OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 06:22:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning Greek for the Liturgy.  (Read 1567 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr Spyridon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

FrSpyridon
« on: May 04, 2010, 03:59:41 PM »

Hello to all, just found this site and I am very pleased that I have.
I am to be ordained Deacon ina few months and am having trouble learning Greek. Does anyone know of sites where parts of the Liturgy may be downloaded for learning? I am presently struggling my way through the Lord's Prayer and must soon look at the Small Litany in Greek. I have bought a few useful resources, but can anyone suggest a book that specifically focusses on Liturgical Greek?
I may simply ask our priest if I can record him in church, but any help would be most welcome.
Stephen.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 04:26:26 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »

Congratulations on your up-coming ordination Smiley I think there's a recording of the Divine Liturgy on the goarch.org website. You can also find the Greek text of the Liturgy there. I'd recommend just listening and reading along. It's just a case of memorisation and getting the pronuniation right.

If you want to actually learn the language, I'm not sure there are any books specifically on liturgical Greek. Jeremy Duff's Elements of NT Greek and the Cambridge Reading (Ancient) Greek: Grammar and Exercises are both excellent.
Fr Spyridon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

FrSpyridon
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:27:20 PM »

Thank you for both the welcome and the pointer to the site. I'm off to follow it up.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: