute squad showing up on our door and beating us up.  Shocked When you see someone has been "muted" on this site, it's in the most literal of terms.  Wink  laugh  laugh  laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 01:03:09 PM »

The most fun in reading any Jack Chick tract or book is hunting down the citations.  The ones that reference something other than the Bible all lead back to books published by... Chick Publications.  Thank you, Jack Chick, for teaching me the value of reading the bibliography page and researching references.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 10:05:20 PM »

Indeed, that is a very useful thing to learn, Former Reformer.  Smiley

What do I, as an Anglican and History geek think of this?  That it is is full of errors, undocumented and unsupported assertions and Not True.  I could go in analysis mode and start pointing out things that are wrong, but there's so much and some of it is just Jack Chickian same-old-same-old.  I used to collect the booklets for information's sake (and yes, I'll admit for some entertainment value).  I have a first edition of iirc "Dark Dungeons" with the footnote that such evil is from the works of such authors as J.R.R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis.  It has since been removed from later copies.  I've read that Chick put it in because someone told him that it was the case with the those authors, he didn't know them himself and he didn't check to see if it was true.

Just one error, btw, is the bit about changing the presidential inauguration to the west side of the Capitol for Reagan and how that's deeply significant for that president. There was nothing "mystical" or "Babylonian" or related to the RC about it.  I will have to post a supporting link later but it was decided to move to the west side *before* Reagan was even nominated and it was due to such mundane things as there's more room for spectators on the west side since the east side just goes to First Street and there are buildings on the other side such as the Supreme Court and the Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress. 

I wouldn't trust a Jack Chick comic's ideas without checking with *reliable* sources and books put out by that group don't fit that criteria.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »

Way back then, I read (and unfortunately believed for the most part) a lot of Chick tracts and comic books.  These are popular with Pentecostals!

One writer JTC loves to quote is Alexander Hislop and his infamous Two Babylons.  If you want to see the truth butchered with the ax of the unsubstantiated and erroneous, this is a good place to look.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 10:41:59 PM »

Ah yes, Hislop.  I know about his and his book. The last I knew it's even up on line.  It is extremely dated, being put out in book form in 1858 and lacks serious history or scholarship.  It is a work of "conspiracy theory".

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 07:58:08 AM »

Despite the risible style of the tracts, we could continue to consider more seriously what he says and why.

I suspect these tracts are popular at the moment (if indeed they are - and I have no reason to doubt you all) partly because of the current fascination with conspiracy theories of church history, as popularised especially by such writers as Dan Brown ("The da Vinci Code") and a number of others. They appeal to the desire to know things which are being carefully and sinisterly kept secret through the ill-will of powerful people. Linked with all this is the current turning to the late rejected 'gospels' rather than the divinely given canonical ones.

I have not taken the trouble - for the interest is not there - to check the sources and the 'facts' Chick sets before us, but I strongly suspect it is all a mixture of truth and falsehood. There is little to object to in his final conclusion; indeed, a good deal of truth. The truth in the mixture makes the falsehood appealing and credible.

Also, it seems that we could say without undue arrogance that he is not writing for a carefully thinking, seeking public. Let us (for the sake solely of argument) assume for a brief moment that all he writes is true: even then, his would not be the usual or proper route for a sincere seeker after God and truth to come to a knowledge of the truth. His style is directed at the gullible, at those (I suspect) who already wish to be led in that direction, rather than at those who wish to have facts and cogent arguments set before them so that they can prayerfully and humbly reach their own conclusions.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 08:12:48 AM »

Also, it seems that we could say without undue arrogance that he is not writing for a carefully thinking, seeking public. Let us (for the sake solely of argument) assume for a brief moment that all he writes is true: even then, his would not be the usual or proper route for a sincere seeker after God and truth to come to a knowledge of the truth. His style is directed at the gullible, at those (I suspect) who already wish to be led in that direction, rather than at those who wish to have facts and cogent arguments set before them so that they can prayerfully and humbly reach their own conclusions.

I would agree with this. Any credible preacher that I have ever met never tried to win the "hearts and minds" of his audience by spending time putting down the teachings of other religious organizations, but rather focused on the love of Christ, and the life we have through Him.

Having attended several Billy Graham crusades as a kid, I never recall Mr. Graham spending time bashing the Catholic Church or anyone else for that matter. Instead, he spoke of a loving God who wanted to save mankind.

Although I may not agree with all of his theology, I have a much greater admiration and respect for his methods of preaching and teaching than that of Jack Chick.

(As a side note, the only time I have ever encountered Jack Chick tracks have been on online forums such as this.)

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 08:15:17 AM »

(As a side note, the only time I have ever encountered Jack Chick tracks have been on online forums such as this.)

You've never had the pleasure of finding a Chick tract on the back of a commode in a public rest room? Maybe it's a guy thing. Grin

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »

You've never had the pleasure of finding a Chick tract on the back of a commode in a public rest room? Maybe it's a guy thing. Grin
I have seen them a couple times. I usually throw them away.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »

Heh. I have a similar story. My boyfriend and I were walking through a laundromat that sort of serves as a connection between a parking lot and a main street. We saw a few copies of Awake strewn around. To my amusement he nonchalantly picked them up and threw them in the trash.

katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 05:37:26 PM »

One of my favorite Chick tracts is "The Death Cookie"

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp

It's so ridiculous that you are not sure whether to laugh or cry.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:38:16 PM by katherine 2001 » Logged
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »

Wow, that is some serious revisionist history!!!  People actually believe this stuff?  My favorite is that the Jesuits are responsible for World War II.  News to me... Seems like someone ought to inform the media.  I would think that would be major news!

Chick tracts pretty much cater to people who hate anything Catholic.  I'm sure they'd hate anything Orthodox if most of them knew anything about it too--you know, we're just Catholics without the Pope (either that or we are Orthodox Jews).
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 05:43:52 PM »

I would agree with this. Any credible preacher that I have ever met never tried to win the "hearts and minds" of his audience by spending time putting down the teachings of other religious organizations, but rather focused on the love of Christ, and the life we have through Him.

Having attended several Billy Graham crusades as a kid, I never recall Mr. Graham spending time bashing the Catholic Church or anyone else for that matter. Instead, he spoke of a loving God who wanted to save mankind.

Although I may not agree with all of his theology, I have a much greater admiration and respect for his methods of preaching and teaching than that of Jack Chick.

That was my experience too.  With my father being in the military, I attended a lot of Baptist churches, and we never had those in our church, not even the Fundamentalist ones I attended (though I have to say that they seemed to have very similar views on church history).
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »

I love this panel.

"The Illuminati controlling the economy—that's reasonable. But the Vatican too?! You go too far!!"

Cheesy
EmptyBe

Faith: Converting to Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 06:58:21 PM »

Chick tracts are a joke.. They tell no truth and lead anyone who reads them away from the truth. If my first glimpse of Christianity was Chick tracts, I would run! laugh

On a similar subject has anyone heard of one-evil? Google it and go to site if you want a laugh (since I don't think I can post links).

ICXC NIKA,
Matthew
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »

One of my favorite Chick tracts is "The Death Cookie"

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp

It's so ridiculous that you are not sure whether to laugh or cry.
My all time favorite.

DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 08:27:32 PM »

Comic books are the perfect medium for this sort of silliness. Virtually every fact is expressed in such a way that you think he knows better but is deliberately changing the facts to be more sensational.
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 02:59:49 AM »

I laughed so hard when I read my first* Jack Chick tract, until I got to the end and realised that it was not a parody. It took a while for me to accept that people can be this ignorant.

Even though I jump at every opportunity to read one of the tracts (still find them funny) I get offended when people hand them to me on the street. Can you believe that the tracts are so popular that they are translated into Swedish and Finnish?

Reading tip: try to find the one about Islam, you are in for some earth shattering truths!  Cheesy

*) I don't remember if it was the Dark Dungeons one or one of the multitudes bashing Catholicism
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:00:47 AM by Robert W » Logged
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 06:57:32 AM »

I keep planning to carry some Orthodox Christian booklets around (Gillquist's "Finishing the Race" or "Entering God's Kingdom" would be good) and hand them to people who shove Chick's The Death Cookie" in my hand.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 06:59:40 AM »

Reading tip: try to find the one about Islam, you are in for some earth shattering truths!  Cheesy

*) I don't remember if it was the Dark Dungeons one or one of the multitudes bashing Catholicism

I assume you are speaking of when he says that Mohammed was a so-called 'Vatican Agent'?

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 07:03:04 AM »

The sad thing about this whole genre of propaganda (whether the target be Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, blacks, whites, Asians, gays, etc. is that the person who reads and believes the false witness usually has to have an ear for it in the first place and want vindication for their overt or subconscious hate.

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »

Orthodoxy has created a life of its own - rituals, pomp, a glorification of its leaders... When Jesus said "Woe, woe, woe" x 6, 7, 8 times to the leaders of Religion, he would be saying exactly the same thing to the Orthodox. Palaces, pay, pensions, pomp. How many Orthodox still curse the Jews? Russians and Greeks do. The Orthodox Church has replaced the Jews (or tried to). The Church Fathers have glorified themselves and even (as in the case of the Pope) replaced Jesus too! His blood washes away our sins, not a priest's intonations... It was Orthodox Christians who did murders - in every century!! Many people, simple peasants, live in fear of their priests... threats of "non-burials" - excommunication?? I am always "roused to fury" over false priests, cults, and those who put themselves as His representatives. Like David said, "Don't I hate those that hate you?" Because these sham religions take people off the path and into their own "lair" to devour them... The false church is the "whore" of the Beast. Come out of her, says the Lord.

So whoever this fellow Chick is, it seems that his ideas, if not his scribblings, lurk in some corners of dear old Blighty as well as in the USA.

Thought you might be interested in the thoughts of the person who wrote that letter!
 Smiley

Yes. I would like to know who accuses, especially of murder. BTW it is true that Russians are notoriously antisemitic, Orthodox Christianity is not. Some ex-Jews have become Orthodox Christian priests including my own pastor and author James Bernstein. Likewise Orthodox Christians in Greece fought hard to protect their Jewish neighbors from the Nazis

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »

I use to read them alot back when I was little, and over the years I have met people that either read a few or had box loads of them. I have a word of faith protestant friend who is really into Jack Chick. I grew out of it as I got older, but there are alot of people who are really into these tracts.....both young and old. And so, people are needed to spend portions of their free time to help others understand why these tracts are wrong in certain areas. But all that takes time.

Check out this Roman Catholic lay apologist debunking a Jack Chick tract:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHTHS_fpo_A&feature=player_embedded(Are Roman Catholics Christians? 1 of 17)

I think Orthodox Christians should do the samething....what this guy is doing is good and helpful to that Roman Catholic parish.

Christ is in our midst!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 09:22:54 AM »

I use to read them alot back when I was little, and over the years I have met people that either read a few or had box loads of them. I have a word of faith protestant friend who is really into Jack Chick. I grew out of it as I got older, but there are alot of people who are really into these tracts.....both young and old. And so, people are needed to spend portions of their free time to help others understand why these tracts are wrong in certain areas. But all that takes time.

Check out this Roman Catholic lay apologist debunking a Jack Chick tract:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHTHS_fpo_A&feature=player_embedded(Are Roman Catholics Christians? 1 of 17)

I think Orthodox Christians should do the samething....what this guy is doing is good and helpful to that Roman Catholic parish.

Christ is in our midst!

However I do not appreciate Rome's constant underhanded repeated attempts to get Orthodox Christians to embrace the RCC. I would much rather they make an overt demand that we change our teachings in order to rejoin, which is how I answer them.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »

Smiley

Yes. I would like to know who accuses, especially of murder. BTW it is true that Russians are notoriously antisemitic,
more so than the French?

Orthodox Christianity is not. Some ex-Jews have become Orthodox Christian priests including my own pastor and author James Bernstein. Likewise Orthodox Christians in Greece fought hard to protect their Jewish neighbors from the Nazis
and plenty in Ukraine.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »

To the previous poster,
It was not my intention to  dwell too much on cmaprison, but I would say that Russia was more anti-Jewish than France or most Western European countries. But that may be like saying Southerners were more racist towards Blacks than other Americans. No one in question is terribly innocent. My point was more of a declaration about one group than its comparison to another.

Second point,
From what I remember many Ukrainians sided with the Nazis, in their genocide as well as fighting the Red Army.  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:09:18 PM by sprtslvr1973 » Logged

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2010, 10:47:57 PM »

The Death Cookie:   http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp

Dark Dungeons (On Dungeons and Dragons) :  http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

Enjoy  Grin

Death cookie (where he call Christ an idol) is most evil blasphemous Chick tract ever created. Here's two other good ones just for you Papist:

http://www.angelfire.com/on/3angels/nameinvatican.html
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0082/0082_01.asp

the name of every protestant in the world is hidden in the giant Vatican "big computer"!!!  Shocked

former reformer said:
The most fun in reading any Jack Chick tract or book is hunting down the citations.  The ones that reference something other than the Bible all lead back to books published by... Chick Publications.  Thank you, Jack Chick, for teaching me the value of reading the bibliography page and researching references.

YES! So true.

notice btw how he confuses orthodox, Roman catholic, even more traditional protestants such as presbyterians as "Roman catholic" in his tracts overall. So bad...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:51:28 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2010, 10:49:51 PM »

To the previous poster,
It was not my intention to  dwell too much on cmaprison, but I would say that Russia was more anti-Jewish than France or most Western European countries.
I don't think an examination of history will bear that out.
Came across this in the Congressional record (there's also an interesting summary on religious regulation in Russia)

The rule in Russia has always been toleration, though limited by an arrangement which seems to a stranger very peculiar....This regulation seems rather the result, on the whole, of organized indifference than of zeal, its main purpose being undoubtedly to keep down any troublesome religious fervor.  The great body of the Russian peasantry, when left to themselves, seem to be remarkably free from any spirit of fanatical hostility toward religious systems differeing from their own...While some priests have undoubtedly done much to create a more zealous feeling, it was especially noted during the fierce persecution of the Jews early in the present reign [Nicholas II] that in several cases the orthodox village priests not only gave shelter to Israelites seeking to escape harm, but exerted themselves to put an end to the persecutions.  So, too, during the past few days the papers have contained a statement that a priest very widely known and highly esteemed, to whom miraculous powers are quite generally attributed-[St.] Father John, of Cronstadt [sic]-has sent some of the charity money, of which he is almoner, to certain Jewish orphanages under the control of Israelites.
http://books.google.ro/books?id=rHoe7PlyK_YC&pg=PA174&lpg=PA174&dq=John+Cronstadt+Orthodox+Isrealites&source=bl&ots=75uM_s3jxo&sig=wvf3KdN0UJ6ltdHwdyrwO9gWww4&hl=ro&ei=ynb5SviCN8yknQeAkY38DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false
[/quote]

But that may be like saying Southerners were more racist towards Blacks than other Americans.
Not sure that's true. The largest KKK organiazation was the one which ran Indiana.

No one in question is terribly innocent. My point was more of a declaration about one group than its comparison to another.

Second point,
From what I remember many Ukrainians sided with the Nazis, in their genocide as well as fighting the Red Army.  
And France had many collaborators. Btw, the Poles under the Vatican aren't nearly as anti-Semitic as the proud west likes to portray them either. For one thing, Poland is the only country in Europe which never expelled the Jews from its realm.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 07:18:42 AM »

To the previous poster,
It was not my intention to  dwell too much on cmaprison, but I would say that Russia was more anti-Jewish than France or most Western European countries.
I don't think an examination of history will bear that out.
Came across this in the Congressional record (there's also an interesting summary on religious regulation in Russia)

The rule in Russia has always been toleration, though limited by an arrangement which seems to a stranger very peculiar....This regulation seems rather the result, on the whole, of organized indifference than of zeal, its main purpose being undoubtedly to keep down any troublesome religious fervor.  The great body of the Russian peasantry, when left to themselves, seem to be remarkably free from any spirit of fanatical hostility toward religious systems differeing from their own...While some priests have undoubtedly done much to create a more zealous feeling, it was especially noted during the fierce persecution of the Jews early in the present reign [Nicholas II] that in several cases the orthodox village priests not only gave shelter to Israelites seeking to escape harm, but exerted themselves to put an end to the persecutions.  So, too, during the past few days the papers have contained a statement that a priest very widely known and highly esteemed, to whom miraculous powers are quite generally attributed-[St.] Father John, of Cronstadt [sic]-has sent some of the charity money, of which he is almoner, to certain Jewish orphanages under the control of Israelites.
http://books.google.ro/books?id=rHoe7PlyK_YC&pg=PA174&lpg=PA174&dq=John+Cronstadt+Orthodox+Isrealites&source=bl&ots=75uM_s3jxo&sig=wvf3KdN0UJ6ltdHwdyrwO9gWww4&hl=ro&ei=ynb5SviCN8yknQeAkY38DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

But that may be like saying Southerners were more racist towards Blacks than other Americans.
Not sure that's true. The largest KKK organiazation was the one which ran Indiana.

No one in question is terribly innocent. My point was more of a declaration about one group than its comparison to another.

Second point,
And France had many collaborators. Btw, the Poles under the Vatican aren't nearly as anti-Semitic as the proud west likes to portray them either. For one thing, Poland is the only country in Europe which never expelled the Jews from its realm.
[/quote]
Much of Western Europe did and not just in the occupied countries. The UK and the US both had visible Nazi parties at least before the war.
That said, Antisemitism had roots that ran deep in Eastern Europe well before the Second World War. The Tsarist pogroms into Jewish areas such as the Pale are an example. Meanwhile such actions had ceased for a long time in Western Europe.
Poland the 'only' country? I find that a little hard to believe. Please show me where the Netherlands, France, Italy, Greece, and Scandinavian countries all banned Jews. On the contrary I remember Reformation era Netherlands allowing Iberian Jews to settle there (prior to the Reformation the Netherlands had not existed for all intents and purposes).

Lastly, and not that it is ultimately that important to the subject at hand, the era of the KKK that you cited was more xenophobic than racist. Jews and Catholics were seen as a greater threat than blacks were.

MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »

HIlerious insanity.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: