OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:44:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Heritage: Periodical  (Read 1324 times) Average Rating: 0
DeathToTheWorld

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: May 04, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »

I just received my first issues of Orthodox Heritage.

I find it to be really great.

Its a periodical for watchful Christians, who wish to be vigilant, just how Christ told us to be.

I found some of the articles to be very interesting.

The name says it all, 'Orthodox Heritage'.

Here is where it is:

http://members.cox.net/orthodoxheritage/index.htm

Here is an example of what you receive when you subscribe for it:

MESSAGE OF THE MONTH

(April 2010)

The Resurrection of Christ is the Annihilation of Death

By Protopresbyter Fr. George Metallinos, Dean of the Athens University School of Theology

The Resurrection of Christ is the most significant event to take place in History. It is the event that differentiates Christianity from every other religion. Other religions have mortal leaders, whereas the Head of the Church is the Resurrected Christ.

Resurrection of Christ implies the deification and the resurrection of human nature, and the hope for deification and resurrection of our own hypostasis. Since the medicine has been discovered, then there is hope for life.

Through Christ’s Resurrection, both life and death take on a new meaning. “Life” now means communion with God. “Death” is no longer the end of this present lifetime, but the distancing of man from Christ. The separation of the soul from the mortal body is no longer seen as “death”; it is only a temporary slumber.

It is Christ’s Resurrection, which justifies His uniqueness and exclusiveness, as the Saviour Who is able to truly vitalize us and transfuse His death-defeating life into our perishable lives. Christ is one; the Resurrection is one; and the possibility for salvation-deification is also one. This is why our expectation to transcend all the impasses that muddle our lives is oriented towards Christ; to the Christ of the saints; to the Christ of history.

The distorted “Christ” found in heresies or the “relativized” Christ found in the religious syncretism of the new-age pan-religion constitute a rejection of the real Christ, as well as the salvation offered by Him.

The Christ of our saints is also the Christ of History, and He rules out every possibility of confusing Him with all the other redemptive substitutes invented for misleading the masses; because that is the only way deception can maintain something fraudulent: by facilitating the dominion of antichrist powers (which may quite easily have infiltrated even the Church); powers, which albeit spread death in their path, nevertheless can appear as “angels of light” and “deacons of justice.”

When studying the experience of our saints, we become aware that there are no existences as tragic as those “who have no hope”—hope for resurrection—inasmuch as they regard biological death as destruction and the end. Unfortunately, science has also succumbed to this tragic state, by desperately seeking methods for prolonging man’s lifespan and by conveying the illusion of being able to overcome natural death. However, equally tragic are those—even Christians—who become entrapped in “hermetically tight” Chiliast visions of universal bliss and mundane eschatology (thus losing the true meaning of the Resurrection) and sacrificing the hyper-cosmic to the endo-cosmic; the eternal to the transient.

The Resurrection of Christ as the resurrection of man and all of Creation acquires a meaning only in the framework of patristic soteriology; in other words, in the co-crucifixion and the co-resurrection with Christ. This is the way that Hellenism also preserved the Resurrection during its historical course. Forever faithful to the Resurrection of Christ, Orthodoxy has been characterized as “Church of the Resurrection,” because it is on the Resurrection that it structures its entire historical presence, grafting the resurrectional hope into the conscience of peoples; a fact that is revealed in their cultural continuance.

Among them, the Hellenic people also learnt to dispel—in the light of the Resurrection—the darkness that permeated their years of slavery (as was the Turkish occupation) during which, they would not hesitate, on wishing each other “Christ is Risen!” to add: “and Hellas is risen!” And they preserved this, for a full four hundred years…

It is within this notional framework that the hope-filled invitation of Come forth and receive Light! is contained. It is an invitation to the resurrectional, uncreated Light, which is bestowed only on those who have cleansed their heart of vices and passions. Without the “catharsis” of the heart—in other words, repentance—one cannot commune with the Light of the Resurrection. Repentance is the transcending of sin, the cause of our death.

This is the fact that we are constantly reminded of, by the peculiar (to the uninitiated ear) monastic saying: If you die before you die, then you will not die when you die!

Christ is Risen!

100. Like a bee one should extract from each of the virtues what is most profitable. In this way, by taking a small amount from all of them, one builds up from the practice of the virtues a great honeycomb overflowing with the soul-delighting honey of wisdom.

St Gregory of Sinai
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »

Under which jurisdiction does the Brotherhood of St. Poimen fall under?

They claim to be Greek Orthodox, but I don't see any endorsement/affiliation with the Ecumenical Patriarch. Are they under the GOA? Under which Episcopacy are they under the guidance of?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
DeathToTheWorld

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »

They claim to be Greek Orthodox, but I don't see any endorsement/affiliation with the Ecumenical Patriarch. Are they under the GOA? Under which Episcopacy are they under the guidance of?

A reasonable question,  I think its because they don't agree Ecumenism(who is dull enough to agree with the founding of a lie?). That's my guess.

It does not matter, whoever they are under, all that matters is that they give us truth.

I or you should e-mail them.

They are posted on this web page

http://stjrussianorthodox.com/organizations.htm

Here is what they are for:

Orthodox Heritage - a monthly periodical whose emphasis is on Orthodox education, spirituality, sacramental living (as taught by the Orthodox Church and Her Holy Fathers), heretical / ecumenical awareness, prophecies by Orthodox Saints, and Holy Tradition. It is sponsored by the Greek Orthodox Brotherhood of St. POIMEN, a laity group, whose aim is focused on defending traditional Orthodoxy and also providing spiritual as well as material almsgiving.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:03:29 PM by DeathToTheWorld » Logged

100. Like a bee one should extract from each of the virtues what is most profitable. In this way, by taking a small amount from all of them, one builds up from the practice of the virtues a great honeycomb overflowing with the soul-delighting honey of wisdom.

St Gregory of Sinai
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »

Fwiw, when I did an interenets search, I found a link to them listed on several GOA parish websites. But I also saw them referenced on Serbian, Carpatho-Russian, etc. websites as well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:49:20 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
DeathToTheWorld

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »

Christ said, 'Whoever is not with me is against me'.

These people are obviously with Christ. And they are Greek Orthodox. I don't need a dictator to tell me my hand from my foot.

St Gregory of Sinai
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:28:57 AM »

These people are obviously with Christ. And they are Greek Orthodox. I don't need a dictator to tell me my hand from my foot.

Christ established One Bride and One Church. You either believe that the Orthodox Church (which the Ecumenical Patriarch is a part of) is the true Church or you don't. So yes, who they are affiliated with IS important.

If they are not in communion with His All Holiness, then they are not part of the Orthodox Church. They are a schismatic group who is not interested in proclaiming THE truth; they are interested in proclaiming THEIR truth.

His All Holiness is not a dictator; he is a Bishop in Christ's Holy Church, and is to be respected as such.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:47:23 AM »

I don't need a dictator to tell me my hand from my foot.

What's that supposed to mean?
DeathToTheWorld

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:51:49 AM »

Christ established One Bride and One Church. You either believe that the Orthodox Church (which the Ecumenical Patriarch is a part of) is the true Church or you don't. So yes, who they are affiliated with IS important.

If they are not in communion with His All Holiness, then they are not part of the Orthodox Church. They are a schismatic group who is not interested in proclaiming THE truth; they are interested in proclaiming THEIR truth.

His All Holiness is not a dictator; he is a Bishop in Christ's Holy Church, and is to be respected as such.

But why is Bartholomew committing spiritual fornication with the Pope?

I respect him in all, but will we keep respecting him if he bows down to the Anti-Christ?

The Holy Elders of our days tell us that the infiltration of the church will be an internal infiltration,

The Devil will work from behind the altar.

So what if Bartholomew accepted gay people?

Would you still be submissive to our Holiness?

If he supported abortion would you accept him?

St Gregory of Sinai
DeathToTheWorld

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:53:30 AM »

We are all one body and members one of another.

Even if the Brotherhood does not affiliate themselves with the Patriarch, they are still a part of the body.

Read this:

1 Corinthians 12
Spiritual Gifts: Unity in Diversity

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that[a] you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Unity and Diversity in One Body

12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into[c] one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.
15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18 But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. 19 And if they were all one member, where would the body be?
20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best[d] gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:00:37 AM by DeathToTheWorld » Logged

St Gregory of Sinai
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »

I can’t say that I agree.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:43:09 AM »

We are all one body and members one of another.

I notice that verse 15 from 1 Corinthians 12 was not bolded, which was what you originally cited?  Your argument is that the Brotherhood of St. Poimen is important to the overall life and work of the Church.  So is the Orthodox Christian Laity.  So is OCANews.org, So is Pokrov.org, So are the Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, etc.  When you cite 1 Corinthians 12, you are assuming that all of these bodies are in Communion with the Orthodox Church; however, the mere establishing of a corporation does not make that corporate body a member of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Verse 26 makes it clear that there are no such things as "individual" Christians. (Footnotes in Page 1566 of Orthodox Study Bible)

Even if the Brotherhood does not affiliate themselves with the Patriarch, they are still a part of the body.

What do you think is the "body?"  Is it the Church?  Is it some other entity?  What if you have two (or more) entities that claim to be members of the same body?   Huh
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 01:47:33 AM »

So what if Bartholomew accepted gay people?

Thread locked pursuant to the current moratorium on discussing homosexuality.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: