OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:58:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An orthodox vampire novel!  (Read 926 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr Spyridon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

FrSpyridon
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:32:31 AM »

Has anyone here read "VAMPIRE AD 70"? A number of us at my church have been discussing this book. Despite the theme seeming to be rather un-Orthodox, it is a big surprise. Based at the time of the fall of Jerusalem to the Romans it follows a pagan man's struggle with his world-view when confronted with evil. The vampires are really representing demons in the book. Saint Ignatius of Antioch is one of the main characters, the author uses quotations from his actual writings. I've bought a number of copies of this book for non_orthodox friends and they've all responded positively.
The thing that struck me deepest about this book was the way it gets inside a Roman mind and the reader understands why Christianity was such a threat. I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has read this one.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:33:28 AM by Sub-Deacon Stephen » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »

Found it on amazon.com, but amazon.ca lists only a used copy at $50! Chapters doesn't seem to have it at all. So apparently it's not available here in Canada, but looks like a good read.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »

St. Ignatius AND vampires. Awesome! (I'm thinking that St. Ignatius the Vampire Slayer would be a great character.)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:37:30 PM »

Has anyone here read "VAMPIRE AD 70"? A number of us at my church have been discussing this book. Despite the theme seeming to be rather un-Orthodox, it is a big surprise. Based at the time of the fall of Jerusalem to the Romans it follows a pagan man's struggle with his world-view when confronted with evil. The vampires are really representing demons in the book. Saint Ignatius of Antioch is one of the main characters, the author uses quotations from his actual writings. I've bought a number of copies of this book for non_orthodox friends and they've all responded positively.
The thing that struck me deepest about this book was the way it gets inside a Roman mind and the reader understands why Christianity was such a threat. I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has read this one.

WOW! Awsome!!!! Just what I was looking for! I can't wait to get it!  Grin

Now all we need is one about outer-space! And I'll be good and all set for the winter, and rainy days!

Chhrist is Risen!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:40:03 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »

Eternal City: Confessions of a Vampire
By J William David Kirkpatrick

I have never read this book though I have thought about buying it for my wife who enjoys fiction more than I. This book was recommended on another forum a couple of years ago. It deals with a Russian Prince and his dealing with Angels, Demons, and Vampires!

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/eternal-city-confessions-of-a-vampire/2044830

"It was very different from most books that I have read. I was captivated from the beginning and had to keep turning the pages to find out what happened next.": Reviewer of Eternal City at the 12th Annual International Self-Published Book Awards, Eternal City also receiving perfect scores for its controversial storyline~~~A Russian prince of the nobility enters the world behind the looking-glass of our reality, a reality most of us are glad not to know. He enters the ongoing war between Hell and Heaven, as a conscript. He meets angels and demons, vampire-hunters, and vampires from super-ancient civilizations, long dead and forgotten. He encounters a world of secret societies and of the hidden government of vampires, which put him on trial. He made a bargain for immortality and got what he wanted most; he can live forever--more or less--but he also learns the hardest lesson there is to be learned: you don't dance with the Devil for free"
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 12:58:58 PM »

What??  No vampire romance?  Is outrageous! Wink
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »

What??  No vampire romance?  Is outrageous! Wink

Vampire romance is the outrage!  This sounds like far more fun than the tweeny-twilight excrement that has infected our culture of late, and the best thing to hit vampire fiction since Anne Rice fumbled the ball on her chronicles (Tale of the Body Thief, IMO).

Yes, Dracula and Carmilla were romance (in the old sense), but really Rice kind of ruined the genre for those of us who like our blood sucking demons to be blood sucking demons.  Best modern vampire tale to me would have to have been 'Salem's Lot (not that I don't peek into Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned every now and again).

The combination of Christianity (I'm hoping this does not come with a revisionist taint?) and vampires make this a book I'm gonna have to find.   

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »

Vampire romance is the outrage!  This sounds like far more fun than the tweeny-twilight excrement that has infected our culture of late, and the best thing to hit vampire fiction since Anne Rice fumbled the ball on her chronicles (Tale of the Body Thief, IMO).

Yes, Dracula and Carmilla were romance (in the old sense), but really Rice kind of ruined the genre for those of us who like our blood sucking demons to be blood sucking demons.  Best modern vampire tale to me would have to have been 'Salem's Lot (not that I don't peek into Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned every now and again).

The combination of Christianity (I'm hoping this does not come with a revisionist taint?) and vampires make this a book I'm gonna have to find.   

Well, I'm actually into neither.  If I had to choose I'd definitely go with the traditional blood sucking demons.  I'm more a mystery fan - so if we can insert Miss Marple or Lord Peter Wimsey into a story line I'd get myself a copy.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »

The Adventures of the Sussex Vampire was always one of my favorite Holmes stories, even if it had a Scooby Doo type resolution.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: