OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 08:37:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics who Converted to Orthodoxy  (Read 3992 times) Average Rating: 0
militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« on: May 03, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »

Has anyone here converted from a practicing Catholic to an Orthodox Christian? If so, would you mind sharing your story?

Thank you,
Lawrence

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:14:32 AM »

It looks like its a lot of people have looked at your question but have not responded.  I know there are some on this site that have and maybe they will respond shortly.  I have not converted yet but I believe its only a matter of time..............! Smiley  Are you looking for a general stories or something in particular?
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:26:35 AM »

Has anyone here converted from a practicing Catholic to an Orthodox Christian? If so, would you mind sharing your story?

Thank you,
Lawrence

Christ is risen!

There are a number of us here in the situation you have mentioned. I will share my story, but sadly, I must finish final exams first. Undecided

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:30:38 AM »

I was raised a Papist who went through many flavors of Protestantism starting in my teenage years, moving from Southern Baptist to 5-point Calvinism to Apathetic to Emergent to Textual Biblical Criticism to Disillusion and borderline Agnosticism to Despondency to cut-your-flesh-and-worship-Satan Black Metal (Antaeus anyone?) at the very precipice of the Great Void of the Evil One to Holy Orthodoxy. I think I've settled down for good.

So I was raised in one of the Vatican's parishes, but I didn't have time to properly understand it before I left as a teen.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:31:08 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
brittrossiter

Jurisdiction: OCA

jasonrossiter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:24:21 AM »

I too was raised in the Roman church, and spent a fair deal of time in prayer and discernment over the past few years before deciding to come home to Orthodoxy. 
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:32 PM »

I too was raised in the Roman church, and spent a fair deal of time in prayer and discernment over the past few years before deciding to come home to Orthodoxy. 

brittrossiter,
Thank you for responding. Do you have a conversion story you could share? Or if you don't would you mind summarizing your journey? I'm very interested in reading stories of those who went through (or are going through) what I am going through.

Thank you.

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:54:42 PM »

Thank you,
Lawrence

Christ is risen!

There are a number of us here in the situation you have mentioned. I will share my story, but sadly, I must finish final exams first. Undecided

In Christ,
Andrew

Smiley No problem, Andrew. I can relate. Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:54:53 PM by militantsparrow » Logged

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »

It looks like its a lot of people have looked at your question but have not responded.  I know there are some on this site that have and maybe they will respond shortly.  I have not converted yet but I believe its only a matter of time..............! Smiley  Are you looking for a general stories or something in particular?

NMHS,
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm looking for general stories. I feel I need to fortify myself by reading the stories of others who have gone through what I'm going through. Do you know what I mean?

NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:57:07 AM »

NMHS,
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm looking for general stories. I feel I need to fortify myself by reading the stories of others who have gone through what I'm going through. Do you know what I mean?

Here is the story of where I am up to this point in my life.......

At the age of 15 I had a conversion moment in an AoG church and that is where I first came to know of and about Christ.  Over the next several years I drifted in and out of church and eventually I fell away.  I met my future wife (RC) 15 years ago and I started going to church with her.  I continued to go to church with her and her family and even got married in the church before I was confirmed.  During this period of my life I was not educated by myself or by anyone else from the RCC and therefore I was left to my own thoughts and my bible to decide what I wanted to believe about the RCC, (remember I came from a protestant background).  At that time there many issues I had with the church and I chose to believe what I wanted and that seemed all right because most of the Catholics I knew had the same thoughts in that they believed what they wanted and tossed out the rest.  From the time that my wife and I met to 2005 I was going to church because I believed in Jesus Christ because of my prior protestant days but I was pretty much spiritually dry, I was dragging myself to church because of my wife.

In 2005 we moved to another state for because of work and that was the year that I decided to start taking my classes.  There were still some issues about the Church that I had disagreed with but I would put that aside.  I won't get into details but I know that it was the Will of God for us to move and I felt it was time to become Catholic.  I thank God I did become Catholic because 2005 was a really tough year for my family and the only thing that got me through that year was the RCC.

In 2006 we moved back to our home state and I started to question some of the issues that I had with the church.   I began to become spiritually dry again with the RCC I started to revert back to the way of some of my protestant thoughts about the Church.  I felt that if I was going to become spiritual again then I would need to find it in the same church as where I first found Christ.  Well, I caused many problems within our household and as I started asking questions to my wife about the RCC she could not produce answers so I went looking to one spectrum without looking to the other.  I took every anti-RC statement out there and took it at face value.

Anyway, about 2 years ago I came off that kick when I decided I needed to know what the truth was and decide if the RCC was the one true church, mind you that I have never even heard about Orthodoxy nor had I heard anybody ever talk about it.    I have always been a person that takes a systematic approach or review to things and I was not doing that in this case.  So I inundated myself into books, commentaries, internet forums, debates, talk shows, pod cast ect.   To the best of my ability I was going to take a non biased approach to learning about Church History and the RCC.  So there came a point that I was ready to accept the RCC and most of its teachings, although I was still reluctant to accept some of its teachings.  I was thinking deep down that this should not be the case though, if it was the
one true church I needed to accept it all, but I just could not do it.  As I was studying I came across information about the OC and thought it was interesting but I had kind of decided not to look to much into the OC because there was not a close church nearby and I thought it was futile to even bother looking into this since it was not even a possibility of going to a OC.   I actually started to listen to some podcast about the OC and deliberately quit listening since I would never become Orthodox or attend a service.  Well that didn’t last long.  As it turned out I found out that in 2007 there was a very small OC mission started in a city about 2.5 hours away.  So for the last 10 months I have inundated myself with all kinds of material about the details of the RCC and the OC.  I won’t get into the specific issues I have with the RCC, but for the most part they are all similar to what most folks have with the church and these topics are debated quite a bit already so I don’t need to go there.

In my own personal systematic review process I believe that the OC is the original Church.  I don’t believe it is perfect, but none of us are.  I have really tried to be very unbiased in my studies.  I have always been an impatient (some call hyperactive) and so I have really been trying to take it real slow and pray a lot about this entire journey that I have been on.  What I don’t want to do is make a decision based on my own rational thinking without seeking the Will of God.  I created some issues with my wife about religion that run deep, and I have overcome those and much more in the last 10 months and I contribute this to the God bringing to me the knowledge of the OC and everything that follows with it.   

Up to a couple of months ago I was thinking I would be RCC one day and then Orthodox the next.  As militant sparrow put it for himself in terms of Ups and Downs, there have been plenty of Ups and Downs in my journey as well.  They can definitaley wear a person out at times.  Someone once said that you will turn into a Schizophrenic if you try to be RC and Orthodox.  I am not against the RCC and I believe that God does work in the RCC and of course I still have much to learn.  So for me, my desire to possibly become Orthodox is that it lines up with Gods’ will and I believe that is has held the ancient doctrines and has not added to any of it.  Hopefully I didn’t bore anyone.  This is where I am now and we will see what the future has in store. 

Caleb 

Militantsparrow,
I understand where you are coming from and possibly what you are looking for; continue to pray and seek Gods Will and those Ups and Downs will eventually start to subside.  Take Care and God Bless.
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »

NMHS,

Here is the story of where I am up to this point in my life.......

At the age of 15 I had a conversion moment in an AoG church and that is where I first came to know of and about Christ.  Over the next several years I drifted in and out of church and eventually I fell away.  I met my future wife (RC) 15 years ago and I started going to church with her.  I continued to go to church with her and her family and even got married in the church before I was confirmed.  During this period of my life I was not educated by myself or by anyone else from the RCC and therefore I was left to my own thoughts and my bible to decide what I wanted to believe about the RCC, (remember I came from a protestant background).  At that time there many issues I had with the church and I chose to believe what I wanted and that seemed all right because most of the Catholics I knew had the same thoughts in that they believed what they wanted and tossed out the rest.  From the time that my wife and I met to 2005 I was going to church because I believed in Jesus Christ because of my prior protestant days but I was pretty much spiritually dry, I was dragging myself to church because of my wife.

In 2005 we moved to another state for because of work and that was the year that I decided to start taking my classes.  There were still some issues about the Church that I had disagreed with but I would put that aside.  I won't get into details but I know that it was the Will of God for us to move and I felt it was time to become Catholic.  I thank God I did become Catholic because 2005 was a really tough year for my family and the only thing that got me through that year was the RCC.

In 2006 we moved back to our home state and I started to question some of the issues that I had with the church.   I began to become spiritually dry again with the RCC I started to revert back to the way of some of my protestant thoughts about the Church.  I felt that if I was going to become spiritual again then I would need to find it in the same church as where I first found Christ.  Well, I caused many problems within our household and as I started asking questions to my wife about the RCC she could not produce answers so I went looking to one spectrum without looking to the other.  I took every anti-RC statement out there and took it at face value.

Anyway, about 2 years ago I came off that kick when I decided I needed to know what the truth was and decide if the RCC was the one true church, mind you that I have never even heard about Orthodoxy nor had I heard anybody ever talk about it.    I have always been a person that takes a systematic approach or review to things and I was not doing that in this case.  So I inundated myself into books, commentaries, internet forums, debates, talk shows, pod cast ect.   To the best of my ability I was going to take a non biased approach to learning about Church History and the RCC.  So there came a point that I was ready to accept the RCC and most of its teachings, although I was still reluctant to accept some of its teachings.  I was thinking deep down that this should not be the case though, if it was the
one true church I needed to accept it all, but I just could not do it.  As I was studying I came across information about the OC and thought it was interesting but I had kind of decided not to look to much into the OC because there was not a close church nearby and I thought it was futile to even bother looking into this since it was not even a possibility of going to a OC.   I actually started to listen to some podcast about the OC and deliberately quit listening since I would never become Orthodox or attend a service.  Well that didn’t last long.  As it turned out I found out that in 2007 there was a very small OC mission started in a city about 2.5 hours away.  So for the last 10 months I have inundated myself with all kinds of material about the details of the RCC and the OC.  I won’t get into the specific issues I have with the RCC, but for the most part they are all similar to what most folks have with the church and these topics are debated quite a bit already so I don’t need to go there.

In my own personal systematic review process I believe that the OC is the original Church.  I don’t believe it is perfect, but none of us are.  I have really tried to be very unbiased in my studies.  I have always been an impatient (some call hyperactive) and so I have really been trying to take it real slow and pray a lot about this entire journey that I have been on.  What I don’t want to do is make a decision based on my own rational thinking without seeking the Will of God.  I created some issues with my wife about religion that run deep, and I have overcome those and much more in the last 10 months and I contribute this to the God bringing to me the knowledge of the OC and everything that follows with it.   

Up to a couple of months ago I was thinking I would be RCC one day and then Orthodox the next.  As militant sparrow put it for himself in terms of Ups and Downs, there have been plenty of Ups and Downs in my journey as well.  They can definitaley wear a person out at times.  Someone once said that you will turn into a Schizophrenic if you try to be RC and Orthodox.  I am not against the RCC and I believe that God does work in the RCC and of course I still have much to learn.  So for me, my desire to possibly become Orthodox is that it lines up with Gods’ will and I believe that is has held the ancient doctrines and has not added to any of it.  Hopefully I didn’t bore anyone.  This is where I am now and we will see what the future has in store. 

Caleb 

Militantsparrow,
I understand where you are coming from and possibly what you are looking for; continue to pray and seek Gods Will and those Ups and Downs will eventually start to subside.  Take Care and God Bless.

Thank you for sharing, Caleb. Your story is very interesting and encouraging.

trifon

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 04:22:04 AM »

I was baptized Roman Catholic as an infant in a country where Catholicism was seen not just as an expression of faith, but of an ethnic marker. It still persists to this day, the idea amongst sectors of the population that one is 'born Catholic'.  Admittedly as a young child I had no understanding and little patience for Mass, first communion, confirmation( I never was), and Christianity in general, falling away in my teens.  As of April 25th of this year I was received into the Orthodox Church after a three year struggle within myself....one day I wanted to remain a Catholic, the next to convert to Orthodoxy...painful, but the outcome could not have been better  Smiley
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 01:35:50 AM »

I was raised in the RCC, but converted to the OC after having spent a few years in the late 90's roaming through Protestant churches and ideologies then returning to the RCC in the summer of 99 and joined Orthodoxy around a year later.  I then left the OC after around two years and went back to the RCC which I have remained in until having had some recent doubts about things.  

I have noticed that a great, great deal of the people who convert to Orthodoxy seem to come from all manner of Protestant backrounds, yet few from the RCC (This may have something to do with the fact that the RCC has already existing Eastern rites which most Latins who wish to go Byzantine can join, yet still be under the Pope).  Also the RCC teaches that anyone who leaves their fold by their own fault will perish for eternity in Hell (A real convinced for many to stay with Rome).  A lot of these Protestant converts tend to have an almost passionate dislike, or at least distrust of the RCC, even more so then the average, cradle Orthodox (How many times have I been told by cradle OC's that their Church and the RCC are the "same thing" too many times to count).  

Catholicism just seems to have stronger subculture then Orthodoxy which doesn't allow for many to escape from her so easily.  The usual types who leave the RCC for other faiths seem to do so either because they are not so religious in the first place and are doing so to appease a spouse, or because they are misinformed about some doctrine or dogma held by the RCC (Or just hostile to some teaching).  They will then flee from Il Papa and his sheep as fast as their legs can carry them (And develop the most amazing anti Catholic prejudices and objections along the way).  I'm not trying to insult or defame anyone, but I am an astute student of human nature and these are just the observations that I take away from what I see.  Protestnat converts seem to like Orthodoxy because the OC, in many ways mirrors the faith that they have abandoned in its lack of legalism and permissiveness towards certain sexual matters.  Plus, for many of these Protestants Orthodoxy is seen as something exotic and less threatening to the American establishment then the evangelical faiths that they have abandoned (A lot of prottie converts seem to be in  a state of rebellion against their conservative Christian roots and Orthodoxy seems to be just vague enough to suit their needs).

All these Protestant converts make me really uncomfortable to be around because they are so Protestant in their outlook and mentality, while the cradle OC's seem allot more like cradle Catholics to me.  I grew up being really uncomfortable with Protestants and never associated with them much until I was in High School.  I still have trouble and am almost phobic towards them.  This is why I preffer ethnic Orthodoxy any day then to its convert mission parishes which so many seek to indoctrinate me into.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:38:47 AM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »

I was not raised as a Roman Catholic.  I was baptized Presbyterian in a very non-religous household.  then, around 11-13, I started going to a Catholic Church.  I LOVED it, and fully considered myself a Catholic, even though I hadn't made any steps toward conversion.  but it was tearing apart my relationship with my mother.  then, I went to an Orthodox Church and loved it...and eventually converted.  my mum was fine with it, since it wasn't "Catholic", in the Roman sence.  but now she has some reservations about it...confession, closed communion, etc.  But she's accepted that I am not and will NEVER be a left-wing Protestant like her, and she accepts me for who I am.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »

I was baptised and brought up in the RCC, attended Catholic school until 8th grade (during the '80s). The church I attended was conservative, with traditionalist leanings. We had the traditional devotions like May Crowining, Stations, Rosary, Exposition/Benediction of the Blessed sacrament, etc.... even an occasional Latin Novus Ordo. The sisters taught proper doctrine (transubstantiation, making a proper confession, etc), traditional prayers/lives of saints, and we attended Mass twice a week. The classrooms and library still had pre-Vatican II books still available. I was very in to the church, even wanted to be a priest. I had a make-shift altar in my bedroom, and my great aunt made me a full set of vestments. I attended the RCC until after I graduated high school At this point I began a study of the history of the church (beyond what I was taught at school). I studied protstantism, and attended an Anglican church for about a year until the church took on a female "priest" and I discovered the dark underbelly of Anglicanism (liberal morals, and wonky theology). I went back to the RCC but wasn't really happy as the parish and priest were far more liberal that what I had been used too. From there I explored Judaism, studied for two years with a rabbi towards converting, but in the end couldn't do it. In frustration I knelt and prayed "Lord, whether should I goest?". He directed me to a near by Orthodox church. I was a catechumen for about six months and was baptised on Theophany. I stayed in Orthodoxy for two years then ended up back in the traditionalist movement of the RCC (FSSP/SSPX/Independent).

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »

I loved the traditional latin Mass, Gregorian chant, and traditional devotions. I stayed in the RCC until about 2001 when I returned to Orthodoxy. I remained Orthodox, although not overly practising until 2007 when I went back to the RCC yet again. I finally returned recently and am increasing in my observance and prayer life. I have no noise to make or any grudge against the RCC, in fact I have much love and thanks to the good people, priests and sisters who taught me. Rather than see myself as having left the Catholic church, I say I have embraced it in its fullest, complete and true form.... "the faith once delivered to the saints"!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:17:01 PM by thetraditionalfrog » Logged

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 11:12:54 AM »

I loved the traditional latin Mass, Gregorian chant, and traditional devotions...I have no noise to make or any grudge against the RCC, in fact I have much love and thanks to the good people, priests and sisters who taught me. Rather than see myself as having left the Catholic church, I say I have embraced it in its fullest, complete and true form.... "the faith once delivered to the saints"!

This is what my husband, a former Catholic, says also.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Bres

Faith: Roman Catholic since birth, spiritual truth seeker, practicing Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 12:31:29 AM »

On my way........the journey has taken me many wonderful places, however I am on my way home........Praise GOD!

peace.
Evagelia

Faith: Greek Orthodox

Iconographer

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 05:12:43 PM »

Hi, Smiley

at the beggining I want to ask everyone to forgive me my english.. because I don't know it very well..

and one more thing, I think that not a lot of you know that the word "catholic" referring to the Catholic church originally meant Orthodox faith, just when the Catholic church separeted itself from Orthodox church took this word and made it its name.

When I was borned my parents didn't gave me baptism.. they wantet to give me a choice in my life, the reason was also that they weren't strongly believing..
So, when I grew up (about 15 years old)I took a baptism, I became Roman Catholic. I have chosen this faith because this was the faith of my country. I always believed in God and I wanted to come near to Him so I took baptism. I was going to church, taking part in a church life. But I always felt that something is missing.. I couldn't get satisfied with the faith.. I was seeking here and there, but no priest never could make me become nearer to God.. I felt in some way rejected from church.. I started to see what a lot of Christians see.. that church and faith is two different things.. catholics and not only they don't find in church safty, they don't learn about faith.. they go to church and see bad things happening there.. which on the end put them to search for something else.. anyway that's not completely what has happened to me. I stoped going to church because simply I didn't see sense anymore, but I praid and kept faith in God inside me, from a young child I was always telling God" my life is Yours so put me on a path you consider the best for me", and God always protected me. Until one day in a miricaulus way took me to Greece. When I was 19 I was working and giving lessons from my native language to the 16 year old American  girl. She was very rich. Her father has bought holidays in Greece for him and his daughter but 2 days before the flight something came up and he called me if I could go with her instead of him. I myself was just changing the company in which i was working so i had exactly two weeks free before to start new job, i packed and went to Greece. 2 days before coming back to my country I met my husband. From the first moment we knew God has arranged all this for us to be together, my husband also miraculisly was in that place where we met.. so he asked me to stay with him 2 more weeks, but I already knew that I'll stay for ever.. after half a year we got married, now we are 3 years together and have 2 beautifull daughters ( 2 years old and  year old), 2 years ago I became Orthodox, I took a new baptism, and I have chosen name Evagelia. I knew from the first moment that this is the right thing to do. I never hesitated. God has Showed me. I gave Him my life, trusted in Him and He showed me that the Orthodox faith is the only true one. I have experienced a lot in this faith. I saw lots of miracules, I've met monks and priests that are clearly enlightened by God's grace. My life changed, I opened my eyes in this faith.. and I understood some things. When I was Roman Catholic- I believed but I didn't know a thing- although I was going to church and I had lessons at school. i was living in a world. When I became Orthodox I saw that the life before was a lie, was full of hidden temptations, that there was a mechanism which makes people to believe they do well when they don't. Now I am happy, although when i know i struggle more, I fail more often.. but I never doubt if I chosen the right faith, I know orthodox faith is difficult to put into life but this isn't a reason to search for a "comfortable faith" which treets human weeknesess- sins as "not sins"- just to make things easier.. that is a clever thing to do.. So I found peace and happiness. And I am gratful to God that He showed me, because now I feel my life has a meaning, and I know that I have to faight my weaknesses . when i was catholic, i was impatient and i was always runing, trying to catch i didn;t even knew what, so i never had peace inside me. from the time I am orthodox I don't run anymore, and there is no more reaching for something in the darkness, there is light now.. Sometimes.. when I say my sins and receive Holy Comunion.. after i feel like living in heaven.. and when I sin I miss that feeling of being near to our Lord, that joyfull heaven on earth.. and this makes me to try harder to become a good person.. although it's hard..

In Orthodox faith I "smell" God in the air, I see the light that it is His, everyhere clearly I sens God, and yet in church, kissing the pictures, Icons of Saints all around in the light of candles.. that makes me feel that religion is true, and the saints looking at me from the walls, each of them with different story of their life motivate me, make me know that heaven is here on earth..

I don't know if I helped.. my advice is to pray to God to show which religion is a true one and God will show..
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:18:59 PM by Evagelia » Logged
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »

Beloved to Our Lord,

I would like to remind you that this is a Christian Forum focussed on Orthodox Christian Converts and their issues. It is not a place for one-upsmanship or a site that encourages  slander or negative terms used for our posters.

We request that you use polite and correct tems when addressing each other. Please use  the terms Eastern Orthodox and Western Orthodox to denote that they are in Communion with the Patriarch of Constantinople or other Orthodox Bishops. Eastern Orthodox  denotes they are following the Eastern (Byzantine or Slavic Rites ) of the Holy Orthodox Church and Western Orthodox indicates that they are following the  Western European Rites of the Holy Orthodox Church. All Orthodox Christians have the right to call themselves "Orthodox Catholics "because the word "catholic" means universal. For the purpose of understanding where one is coming from, and ease of inquirers on the Convert Issues Forum, it would be best to identify yourself using non-confusing terminology.

Likewise when one is a Roman Catholic , Eastern Rite Catholic in Communion with Rome, or a Coptic Orthodox, or other than noted above, please use simple definitions that enable our inquirers to understand who you are and how that impacts on your responses and answers to Convert Issue Topics. Please do not use terms that are not allowed on the OC.net or terms that are seen by the other as denigrating or hurtful.

Thank you,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:57:55 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »

Hi, Smiley

at the beggining I want to ask everyone to forgive me my english.. because I don't know it very well...

[quote shortened]

...In Orthodox faith I "smell" God in the air, I see the light that it is His, everyhere clearly I sens God, and yet in church, kissing the pictures, Icons of Saints all around in the light of candles.. that makes me feel that religion is true, and the saints looking at me from the walls, each of them with different story of their life motivate me, make me know that heaven is here on earth..

I don't know if I helped.. my advice is to pray to God to show which religion is a true one and God will show..

What a beautiful story, Evagelia. Thank you for sharing it with us.

DanM

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »

Thank you,
Lawrence

I was raised United Methodist/Free Methodist. In high school I discovered the Apostolic Fathers in the Christian bookstore and went with a western civ class to hear a Greek Orthodox priest speak (on what I cannot remember, but I was deeply impressed by the very temple)--two massively important exposures.  I knew I loathed Fundamentalism, so I thought maybe something more Protestant would do, but only two real choices materialized--Catholicism or Orthodoxy.  At that time (early 80s) I had a hard time finding any Orthodoxy in Oregon and no meaty literature.  While in Europe (as an Army brat) I became Catholic after falling in love with the local Catholic Army community there.  After five years of being Catholic, I came to view every parish as a potential madhouse, I was unnerved by contemporary theologians (whom as a graduate patristics student at Catholic University of America I could not avoid) and could not provide historical or doctrinal backing for some important Catholic claims.  These three factors more or less drove me into the arms of Orthodoxy.  I have no regrets about leaving and it has been 22 years now.  My five year Roman holiday might have brought me to the edge, but at least it enabled me to pick up the woman that became my wife, so it wasn't quite all for nothing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:36:42 PM by DanM » Logged
DanM

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 11:00:10 PM »

Lawrence:  Thanks for the response. I guess I'm looking for general stories. I feel I need to fortify myself by reading the stories of others who have gone through what I'm going through. Do you know what I mean?
Dan:  If it helps, a few observations about my own journey.  
1.  Orthodoxy is like an enormous house that you cannot finish exploring in your lifetime, but everything you need is available in any one room.
2.  Orthodox Fathers are less bookish than Catholic Fathers.  Among the Catholics, the authors most resembling the Orthodox are those condemned as Quietists or semi-Quietists (e.g., Fenelon).  I felt, in my callow youth, that Orthodox Fathers were coarser than their Western counter-parts, not as interesting etc.  I also felt Orthodox priests were by and large rather less refined than their Catholic counterparts.  Orthodox-minded authors like St. Faustus of Riez and St. Vincent of Lerins etc. have been denigrated as semi-Pelagians.
3.  You may find it interesting to contrast Scuploi's The Spiritual Combat (1589) (or St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite's translation, Unseen Warfare) with St. Theophan the Recluse's reworking of St. Nicodemus.  
4.   Since my introduction to Orthodoxy was presented by the Apostolic Fathers, I was puzzled to find that the Catholic church seemed to regard the Apostolic Fathers as almost pre-historical Christianity.  I was pleased to find the service to St. Nectarius refering to St. Ignatius of Antioch; St. John Chrysostom's homily on the same saint warmed my heart.  I know that it was not until Vatican II that the study of church history before the 1000 was regarded more auspiciously.  Perhaps Catholicism has promoted St. Ignatius more widely since I left. 
5.  Some years ago, the enigma of the Catholic church was captured by the remark of a Catholic commentator on the ancient canon forbidding compulsory clerical celibacy.  I wish I could quote the remark word for word, but I recall that it was to the effect that that canon should not be so construed as to conflict with current teaching.
All the best, Dan
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:06:07 PM by DanM » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 01:31:02 AM »

The tangent on how to label Catholics has been moved to Orthodox-Other Christian Private Discussions.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,23485.0.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:37:55 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »

Evagelia,
It is a wonderful response. Thank you.

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 07:58:36 PM »

Lawrence:  Thanks for the response. I guess I'm looking for general stories. I feel I need to fortify myself by reading the stories of others who have gone through what I'm going through. Do you know what I mean?
Dan:  If it helps, a few observations about my own journey.  
1.  Orthodoxy is like an enormous house that you cannot finish exploring in your lifetime, but everything you need is available in any one room.
2.  Orthodox Fathers are less bookish than Catholic Fathers.  Among the Catholics, the authors most resembling the Orthodox are those condemned as Quietists or semi-Quietists (e.g., Fenelon).  I felt, in my callow youth, that Orthodox Fathers were coarser than their Western counter-parts, not as interesting etc.  I also felt Orthodox priests were by and large rather less refined than their Catholic counterparts.  Orthodox-minded authors like St. Faustus of Riez and St. Vincent of Lerins etc. have been denigrated as semi-Pelagians.
3.  You may find it interesting to contrast Scuploi's The Spiritual Combat (1589) (or St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite's translation, Unseen Warfare) with St. Theophan the Recluse's reworking of St. Nicodemus.  
4.   Since my introduction to Orthodoxy was presented by the Apostolic Fathers, I was puzzled to find that the Catholic church seemed to regard the Apostolic Fathers as almost pre-historical Christianity.  I was pleased to find the service to St. Nectarius refering to St. Ignatius of Antioch; St. John Chrysostom's homily on the same saint warmed my heart.  I know that it was not until Vatican II that the study of church history before the 1000 was regarded more auspiciously.  Perhaps Catholicism has promoted St. Ignatius more widely since I left. 
5.  Some years ago, the enigma of the Catholic church was captured by the remark of a Catholic commentator on the ancient canon forbidding compulsory clerical celibacy.  I wish I could quote the remark word for word, but I recall that it was to the effect that that canon should not be so construed as to conflict with current teaching.
All the best, Dan

Thank you, Dan.
I find Eastern Father's to be more "earthy." Even the Orthodox priests whom I read or hear on AFR seem much more down to earth than Catholic priests. I very much admire this quality in them.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 05:19:37 AM »

I would be interested to know if there are any famous people (especially philosophers and theologians) who have converted from Catholicism ot Orthodoxy. I would love to read their conversion stories. It seems we have far more Protestant converts than Catholic converts.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 07:15:55 AM »

I would be interested to know if there are any famous people (especially philosophers and theologians) who have converted from Catholicism ot Orthodoxy. I would love to read their conversion stories. It seems we have far more Protestant converts than Catholic converts.

Selam

Wow. Tha would be very interesting.

I'd like to read some of those stories my self.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 07:48:54 AM »

Selam

The well known Jesuit Fr George Maloney.

Has anybody detailed the journey of his conversion from Catholicism to Orthodoxy?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 08:35:31 AM »

Selam

Jaroslav Pelikan. Although I don't know whether he was famous or not.

Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »

Selam

Jaroslav Pelikan was Lutheran.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
DanM

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 09:37:37 AM »

Selam

The well known Jesuit Fr George Maloney.

Has anybody detailed the journey of his conversion from Catholicism to Orthodoxy?

You may wish to visit http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=267038 for some of the details.
My favorite remark (reserved for those who do not follow the link) is "I've seen this happen more than once before--a Latin Catholic gets interested in Byzantine spirituality, and the momentum propels him on into Orthodoxy."
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »

Selam

Orthodoc

...before conversion.

Quote from: Wikipedia
For most of his life Pelikan was a Lutheran and was an ordained pastor in that tradition. In 1998, however, he and his wife Sylvia were received into the Orthodox Church in America in St Vladimir's Seminary Chapel. Members of Pelikan's family remember him saying that he had not as much converted to Orthodoxy as "returned to it, peeling back the layers of my own belief to reveal the Orthodoxy that was always there.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »

Selam

Orthodoc

...before conversion.

Quote from: Wikipedia
For most of his life Pelikan was a Lutheran and was an ordained pastor in that tradition. In 1998, however, he and his wife Sylvia were received into the Orthodox Church in America in St Vladimir's Seminary Chapel. Members of Pelikan's family remember him saying that he had not as much converted to Orthodoxy as "returned to it, peeling back the layers of my own belief to reveal the Orthodoxy that was always there.

You may want to reread the posts quoted above...

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »

You may want to reread the posts quoted above...

Doh!  Embarrassed

Tags: Catholic to Orthodoxy Converts 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: