OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:56:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Protestant/Evangelical Take on This?  (Read 5294 times) Average Rating: 0
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »

To the previous poster,
It was not my intention to  dwell too much on cmaprison, but I would say that Russia was more anti-Jewish than France or most Western European countries.
I don't think an examination of history will bear that out.
Came across this in the Congressional record (there's also an interesting summary on religious regulation in Russia)

The rule in Russia has always been toleration, though limited by an arrangement which seems to a stranger very peculiar....This regulation seems rather the result, on the whole, of organized indifference than of zeal, its main purpose being undoubtedly to keep down any troublesome religious fervor.  The great body of the Russian peasantry, when left to themselves, seem to be remarkably free from any spirit of fanatical hostility toward religious systems differeing from their own...While some priests have undoubtedly done much to create a more zealous feeling, it was especially noted during the fierce persecution of the Jews early in the present reign [Nicholas II] that in several cases the orthodox village priests not only gave shelter to Israelites seeking to escape harm, but exerted themselves to put an end to the persecutions.  So, too, during the past few days the papers have contained a statement that a priest very widely known and highly esteemed, to whom miraculous powers are quite generally attributed-[St.] Father John, of Cronstadt [sic]-has sent some of the charity money, of which he is almoner, to certain Jewish orphanages under the control of Israelites.
http://books.google.ro/books?id=rHoe7PlyK_YC&pg=PA174&lpg=PA174&dq=John+Cronstadt+Orthodox+Isrealites&source=bl&ots=75uM_s3jxo&sig=wvf3KdN0UJ6ltdHwdyrwO9gWww4&hl=ro&ei=ynb5SviCN8yknQeAkY38DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

But that may be like saying Southerners were more racist towards Blacks than other Americans.
Not sure that's true. The largest KKK organiazation was the one which ran Indiana.

No one in question is terribly innocent. My point was more of a declaration about one group than its comparison to another.

Second point,
From what I remember many Ukrainians sided with the Nazis, in their genocide as well as fighting the Red Army.  
And France had many collaborators. Btw, the Poles under the Vatican aren't nearly as anti-Semitic as the proud west likes to portray them either. For one thing, Poland is the only country in Europe which never expelled the Jews from its realm.

Much of Western Europe did and not just in the occupied countries. The UK and the US both had visible Nazi parties at least before the war.
That said, Antisemitism had roots that ran deep in Eastern Europe well before the Second World War. The Tsarist pogroms into Jewish areas such as the Pale are an example. Meanwhile such actions had ceased for a long time in Western Europe.
Poland the 'only' country? I find that a little hard to believe. Please show me where the Netherlands, France, Italy, Greece, and Scandinavian countries all banned Jews. On the contrary I remember Reformation era Netherlands allowing Iberian Jews to settle there (prior to the Reformation the Netherlands had not existed for all intents and purposes).

Lastly, and not that it is ultimately that important to the subject at hand, the era of the KKK that you cited was more xenophobic than racist. Jews and Catholics were seen as a greater threat than blacks were.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »

The sad thing is that are still a few people out there who believe this stuff.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
trifon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 03:37:50 AM »

Second point,
From what I remember many Ukrainians sided with the Nazis, in their genocide as well as fighting the Red Army.  
[/quote]
And France had many collaborators. Btw, the Poles under the Vatican aren't nearly as anti-Semitic as the proud west likes to portray them either. For one thing, Poland is the only country in Europe which never expelled the Jews from its realm.
[/quote]
Much of Western Europe did and not just in the occupied countries. The UK and the US both had visible Nazi parties at least before the war.
That said, Antisemitism had roots that ran deep in Eastern Europe well before the Second World War. The Tsarist pogroms into Jewish areas such as the Pale are an example. Meanwhile such actions had ceased for a long time in Western Europe.
Poland the 'only' country? I find that a little hard to believe. Please show me where the Netherlands, France, Italy, Greece, and Scandinavian countries all banned Jews. On the contrary I remember Reformation era Netherlands allowing Iberian Jews to settle there (prior to the Reformation the Netherlands had not existed for all intents and purposes).

Lastly, and not that it is ultimately that important to the subject at hand, the era of the KKK that you cited was more xenophobic than racist. Jews and Catholics were seen as a greater threat than blacks were.

[/quote]

King Christian V (House of Oldenburg) did indeed rescind privileges and dispensation given under his predecessor Christian IV to the Sephardim and later the Askhenazi, in 1687 and banned Jews to Norway.  Also, under the first Norwegian constitution of 1814 (when it was still part of the Kingdom of Denmark, later to enter into 'personal union' with the Swedish monarchy), there was a paragraph which banned both Jesuits and Jews, though I believe it was repealed in 1852 or so only to be re-instated briefly by Vidkun Quisling during the Nazi occupation of Norway.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2010, 03:46:52 AM »

I love this panel.

"The Illuminati controlling the economy—that's reasonable. But the Vatican too?! You go too far!!"

Cheesy

Reminds me of some of the threads on here about Freemasonry.   Cheesy

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 12:48:33 AM »

As a Protestant I say that Jack Chick is a complete goofball.

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: