OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 05:13:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Did God Create Man?  (Read 1609 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: May 04, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »

Why did God create man? According to my understanding of Orthodox theology, God didn't need anything, and certainly not anything that man could provide. Did he want something then? Or was it just a natural* consequence of having attributes such as love?

* And can we speak of something "natural" in He Who is by definition all-supernatural?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:10:10 PM »

Delete. Forgot that this was a faith issues sub forum.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:22:57 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Fr Spyridon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

FrSpyridon
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »

Don't the fathers teach us that we are created to experience the joy of knowing and worhipping God. In His love He created us in His image that His infinite love and goodness may be in us so that we may love Him and oneanother.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:13:31 AM »

Well, God is by nature Creator, so that's one side of things, is that He likes to create.

The other side is love of course, where he wants his creation to know they exist, and appreciate their existence.

And then of course, because of love, He also like to maintain a communicative relationship with us, so not only are we appreciative, but we are appreciative through His grace, knowing we exist from and through Him.

An example of such appreciation can be found in the Coptic Gregorian liturgy:  "You are not in need of our worship, but we are in need of Your Lordship."

So why did God create?  Because He is Pantocrator and Philanthropic.  So it is a "natural" consequence so to speak.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
DeathToTheWorld

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:30:51 AM »

Professor Father Dumitru Staniloa tells us that the reason for man is love, man is created as a object for God's love.

Read and watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQcdBa2CFew

100. Like a bee one should extract from each of the virtues what is most profitable. In this way, by taking a small amount from all of them, one builds up from the practice of the virtues a great honeycomb overflowing with the soul-delighting honey of wisdom.

St Gregory of Sinai
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »

Why does the Creator create? Roll Eyes

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:45:03 AM »

Why does the Creator create?

Interesting question. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:48:07 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:08:12 AM »

Why does the Creator create? Roll Eyes

Isn't that like asking why does a computer compute?  Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
DeathToTheWorld

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »

Why does the Creator create?

Interesting question. Any thoughts?

That professor in that video i linked tells us that the reason why man exists is because of love, man is a target for God's love.

I don't remember where, but somewhere in scriptures is says that everything was made for God.

Watch that video.

The one single question that blows my mind 1,000,000,000 light years away.

Is not really why does He create, but  how is it that God even exists in the first place?

How does God exist? How does creation exist? That's what blows me away...

I think about man, how man was made in the image and likeness of the unoriginate God, and I marvel when I think about how my spirit, my reasoning faculty, the soul, actually came from the unoriginate God.

And I think about how much different my spirit is from that unoriginateness, the Pantocrator.

I realize that if my sin, my darkness was gone, I would be in perfect Theosis with Him.

Then I realize how God is Jesus Christ. And it blows my mind even more.

Remember these words though:

Psalm 131:1
Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.

I think that David is warning us about thinking to much about these things.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:26:55 AM by DeathToTheWorld » Logged

100. Like a bee one should extract from each of the virtues what is most profitable. In this way, by taking a small amount from all of them, one builds up from the practice of the virtues a great honeycomb overflowing with the soul-delighting honey of wisdom.

St Gregory of Sinai
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: