OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:09:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First confession  (Read 2535 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: May 09, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »

Do you have this in the USA?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »

It looks like the picture has been deleted. It showed a group if children in a day of their first confession in a Church in Krynica Zdrój in Poland. They were all dressed like those RCC children that go for their first Communion (white dresses, suits etc.).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »

My Church had this. I don't know how common it is. I always wonder if it all started with Orthodox girls saying, "Mommy, when do I get to wear a pretty white dress like the Catholic girls?"

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »

Our church does the same thing.  However, we do stress not to go "overboard" with the outfits, so the kids don't miss the whole point of their First Confession.

They go to preparatory classes for weeks, they walk through the steps and they learn to do good deeds and how to notice when they sin...because too many people sin without even noticing that they've done something wrong.

Here's my little niece and goddaughter Lily with her friend Sophia.  The two girls had their First Holy Confession on Palm Sunday.  Both wore white, and the Orthodox League purchased wrist corsages for them to wear.  We were honored to have His Grace, Bishop Daniel, visiting our parish on Palm Sunday...so the girls' First Confession truly was memorable!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:44 AM »

Never mind read the title  wrong... Grin
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:07:54 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:03:39 AM »

LizaSymonenko, I have never seen a bishop's vestments like that before. Is that typical of Ukrainian bishops?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 05:02:19 AM »

My 8 year old daughter went to her first confession during lent. Her sunday school class (which is during matins) went over a lesson block about confession and I took her to the catechism class on confession that our priest teaches. As a gift of sorts we bought her an icon bracelet as more of a recognition then a reward. She was pretty scared of going to confession for the first time. Her godmother went with her and walked her thru it with the priest. I had the option of taking her myself, but I recall being 8 very well- if I had been going to confession at that age I would not want my mom there. Wink Most of my confession would have been about being annoyed with her! Hopefully my daughter and I have a better relationship, but in any case I thought her confession should not involve me.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »

LizaSymonenko, I have never seen a bishop's vestments like that before. Is that typical of Ukrainian bishops?

Not sure what you are asking.  Typical how?  Color, fabric, style?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:01:22 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »

Sorry. I mean the floral designs and the multiple icons all around the mitre like that. It looks completely unique to me, and I was curious if all Ukrainian bishops look that way when they are vested.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 01:55:22 PM »

The Miter crown has handsewn ikon's, on it ,vestments have handsewn grape clusters /wheat stalks,  very fine ukrainian handcraft ,possably done by nuns in a convent.....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 01:57:57 PM »

...actually, yes!   Smiley

They have more subtle vestments - depending on the occasion, as well.  

However, usually they are embellished with flowers, grapes, vines, and other motifs.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 11:59:08 PM »

Holy Smokes! Did anybody else notice how beautiful that chalice is? That thing must have cost...well I don't want to know, I'm sure... Anyway, I would love to learn more about Ukrainian customs and traditions that are perhaps unique to them out of all of the churches, if other examples exist.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:59:17 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 12:21:10 AM »

The Miter crown has handsewn ikon's, on it ,vestments have handsewn grape clusters /wheat stalks,  very fine ukrainian handcraft ,possably done by nuns in a convent.....

And  not mentioning the beautiful  easter eggs that our ukrainian orthodox bothers,and sisters create around pacha wow....

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 12:45:05 AM »

In my parish, children go for their first Holy Confession at the age of 7 on the eve of Pentecost. On Pentecost, the girls dress in white dresses and the boys in Navy suits, and go up for their "First Holy Communion After Confession."

For the school year leading up to their First Holy Confession, the children receive intense catechism, and are taught how to pray, what sin is, etc. Although catechism continues through High School, I remember that year being particularly intense.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 12:53:59 AM »

Sorry. I mean the floral designs and the multiple icons all around the mitre like that. It looks completely unique to me, and I was curious if all Ukrainian bishops look that way when they are vested.

Embroidery is a point of national pride among Ukrainians, so you will often see a lot more embroidery in our priests vestments, altar cloths, etc., than you would in a non-Ukrainian parish.

When we find something we're good at, we like to show it off. A lot.  Grin  laugh

Here are a couple more pictures of our Bishop's at the recent ordination of Father Deacon James Cairns to the Deaconate.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »

If you look behind Father Deacon James, you will see the cloth with the body of Christ has been hand embroidered. Also you get a clear shot of the chalice in this pic.

Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 03:07:58 AM »

Holy Smokes! Did anybody else notice how beautiful that chalice is? That thing must have cost...well I don't want to know, I'm sure... Anyway, I would love to learn more about Ukrainian customs and traditions that are perhaps unique to them out of all of the churches, if other examples exist.

The vestments and chalice seem fairly unremarkable to me.  That isn't to say that they are not very beautiful because they are clearly the result of great work and dedication as an offering to God.  I mean they are unremarkable in the sense that they don't seem unusual.  Perhaps it is because I often watch videos of excerpts from Orthodox services on Youtube but I have seen many bishops, priests, and deacons wearing vestments with heavy floral and other embroidery.  In my mind I associate it with Greek vestments but it seems they are prevalent in the Ukraine as well.  As for enamelled chalices, like enamelled crosses, fans, or indeed enamelled anything, they can be quite pricey.

In Christ,
Michael

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 10:37:06 AM »

Perhaps I'm only impressed because our parish has nothing! Well, we have His Body and Blood, so we have everything, but certainly none of the high dollar stuff.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 11:41:03 AM »

Perhaps I'm only impressed because our parish has nothing! Well, we have His Body and Blood, so we have everything, but certainly none of the high dollar stuff.

It will come in time. My parish is 100 years old. In order to get to the point we are at, my Great-Grandmother and other members of the Ladies Auxiliary would go from door to door collecting nickels. My Grandmother said that when she was a child, there were no cash donations because people were too poor. Since her father was treasurer of the church, she would help him roll all the coins to take to the bank every week.

That's how it started.

One day, your parish will be decorated like all the other 100+ year old parishes are today. Have faith. Smiley

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 11:55:51 AM »

Indeed. And that's what maters.

As for the pics: They look very nice but normal. That chalice can't cost more than $1,200. It's not solid gold or anything. You could probably even pick it up for 600 euros in the ecclesiastical market area of Thessaloniki.

My favorite liturgical item is the mid-sixth century solid silver discos (paten) from the Holy Sion collection at Dumbarton Oaks. Talk about fine handiwork! It's also nearly two feet in diameter, big enough for a seriously large amount of bread for communion. Also, pretty heavy to carry for the deacon! Here's a high-res pic:

http://museum.doaks.org/VieO27039?sid=3307&x=912991

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 12:13:16 PM »

Indeed. And that's what maters.

As for the pics: They look very nice but normal. That chalice can't cost more than $1,200. It's not solid gold or anything. You could probably even pick it up for 600 euros in the ecclesiastical market area of Thessaloniki.

My favorite liturgical item is the mid-sixth century solid silver discos (paten) from the Holy Sion collection at Dumbarton Oaks. Talk about fine handiwork! It's also nearly two feet in diameter, big enough for a seriously large amount of bread for communion. Also, pretty heavy to carry for the deacon! Here's a high-res pic:

http://museum.doaks.org/VieO27039?sid=3307&x=912991

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

It sort of breaks my heart when I see such beautiful items in a museum instead of being used in a parish, but hopefully God uses these items to teach the world about our faith.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 12:25:11 PM »

The vestments and chalice seem fairly unremarkable to me.  That isn't to say that they are not very beautiful because they are clearly the result of great work and dedication as an offering to God.  I mean they are unremarkable in the sense that they don't seem unusual.  Perhaps it is because I often watch videos of excerpts from Orthodox services on Youtube but I have seen many bishops, priests, and deacons wearing vestments with heavy floral and other embroidery.  In my mind I associate it with Greek vestments but it seems they are prevalent in the Ukraine as well.  As for enamelled chalices, like enamelled crosses, fans, or indeed enamelled anything, they can be quite pricey.

In Christ,
Michael

Grammar police:   It's not THE Ukraine.....just Ukraine.....so the correct use of grammar would state "prevalent in Ukraine, as well".

I'm just saying....
 Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »

As others have said, it will come.  My parish until last summer worshipped in a basement for 13 years that had been converted into a miniature Orthodox chapel. Our iconostas was made out of MDF and many things were makeshift.  The vestments and hangings were inherited from a parish that closed years ago but they were mostly hand-made by parishioners of that parish.  We don't really have glitzy stuff.  It's only recently we have started having people give such things to us.  We're still getting accustomed to having the space to actually do the services properly.  This is gift enough for us, and whatever else comes, we thank God for.  In the meanwhile, rubrical obsessives like me live on Youtube.  Cheesy

In Christ,
Michael

Grammar police:   It's not THE Ukraine.....just Ukraine.....so the correct use of grammar would state "prevalent in Ukraine, as well".

I'm just saying....
 Wink

It seems I can't do right.  Cheesy

No matter what I say on this point, somebody corrects me in the opposite direction.  From now on, I shall avoid the problem altogether by referring to the country as "the land of master embroiderers".  This should keep everybody happy.

In Christ,
Me

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:05 PM »

I like that!

..but, trust me...it's just "Ukraine".

Just like you wouldn't say "the" America, "the" Uraguay, "the" Uganda, etc.  Just because the name of a country starts with a vowel, doesn't mean it is preceded with a "the".

"The" United States (because it is a conglomerate of states), but, not "the" Utah (which is a single state).

Make sense?

—St. Isaac of Syria
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »

Oh, I understand the point.  It wasn't about vowels for me but rather that I had been told to call it "The Ukraine", and as some country and other place names begin with "The", it didn't sound strange to me.  After all, we refer to "The Netherlands" and "The Congo" (although the latter is an abbreviation).  You wouldn't say "I visited Netherlands" or "I know someone from Congo".  To someone who doesn't know, "The Ukraine" sounds as though it could be the right name without being grammatically incorrect.

M

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »

Yes, I can see the confusion.

However, as a general rule "the" precedes a name which is a "union" of multiple lands.  The Soviet Union.

From Wikipedia:  the Congo is a traditional name for the region of equatorial Middle Africa that lies between the Gulf of Guinea and the African Great Lakes. It contains some of the largest tropical rainforests in the world. Roughly it[clarification needed] should be Congo river basin, but political and historical (tribal) differences may occur.

The Netherlands comprise various "lands" such as Zeeland, Gelerland, Gromingen, etc.  However, if stating the one country, it is usually termed as Holland.

Therefore, "the" is utilized because it points to a "union" of various lands, and not an independent country or state.

Done beating this dead horse!

Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »

I like that!

..but, trust me...it's just "Ukraine".

Just like you wouldn't say "the" America, "the" Uraguay, "the" Uganda, etc.  Just because the name of a country starts with a vowel, doesn't mean it is preceded with a "the".

"The" United States (because it is a conglomerate of states), but, not "the" Utah (which is a single state).

Make sense?
Someone has to ask this. So which is it?
The United States IS south of Canada.
or
The United States ARE north of Mexico.

Now, just to try to bring this back on topic, it won't be my first, but will I need to go to confession for stirring the pot Cheesy ?
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9C05E4DB1039E033A25757C2A9609C94649ED7CF

ONE MUST SAY THE UNITED STATES ARE; To Say "Is" May Be Admirable in Sentiment, but It Is Ungramatical.

So, the United States are north of Mexico and are south of Canada.

Grin

—St. Isaac of Syria
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »

The United States are the best country in the world!

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »

LOL!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 05:54:24 PM »

LOL!

"is" here is being used in the sense of the singular yet plural sense. The united States is - the name is PLURAL, but it refers to ONE thing... such as vous in French Smiley
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »

LOL!

"is" here is being used in the sense of the singular yet plural sense. The united States is - the name is PLURAL, but it refers to ONE thing... such as vous in French Smiley
Oui, mon ami, vous avez raison. But... vous takes plural verb forms.
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 08:29:38 PM »

Yes, the states are plural, but reffering to ONE thing of great admiration or respect.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: