OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 12:01:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sermon of St John of San Francisco  (Read 1208 times) Average Rating: 0
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« on: May 05, 2010, 12:16:07 PM »

Is anyone able to translate either of these recordings of St John of San Francisco?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s--yoov4knI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJLiNOLz8uw

Thanks Smiley
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:46:02 PM »

Is anyone able to translate either of these recordings of St John of San Francisco?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s--yoov4knI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJLiNOLz8uw

Thanks Smiley

In the first recording, St. John talks about a newly dedicated church building. He says that this new building is very beautiful, but that the true meaning of earthly church buildings is to remind us, humans, that over there, in the future Kingdom of God, the beauty will be beyond comparison greater.

In the second recording, he congratulates his listeners with the Day of All Saints of the Land of Rus', and praises St. Vladimir (Volodymyr) and St. Olga (Ol'ha) as the two Equal-To-The-Apostles founders of the Church in Rus'.

Interestingly, Vladyka's pronounciation of Russian words is very peculiar. He does not roll the "r"s the way most contemporary Russians do - his "r"s are closer to French. That might be a result of his childhood and youth spent in small, closed elite military institutions where the students picked up a very aristocratic Russian of their teachers-officers of the Tsarist army, who, in turn, were influenced by their French "gouverneurs." 

Love never fails.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »

Thank you so much!

I have read that Vladyka had a speech impediment, but that's interesting info about the different accents. Maybe that is the reason.

Ah, I need to learn Russian.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »

St. John also spent several years in Paris as a parish priest.  I'll have to listen in on these as soon as I get to a computer with speakers. Smiley  St. John is quickly becoming one of my favorite saints.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »

St. John also spent several years in Paris as a parish priest.

That could be another reason why he pronounced his "r"s like a Frenchman. However, it could be his training at the artillery school (I believe he graduated from an artillery school in ~1915-6). Among army officers in the former Russian Empire, it was considered "chic" to pronounce "r"s French way, closer to 'g" than to 'r." In Tolstoy's "War and Peace," there is one very colorful hero, a Hussar (light cavalry) officer called Vasiliy Denisov, who speaks like that. Denisov addressed his servant, whose name was Lavr, as "Lavgushka."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:23:00 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »

Fascinating to him speaking! I see exactly what you mean about his accent, Heorhij! Actually, the way he pronounces his r's reminds me of my own embarrassingly bad accent when speaking Russian. Nice to know one is in such good company. Smiley

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 05:54:50 PM »

Fascinating to him speaking! I see exactly what you mean about his accent, Heorhij! Actually, the way he pronounces his r's reminds me of my own embarrassingly bad accent when speaking Russian. Nice to know one is in such good company. Smiley

In Vladyka's Russian, "v khoGoshej kompanii." Smiley

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »

In Vladyka's Russian, "v khoGoshej kompanii." Smiley

Smiley That is so true! I can just imagine him saying that!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Radost

Faith: seeking

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 09:55:46 PM »

Thank you for sharing, Heorhij, about St. John's first speech.  I wish I could of known him...especially since he ws right there in California..so close to where I live!   It is true that beautiful buildings...the purpose should be to remind us of the One who is truly with us forever. 
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »

Many of St John's sermons have been reproduced in English in books such as Man of God: St John of Shanghai and San Francisco which should be readily available. I would have been happy to check my copy of this book to see if these sermons were there, but I recently lent the book to a friend.  Embarrassed
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: