Author Topic: March 2010 Post of the Month!  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
March 2010 Post of the Month!
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
(Dateline: OC.net Palace)  During a rousing chorus of "Name that obscure language that we just sang 'Christ is Risen' in," the distinctive sound of trumpeting overhead startled the assembled Administrators and Global Moderators who were playing the game in the Tertiary Reserve Alternate Backup Gameroom in the Palace/Brewpub.  Rushing up the scores of staircases to see what caused the commotion, they finally reached the main level of the Palace (after 30 hard days of stair climbing) to be reminded that they had scheduled the trumpeters in advance for their announcement of the March Post of the Month.  Being embarrassed by the delay in the announcement that their game had caused, they proceeded to the balcony, and after procuring twice the usual number of trumpeters, and making sure that the Palace Guard had cordoned off all the fruit vendors, they proclaimed per usual:

"We are pleased to announce and acclaim, for a contribution to OC.net worthy of the public's attention,

GabrieltheCelt

for this gem:

Just as there are many folks who deny God, there are just as many reasons as to why.  Here are a few that come to mind;

1.  Sometimes people look to Christianity as a talisman or good luck charm and when it doesn't deliver, they lose heart and leave. 

2.  Sometimes the company we keep can slowly chip away at our faith.  Peer pressure, via our friends and colleagues, really do have an influence over us.

3.  I've come to suspect that there's a correlation between a person's childhood and their weltanschauung.  As one example, a person who grew up with parents who professed a loving God, but who were ill-tempered and quick to administer punishment, might grow up rebelling Christianity, when in fact, they're actually (and subconsciously) rebelling against their harsh upbringing.  To an extent, this was my particular case when I left Christianity years ago.  Once I discovered the true reason for my rebellion, I was able to work through a lot of problems.  I still have some things to work through (I think my temper probably comes to mind)...

4.  Pride and other illnesses of the heart.

5.  Perhaps the most important and overarching reason?  Satan himself.  Let us pray to never forget that he roars like a lion, roaming the earth looking for souls to devour (1 Peter 5:8 ).  Brothers and sisters, truly, though he cannot read our minds (thank God!), he knows our weaknesses and uses them to break us.
"

And the crowd, startled from their month-long nap while anticipating the Post of the Month announcement, remembered to then exclaim:

AXIOS!  AXIOS!  AXIOS!
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
Re: March 2010 Post of the Month!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »
Axios Indeed!

(and a big "kudos" to you, Father, for the amusing write-up!  :laugh: )
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:13:15 PM »
Axios!  Axios!  Axios!

Gabriel the OC.net contributor!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:21:53 PM »
Axios! Axios! Axios!

Congrats :)
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:48:41 PM »
AXIOS!
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »
AXIOS! AXIOS! Worthy! Worthy!  :)

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:27:54 PM »
AXIOS!

I guessed Kyrgyz, but I was wrong.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:28:39 PM by ytterbiumanalyst »
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 03:38:42 PM »
A good one, Gabriel!

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 03:42:51 PM »
AXIOS!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline lubeltri

• Latin Catholic layman
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
Axios!

Thanks, reverend Fathers, for highlighting this post, or I would have missed it.

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »
Excellent post from Gabriel, as usual. :)

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:22:56 AM »
Axios
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »
Though I don't deserve it, I want to thank you regardless, brothers and sisters.  :)
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 01:41:03 PM »
Axios, dear brother!
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +