Author Topic: New Crusades Movie  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Jakub

• Archon
New Crusades Movie
« on: January 20, 2004, 02:26:10 PM »
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
Re:New Crusades Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 02:33:05 PM »
They refer to 'The Talisman,' which depicts the Muslims as sophisticated and civilized, and the Crusaders are all brutes and barbarians. It has nothing to do with reality."

The reality was they all were brutes and barbarians. ;)
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 07:50:28 PM »
I agree, both sides were uncivilized, but it seems that Saudi money is pouring into the movie industry to misrepresent history as muslims usually do locally.
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline carpo-rusyn

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 07:57:49 PM »
Of course the poor Templars are always the bad guys.  I agree about Guy of Lusignan he was a rather unsavoury character.

Carpo-Rusyn

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 08:09:13 PM »
I wonder how it will play the Orthodox there.  They'll just probably not exist - be replaced by Catholics or whatever.

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 03:57:11 AM »
:). Could be the case, as many in the West don't know about the presence of ancient christian communities in the Middle East.
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline ania

• Life according to Abe Simpson:
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 04:14:54 PM »
Hmmmm... Anyone know what the Orthodox were doing in the Holy Land during the Crusades?  I've never thought about it, just curious...
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Offline ByzantineSerb

• OC.net
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 05:14:32 PM »
The reality was they all were brutes and barbarians. ;)

Granted, the Normans were not the most civilized people on Earth (my great-whatever uncle led a large army in the 1st Crusades).

But I think that the Muslims will try to make Peter the Hermit's Crusade seem like the norm, which would be greatly false.
If we live as people of God, there will be room for all nations in the Balkans and in the world. If we liken ourselves to Cain who killed his brother Abel, then the entire earth will be too small even for two people. The Lord Jesus Christ teaches us to be